Defensive Carry banner

Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why?

14K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  loboleather 
#1 ·
Just bought myself an 870. 18" barrel with 7+1 extension. Been looking at the new Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite with 3 00 Buck and a 1 oz slug. Always just bought field ammo for my shotguns, as that was what i used a shotgun for. This is my first defense shotgun, and I just need some guidance on what to look for in ammo so give me some suggestions.

#2 ·
Honestly, I just tend to use the Remington 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot, that comes in the green boxes of 5, for a couple of bucks. And back that up with Brennke K.O. slugs on the stock. I don't really see a need to get much fancier than that. Although the Federal Flight Control rounds look interesting.

Just make sure you pattern whatever load you want to use.

#3 ·
All my serious ammo is Federal with the "Flite Control" wad. It patterns unbelievably well and the tightness of that pattern is not dependant on the choke of the gun. I can regularly hit a torso sized steel target with all 9 OO pellets at over 40 yards. I don't use a lot of slugs, but the ones I have are Federal "Tru Ball" that shoot extremely well in all of my shotguns, again independant of choke or rifling due to their design.

Except for the Winchester .410 Judge load, which I think is neat from a handgun, I have never cared for mixed slug-buckshot loads.

#4 ·
I was afraid the 12 ga was kind of gimmicky myself, but am a noob on this particular area. Thats why I ask you guys. LOL Want something dependable and proven not just new and cool.

#5 ·
00 Buck is probably what you are looking for then, its been doing the job just fine for a long time. Really any of the buckshot loads should be ok, some people swear by #1 or #4. Just stay away from birdshot, and slugs are more of a specialty use item, for penetrating cover.

#6 ·
What i was leaning towards was 00 buck didnt know if there was any one brand in particular that seems to give exceptional performance.

#18 ·
This x100

A while back I picked up a bunch of Personal Defense loads from Federal with big birdshot. I was looking for a reduced penetration house load. It would not pattern worth a darn in any of my guns. By chance I happened to pick up one of the wads off of the ground after firing, it had a spreader wad in it....

Patterning makes all the difference. It's the only way to know, and if you have a need for low penetration in your apartment or house, it's even more important to pattern. You've got to keep all those small pellets on the target.

#11 ·
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but here is a decent explanation of how to pattern a shotgun: http://www.ehow.com/how_4893281_pattern-a-shotgun.html

Figure out how long you think you might need to shoot it, I would figure out the longest shot inside your home, and pattern it for that distance, and half that distance at a minimum. Some spread is good, but obviously you don't want a huge spread.

#15 ·
No you are not insultng my intelligence. I was actually contemplating that very thing last night and what distance to start at. Part of the advantage of having the gun shipped from the other side of the country, is I have time to plan.

Honestly, I just tend to use the Remington 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot, that comes in the green boxes of 5, for a couple of bucks. And back that up with Brennke K.O. slugs on the stock. I don't really see a need to get much fancier than that. Although the Federal Flight Control rounds look interesting.

Just make sure you pattern whatever load you want to use.
You and many others are recommending the Remington and "Flite Control" Federal, So I will probably try those out, and according to multiple reviews that Brenneke KO slug is GTG. So I may add a few of those to a side saddle or buttstock holder.

Keep any and all suggestions coming.

#12 ·
This is my first defense shotgun, and I just need some guidance on what to look for in ammo so give me some suggestions.
Since you purchased a shotgun with a fixed cylinder barrel, I think that your only good option here is to look at the Federal loads that use their famous FLITECONTROL® wad that so many others have recommended here. That ammo will give you the best odds of your patterns holding up downrange, and not being blown apart, and thus ineffective.

The Federal ammo that you want to specifically look at are their Vital-Shok® with FLITECONTROL® hunting rounds in 00 Buckshot, and also their PREMIUM PERSONAL DEFENSE product line, which is available in both 00 and #4 Buckshot. The Premium Personal Defense also offers lower recoil, compared to the full power Vital-Shok® ammo.

Now if you had asked about what shotgun to buy in the first place, I would have advised getting a gun that accepted choke tubes. But the Federal FLITECONTROL® Wads do have an excellent reputation of patterning well with cylinder choked guns, despite the lack of any choke in the barrel.

#14 ·
Buy a few different brands of OO and go shoot some paper to see how they pattern and how they cycle in YOUR gun. Most ammo works but only testing will tell what works best for you and your new friend,

#16 ·
I have the Remington green box 00 also, and I've shot it out of my Mossberg 500 7-round tube shotty, and I like how it patterns out to 25 feet

...but I prefer the Federal flightcontrol wad, its what we get issued at work and I've used it in tatical shotgun training where we had to shoot a hostage taker (human shaped steel plate) behind a hostage (another human shaped steel plate) and everyone in the class took out the BG without hitting the hostage from 16 yards
it patterns very well

#21 ·
Went to Brenneke's website, and found this...

