Defensive Carry banner

S&W Model 40 Snubbie Question.

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  DukeShooter 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I think that I may have stumbled across what I'm hoping is a "deal" for a classic carry revolver. I stopped by a local Pawn Shop that I frequent and they had a nice little S&W Model 40 .38 for $399. It's used and not one of the new "factory classics". I don't have the serial number yet so I don't know what year it was produced in. Before I go on, let's me say this, I either go for both modern or classic when adding firearms to my collection. Also, I am looking for a "summer" and pocket gun to augment my current carry pistol, a Glock 33, 357 Sig. I'm a skinny 5'9" and need something small as my lack of "bulk" makes it hard to conceal some handguns. Pocket carry is also something that has gotten me interested in a revolver of this type.

Is the $399 asking price too much? It looks like it is in NRA Good Condition (but I am not experienced in grading gun condition), 90-95% blue so it hasn't been an everyday carry gun. Looks like it could have been a "nightstand gun". The bore is clean and un-pitted, no rust but the cylinder release sticks bad making it hard to release. I'll have to have a gunsmith look at it, probably gummed up.

Thanks for any help!

The Duke.

See less See more
#2 ·
If it is a pinned barrel Model 40 I'd snap it up if I found one in that condition at that price. It's only problem is probably the fact that it actually hasn't been shot very much and is likely gummed up. A cleaning and a lube job would improve things immensely. I like the looks of the Model 40 and like the notion of the all steel J-Frame.

#4 ·
I agree with everyone else. I'd say jump on it, before someone else does...

#6 ·
Cool! Thanks guys, I thought it was a good deal and just what I was looking for so I'm going to put it on layaway and see if the wife will "spring" for the balance as my "big" Xmas Present. I'll post photos!

The Duke

#12 ·
Oh but shooting it will be much more pleasant to shoot with a little weight. I'm so old school that I think 21 oz. is a light weight revolver.

#13 ·
I bought it! Well laid it away.

Hi all,

Well I went and did it, put the little puppy on layaway! Although I will probably get it out in a month or so, I'll post photos then! :danceban:

I gotta do some bragging too! Its not a model 40 it is an EARLY Centennial! I did some research on a mfg. Date on its serial number #1551 indicates VERY early date of mfg. I found that it was made in the 1st year of production, 1952! The 4-digit serial numbers 0001-1xxx were all made in 1952 and for me that makes it WAY Cool to own it! One of the first 2000 of any classic firearm is fantastic to me I like owning part of firearms history (like my 1948 Browning A-5 shotgun) and am a classic firearms fan. It looks to have the original wood grips too.

Now I'll spend all night reading about them on the web, downloading exploded drawings, looking at holsters, reloading information,, etc.

Now all I have to do is keep my Wife's hands off it, she thinks they are "cute". First thing she is going to do is try it out in her makeup/handgun pocket in her purse. I'm gonna have to get her that Ruger LCP now. :frown:

That's all for now, The very excited Duke!

#16 ·
Nice! Be sure to post pics when you get it :yup:

Welcome to the snubbie club :35:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.