Defensive Carry banner

Hi Noon Bottom Line rig

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Just an interest thread for anyone not familiar with these. Something folks can refer too if thinking of this style.

I bought this one from beretta1526 - excellent guy to deal with, and it's a Walther P99 sob type rig. He could not use it so trusting it would suit my SW99 decided to snag it just to extend my options.

Now I am not generally an SOB rig fan - mainly for reasons of comfort plus the spinal hazard but - if using one do let its bulk sit around the 5 o'clock area as against dead center. In this case and worn like this - the gun's main bulk is well to side of spine and muzzle area is over the upper part of my sacrum - thus from a vertebral (lower lumbar) POV not overly hazardous.

Comfort is not anywhere near what I get from the OWB Eagle Defender and SIG - which is and will remain EDC - that said it is well bearable and if not too much sitting then acceptable. With my usual vest on - and without careless forward bending, printing is not much of an issue. The SW99 is one of my guns that has seen occasional carry duty and it is useful because even if holstered it is small enough to transition to a large pocket at times - in winter particularly.

Draw is surprisingly easy - just needs a fwd bend and sidebend left - just a bit more than usual, and gun comes to hand well - reholstering is less easy - but that is because something new.

I did slam in one of my extended mags but in fact with a std mag of course that protrusion is lost - probably best for this set up. T shirt gets rucked up easily as you'll notice.

There is a very useful tension screw close to trigger guard area - it is visible. Slacked that off a shade for now just to get the right degree of adequate hold. Rig is well made and I like the belt slot arrangement.

Pics are primitive - as I was shooting blind with remote!!! Plus had to use flash. I notice I forgot to put gun belt thru a side belt loop but no matter, just wanted to try it out and take a pic or three.

See less See more
#3 ·
P95Carry said:
Now I am not generally an SOB rig fan - mainly for reasons of comfort plus the spinal hazard but - if using one do let its bulk sit around the 5 o'clock area as against dead center. In this case and worn like this - the gun's main bulk is well to side of spine and muzzle area is over the upper part of my sacrum - thus from a vertebral (lower lumbar) POV not overly hazardous.
For SOB it looks pretty good, as do the pics! Pretty good for "shooting" blind! Similar positioning to a Gould&Goodrich SOB I have for my Glock 26. Nancy has a Triple K rig positioned similarly. Your comment regarding the spinal issue is interesting to me though. We had felt the muzzle position was a slightly lower spinal risk, and our muzzles probably extend less than yours, or to a lesser degree, only to the edge of our spines or Sacrum (learned a new term tonight!). Obviously to each their own, but I was still concerned, so I'm a little less concerned now I guess.............just conservatively careful.....Having said that, its a pretty good draw and re-holstering, and pretty comfortable. Not just for every day, or an icy winter day in Texas (dream on - it was 106 today.....:gah: )

Anyway - the pics really helped me visualize the matter, especially the spine issue and the Sacrum! LOL! Thank you!:yup:

#4 ·
icy winter day in Texas
Shucks Richard - hell will freeze over first :wink: Mind you - I do hear now and again in winter of TX having some ice - when rumor has it the road wrecks go crazy LOL!

The spinal issue is often discussed and is IMO a real one - if a rig is very centered. Mainly in the case of a hard fall on that area. I would never wear this when biking for that reason, even tho my positioning is right of center for gun's main mass.

Yes the muzzle does come low enough to only cover the upper sacrum - which is a very tough bone - and tho it could fracture in extreme trauma situations - is still IMO less risky than something which thru blunt trauma effects could subluxate, or worse - the L5 or L4 vertebrae.

If that occured then it could produce what is called a ''Cauda equina'' syndrome - basically - a hemiplegia.

Like with so many things - we have to assess risk with convenience factors.

#5 ·
P95Carry said:
If that occured then it could produce what is called a ''Cauda equina'' syndrome - basically - a hemiplegia.
Huh? LOL! Is this a bruised tailbone? Or a blood clot on the arse...lol :buttkick:

Thanks for the "word a day" too!:congrats:

#6 ·
I am not a fan of sob , but do admit to having an original galco ( pre double loops ) that i use occationaly , but like the pics i dont wear it over the spine , its just an extreme fbi rake to me lol .

#7 ·
Huh? LOL! Is this a bruised tailbone? Or a blood clot
Sorry Richard - well, bruised tail bone probably for sure but hemiplegia is paralysis of the lower extremities - quadraplegia being all four extremities. IIRC (it's been long time) - many folks use the general term paraplegia.

The cauda equina is essentially the lumbar nerve plexus. Back in 70's when still practicing I had a guy as a patient who was a showjumper but had troubles. On X-ray found he had a spondylolysthesis - where L5 vertebra is badly shifted forward and with trauma could act like a guillotine to cause a cauda equina. Told him he had to quit - or else.

Sorry - getting carried away again! :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I want Bud and QK to come read this thread. Then they won't be able make smart remarks about waiting until they have insomnia to read some of mine.

Way to go, Chris.:rofl:

#10 ·
I always learn here. That's why I love this site.

"hemiplegia is paralysis of the lower extremities - quadraplegia being all four extremities. IIRC (it's been long time) - many folks use the general term paraplegia......The cauda equina is essentially the lumbar nerve plexus. Back in 70's when still practicing I had a guy as a patient who was a showjumper but had troubles. On X-ray found he had a spondylolysthesis - where L5 vertebra is badly shifted forward and with trauma could act like a guillotine to cause a cauda equina."

Darn - its great having really smart folks here.:image035:

#11 ·
P95Carry said:
Sorry Richard - well, bruised tail bone probably for sure but hemiplegia is paralysis of the lower extremities - quadraplegia being all four extremities. IIRC (it's been long time) - many folks use the general term paraplegia.

The cauda equina is essentially the lumbar nerve plexus. Back in 70's when still practicing I had a guy as a patient who was a showjumper but had troubles. On X-ray found he had a spondylolysthesis - where L5 vertebra is badly shifted forward and with trauma could act like a guillotine to cause a cauda equina. Told him he had to quit - or else.

Sorry - getting carried away again! :rolleyes:
Ok, what did you do before you retired. I have come to the obvious conclusion that it was in the medical field. Either that or you have a medical dictionary at your disposal. Or both.

#12 ·
Jar - I mentioned in a post (somewhere) - I was an osteopath in UK - from 1967 thru 1974 in fact. Gave up due to my own back!! (that usually gets a laugh!).

I have always in a sense been an engineer - back then a ''body engineer'' - later on I became a qualified engineer, eventually (back to University in 1992 to formalize it all).

Richard - more stuff comes flooding back so in the spirit of more useless info - :rolleyes:

I recall now the spondylolysthesis I referred to is actually a faulty pars interarticularis - meaning the rear of the vertebra (spinous process, tranverse process, the rear of the vertebral arch which surrounds the cord nerves) - is not properly ossified/united with the anterior, vertebral body and if separation occurs thru trauma then the potential ''guillotine effect''.

There - now go take a Tylenol :18:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.