Defensive Carry banner

Using a holster not made for your exact gun? (pic included)

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Sicilia Mike 
#1 ·
So I changed from a S&W 40 cal to a CZ75d 9MM. I have a really nice Galco King Tuck Holster for my Smith and I hate to give it up. So I decided to try my new gun in it (See pic). It doesn't fit "great" when the holster is just laying there, but being an IWB when I cinch it up in my pants it is rock solid and can be drawn easily, but retains good hold too.

So tell me, any reason to not do this for a month or so (time it is going to take to save up for the $140 custom made holster I want for it)? Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a M&P.40C and a Taurus 745. I use Gould and Goodrich 810 IWB holsters for both of them (yup, 2 guns, two holsters). For me, they are comfortable and functional, even though they are designed for a Glock 27. I tried several holsters for each of them, but kept coming back to the 810's. I would submit that it doesn't matter what's on the package, you're the one who will be carrying it around on your belt. If you like it and it fits your weapon well, go for it...

#3 ·
As long as it works and the gun does not fall out, or go off when you re-holster.

#4 ·
Well, just got back from a quick run to the store. Overall, no issues. However, upon returning home I did notice it slipped up about .25" or so. No danger of falling out at all, but the trigger was getting close to being out of the trigger guard. At least this gun has a half cock mechanism so it is hard to AD, but I dunno. Guess I'm gonna have to hope the Galco sells (have it in classifieds). But dang! So close.........(yet so far away).

Thanks for the tips and advice. Man, this CZ is a ridiculous shooter, but it doesn't exactly fit in just any holster. And, it isn't like you'll find a bunch of holsters laying around your local gun shop either.

#5 ·
You can try using a hair dryer and heat the kydex up around the trigger guard and form it so it doesn't allow the gun to come up any unless you draw it.

#6 ·
That would work, a heat gun on low setting is faster, I've softened up kydex enough to mold it by putting it in boiling water. My techniques is to heat up just enough to soften, and then press into shape using my hands in really thick leather work gloves. Like dukal said, just snug it up around the guard. Loose holsters are dangerous.

#8 ·
Not that unusual, there are not a lot of holsters for the FNP line (getting better) so some holsters that fit Sigs work with a little modification. +1 on if it works, it works.

#9 ·
Thanks for the heat gun tips. I have spent the last 30 minutes molding it more to my CZ with a hair dryer (takes longer indeed!) and now it fits like a glove again. I am soooo PUMPED! THANKS!

#10 ·
Glad the hair dryer trick worked. It's a good suggestion.

Otherwise, I don't like to carry one gun in a holster that is designed for another gun. Just my own paranoia but I just don't like to do it.

#11 ·
While I tend to agree, in this particular case (being IWB) it is less important. My belt is snugged up against me anyway. The only reason I use a holster at all IWB is comfort and trigger guard.

However, I did try out a Desantis OWB holster today made for a sig 229 and my gun fit it like it was made for it. Really liked it and will probably get it.

#14 ·
I had the SD40 which is what I bought the holster for. To make it fit I had to twist the gun inside the holster to stretch the leather and then had no issues. But I did have to notch the front portion so the sight would clear on draw otherwise it got hung up.

I found a Desantis holster I really like, it is OWB and more comfy. I am going to pick it up and go that route. Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

#13 ·
Here's a trick us COFs ( certified old fart's) used to custom fit a holster to a gun back when gun specific holsters were not made.
Soak the holster in a bucket of warm water. Wrap the gun in Glad cling wrap ( or equivalent) making dang sure it is unloaded. Put gun into holster.
Use a hair dryer to dry holster with gun in it. You may have to leave it there for a day or 2 to have it completely dry. This will "shrink" the leather and conform it to the gun.
Remove gun, wipe down with gun cloth (oiled cloth) just in case, and it should fit better.

Dangers of a very wrong holster are:
printing as gun moves in holster
accidental discharge when gun is put into holster and grabs trigger ( happened to a cop with a revolver, yet)
Gun does not draw easily
gun falls out
holster presses mag release button ( some guns will not fire with mag loose/out)

Suggestion:
Gun for sale thread. Maybe you can locare someone who traded the other way, and arrange a trade of the holsters. What do you have to loose?

#15 ·
I like a perfect fit in each of my holsters. Kydex, however, can be made to 'refit' if it's already close.
I've use a blow torch...not used up close, of course, but I've held the holster a foot or more above the heat to re-mold the holster or create a tighter fit. One has to be very careful with this technique, but it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.