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tactical_home_defense.html

Found this newly introduced on Tactical-Life.com SHOT blog.

This year Brenneke introduced their Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum 12 gauge shotgun slugs. This slug was developed with the military and law enforcement for use in difficult urban environments. The slug canblow through a tough car windshield, punch through clothing and still penetrate 31 inches of FBI Spec ballistic gelatin. It is made of solid antimony and has the strength to punch completely through both sides of a tire and rim, or to blow right through an engine block. Contact Brenneke USA at 800-753-9733, brennekeusa.com.

Auto part Automotive lighting Ammunition Bullet Automotive engine part

Take out a zombie or an '83 buick....your choice....LOL:danceban:

#22 ·
I don't tend to get to caught up in the whole "designed for the military or le thing," those slugs may be great, but so are their K.O. slugs, which you can get in a box of 5 for a few bucks, similar with the Remington Green Box 00 I use. A for defensive purposes, a slug is a slug, it's a big chunk of lead to penetrate cover, for hunting with rifled barrels its a bit different.

As far as distance for patterning, really, that is something you need to determine, but my thinking is, figure out the longest shot you plan to take inside your home, and shoot that distance, (say 10m), then divide it in half, and shoot that distance (5m), and then if I had the rounds, time, and space, I would double the distance of the longer one, and shoot that. Because gunfights and SD situations are dynamic and changing, and it is always good to know the capabilities of your weapon. Different rounds are going to pattern differently too, so that is something to watch out for. But that is all just my opinion.

Also, when you get the shotgun, work on learning how to use the recoil of a shot to help you work the slide, that makes for faster follow-up shots.

#23 · (Edited)
Here is probably the most elaborate test/comparisons on shotgun ballistics I've seen. While never having tested/compared 00 buck with #1 buck in my house against an actual intruder or my wife's cat, I have compared both loads on pumpkins and targets out on the farm. I've decided to keep my 590 loaded with eight rounds of Remington #1 buckshot.

"...A 2¾ inch load firing 16 .30 cal pellets, this offering from Remington fired from an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum exhibited excellent average penetration of approximately 16.5 inches. Temporary stretch cavity measured approximately 8.5 inches. Shot recovered exhibited minimal deformation.

In our opinion, this load is superior to 00 buck for selection as a tactical shotgun load. While exhibiting slightly less penetration, overall penetration is still acceptable and if all pellets strike their intended target there is potential to create approximately 77% more wound tract with the additional 7 pellets."

#26 ·
I use the Federal 7 or 8 birdshot, the farthest shot i would take from inside my home is only about 5-6 yards so i am not worried about spreading, but i am worried about over penetration as the walls are somewhat thin and I don't wanna accidentally shoot Mom or Grandma. On the streets when I use it for work, I load it with Hornaday TAP personal defense 00 buck

#27 ·
This is just my personal opinion, but ditch the birdshot around the house. I realize over penetration concerns, but at least go with some #4 buckshot. And then figure out where in your home you have good fields of fire. Over-penetration is bad, but so is not enough penetration. Just something for you to look into.

#28 ·
@jwhite. I know this sounds silly but I buy what's cheap. As long as it says 00 buck and it's a name brand I will buy it. I don't plan on using my shotgun outside my home so any shot I have is going to be less than twenty yards. At ten yards all the major brands put massive holes in my targets.

Don't over think it. Buck shot is a crusher. Any of the major names will be fine.

#29 ·
Well I went to WW last night and they were out of Remington Green box, and ddnt carry Federal. I wanted 2 3/4 but all they had was 3". So I bought the 15 rd "value pack of Winchester Super-X 3" for 11.47. I am sure they will do fine, and 15 rounds will let me shoot it for pattern and still load the tube up for the house.

Just want to find some slugs for the small occasion I may need those.

#30 ·
Slugs are like buck shot, super crushers! Go to Wally's and buy the cheapest you can buy of the big brand names.

PS. Have fun and don't break your shoulder. :)

#32 ·
They didnthave any 12 gauge slugs in stock. They have been known on occasion ot have the new Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite with the slug and 00 buck combo. Ill probably just fund a good slug when they get them back in and buy those.

#38 ·
I have not. As the gun was a GB purchase, The Postal Service (delivering funds) and the UPS (delivering gun) is making me wait in agony. The gun is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. UGH. Cant wait to put some lead downrange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.