Defensive Carry banner

A couple LEO interactions the last month.

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  kelcarry 
#1 ·
I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd post a couple recent interactions I've had with the local LEO's.

I work a full time "real job" then I also run a small business doing network consulting, infrastructure, and network administration. Since its my side job I usually do the work at night, that way I don't have employees in my way, and the clients I work for don't experience much down time.

Since I do the work I night I always make it a point to ensure I'm carrying, and don't miss a beat. All my clients know I carry, and have no problems with it.

A couple weeks ago I was at one of my clients, a Veterinarian's office, doing some work, I had to go out to my vehicle to get some equipment, when I did I heard some noises in the back of the building. I immediatly drew to a low and ready position and cautiously approached the back of the building. When I made the corner I observed two individuals going through some junk in the back of the building. They immediatly noticed me and took off running. I went straight in and called the owner, who in turn called the sherrif's office.

A few minutes later the owner and sherrif arrived. Now Arkansas is a duty to inform state, so in this situation I notified the sherrif, and the owner chimed in "I'm carrying as well". The sherrif took my statement and as he was leaving he said "Make sure you have your gun at the ready when you leave, just in case they come back".

So that situation was not eventful and certainly positive, and I was quite shocked when he told me to have my gun drawn when I left.

The second situation happened a few weeks ago as well. My wife and I had a fight, and in our relationship, once the fight hits a certain point, we remove ourselves from the fight to ensure nothing more damaging is said. So I took a drive and wound up at the local walmart. I parked in a corner of the parking lot with the intentions of cooling off and listening to some music for a while.

I sat there for about 5 minutes before I was approached by a local police officer. I rolled the window down as he asked what was going on. I told him the whole cooling off deal, he said great, its better to meet me in this situation than to have a dommestic call, so thank you, then drove off.

I have a police scanner in the truck that I always listen to as well just for kicks and giggles. As he drove off I heard him call dispatch to say "Its just a guy cooling off, no worries." Dispatch keyed back to say "Did you get his name? Is it so and so? Were there any kids in the vehicle? We're still looking for the custodial kidnapping father from earlier" The officer responded "didn't get his name, but he fits the description, I'll go back and re-address". When I heard that I immediatly got out my ID, and CHCL, rolled the window down, and reached my hand out with them in hand.

The officer drove back up, this time behind me, hand on his weapon and approached cautiously. I said "I heard you'd be back, here's my info, I'm not the guy your looking for" He chuckeled and said, " I thought that was a sanner antenna on the roof". I told him "I am armed, here is my CHCL." He said "Okay" looked at my ID, and said "Have a great night" and left.

So two very booring contacts with the LEO, but definatly not one of these horror stories I read about getting disarmed and the like. Just thought i'd share a couple positive encounters to offset some of the negative encouters I've read about! :)

X

See less See more
#5 ·
Maybe I am just fortunate and/or lucky or whatever, but I have never in 69 years had as many as 3 LEO interractions for anything in my entire life. Three in one month makes me shake my head. Even your stories make me concerned. I hear a noise behind my house, my firearm may be at the ready but it is not to a "low and ready position". I am married 46 years and never had arguments with my wife that necessitate both of us to call a halt somehow because more damaging words will be said and I have to go park at a Walmart to cool down. Different strokes for different folks--it is your life but I did find your thread troubling about the conditions under which you eventually had to deal with an LEO--not just one but three. Please--I am not trying to be a "whatever"--it is just reading your comments troubled me. I apologize if my comments tend to offend.

#17 ·
Kelcarry, while I appreciate your comments, I find it hard to believe that in your forty something years of marriage youve never had to walk away to cool down.

As you said "different strokes for different folks". I have enough respect for my wife to know that if an argument goes to far, it's time to walk away, or take a time out to cool down, regroup and address the issue later when both parties aren't as heated. You find it troubling, I find it respectful.

X

#7 ·
kelcarry, you are fortunate if you have never had to walk away to cool down. Or you don't discuss enough differences with your wife? Good for you, anyway.

ximat1, I think you handled it well. Cooling off is always a good idea, too. As most of us know, we can't take back the things we spit out in anger at our loved ones.

In a duty-to-inform state, you do not have to inform unless you are asked for ID. Sounds like ximat1 was not asked for ID the first time.

#9 ·
kelcarry, you are fortunate if you have never had to walk away to cool down. Or you don't discuss enough differences with your wife? Good for you, anyway.

ximat1, I think you handled it well. Cooling off is always a good idea, too. As most of us know, we can't take back the things we spit out in anger at our loved ones.

In a duty-to-inform state, you do not have to inform unless you are asked for ID. Sounds like ximat1 was not asked for ID the first time.
This is not the case in all "duty to inform" states. Everyone should check their state laws regarding duty to inform requirements.

#8 ·
You have a scanner in your car for giggles. You have to drive away from the house to cool off from a domestic discussion. You prepared for the dumpster diving duo by going to "low ready" instead of just calling 911.

Hmmmmm. Interesting.

#14 ·
GREAT change with a good encounter with a LEO if they all went this well maybe there wouldn't be so many civilians being accused of being LEO haters & Leos being thought of as civilian haters.

#19 ·
Hey Ximat1: Appreciate your reply, and, as I said, if my comments in any way are intrusive or offending--I apoloize. To answer your "hard to believe" comment---the answer is NEVER---that is what I call "respectful". Still, as opposed to comments by others, having no interractions with LEOs is better than having good interractions with LEOs, especially three interractions in a month's time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.