Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annoying trend.

5K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  SIXTO 
#1 · (Edited)
When someone posts a thread asking what .22 brand to use, they aren't asking to be schooled why not to. Same when they ask about a specific brand, they aren't asking to be told to buy a Glock. It's belittling to the original poster. When I see an interesting thread title, I want to see replies by people with hands on experience, there is a huge base of knowledge here. This is the most civil forum on the net, I hate too see it slip at all. I do confess to doing it myself when first here, so pot, meet kettle.

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of place.

#5 ·
It's also a slippery slope. Often the OP will ask for opinions and when someone gives theirs they get jumped by the OP because they do not agree with the opinion given.

This is an internet forum and I understand that I will get EVERY kind of answer to a particular question that I ask. And one must develope thick skin and learn to accept constructive criticism.

But yes.... I know what you mean, and it gets old.

#6 ·
I agree.....it gets old, really old........persons opinions can be a huge asset on here
however, when one is asking what 9mm JHP is recommended for carry, we don't need posts in reply telling them to get a .45 instead of I shoot ABC brand in my .40S&W :ticking::blink:
or if I ask if anyone has experience with a sheath for XYZ knife I don't need to be told get the ABC brand knife instead......if I wanted the ABC brand knife I would have bought it already!!!

if an OP asks for info on a specific item/question....then reply with that specific info.....if you don't have experience/knowledge with that specific thing....then don't comment, its that simple....now if persons will take that to heart...............

and like AZJD1968 said......if OP asks for opinions on xxx and they then disagree/jump on people for giving that specific opinion....then shame on the OP

#7 ·
Patience is a virtue. Or so I've been told. Hang in there and it will all come out in the wash. Me? I'm on spin cycle as of now.

#27 ·
I can think of another topic that brings this kind of response, and one member in particular who is very vehement in his assertions that anyone who does this thing is an idiot, and his way is the only right way. In fact, this person has a five-page (as of this posting) thread going where every one of his posts boils down to that exact statement.

Not to name any names... :wink:

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even a practitioner of the topic, but even I am offended by most of what he says...

Anyway, back on topic...

I agree that when someone asks how to do something, the answer shouldn't be "do something else" unless what they're asking makes them a danger to others. (i.e. best way to lower a hammer on a live round)

#9 ·
I understand some feel the need to post, but just start a thread about why your gear is better than the gear in question that offends you. Mission accomplished, you get the post counter to click another time, and the question thread stays clean.

#10 ·
Knowledge is actually on it's way out of fashion. Just like American history is on it's way out of public schools. Hands on experience? Can't you find that on EBay? Personally, I'll confess to anything so long as I get credit for whatever it was.
I hate too see it slip at all.
I hate seeing this country slip into the crapper like it has been. The forum and the internet? Well............

#11 ·
The thread that prompted me was by a brand new member, joined this month. Even with a moderator asking people to stop, posters continue the bash. He has not been back to DC for 5 days, and I don't blame him.

#12 ·
It's almost a Law of Weapons Forums, which can be stated thus:

"The odds of any post about guns generating the comment 'buy a Glock' or any post about knives generating 'buy a Spyderco,' if it goes past one page, approaches 1."
And you're absolutely right. If you can't answer the OP's question or don't want to, then just chiming in about your own gear preferences isn't helpful. The grey area is where you believe the OP to be making a bad choice.

So maybe we can all just agree that everybody on Earth must carry a Glock 26 at 4:00 IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck, with one in the chamber. But let's also allow that life is a learning process, and that we all arrive at the same place by different routes. Some guy wants to carry a 5-shot .22 revolver OWB appendix style, with an empty chamber under the hammer? Fine.

#14 ·
-
Some people don't stop to think about or read through their postings before sending. It may be some sort of instant gratification thing, you know, what with the new-fangled internets & all. Then again, some people are overly sensitive to certain feedback & aren't able to filter through the BS & move on.

The lack of face-to-face in this new age of 'communication' does seem to be producing more of the types prone to this type of malarky.

#15 ·
The lack of face-to-face in this new age of 'communication' does seem to be producing more of the types prone to this type of malarky.
Youtube is the worst. It doesn't matter what the subject matter, or who the author of the video is. It could be Steven Hawking talking about physics and guaranteed somebody would call him a moron mixed with a few "colorful metaphors." I believe it is mostly 13-year-olds doing it. They don't know how to communicate with more intelligent responses and with them everything is either black or white so the response has to be one extreme or another. In other words, they love the video, or the hate it. There is no in-between.

At least we don't have this problem here since our user base is a little older and more mature.

#16 ·
I will confess to not directly answering a question at times, because I sometimes try to get the OP to see the larger picture. So, if the OP posts something like, "I already have X gun, what gun should I buy next?" my answer might be "a training class." Again, not trying to highjack anyone's thread, but sometimes it helps to have others take a step back and look at the bigger issues.

Reactions: AZJD1968
#17 ·
If OP asks for advice, OP should take advice and not argue it. They asked.

Also, if OP asks for suggestions on XYZ weapon and what to buy, the best and only answer that can be given should be "go shoot as many as you can and pick what fits you best.". That's it. Thread over.

If OP asks for opinion, OP better strap on the jock and take it like a man.

If OP asks for statistical data, OP needs to make sure they did their own due diligence first.

This place ain't perfect. I've seen way worse.

Trend? Naaaa. Tradition maybe.

#19 ·
But its summer time and I wear ankle socks and sandles only this time of year. The Glock is too big to fit in my socks. I really don't care about caliber, I just need something that I can conceal in my sandle. My right foot is a little bigger than my left. so if anyone else dresses like me and and has experience in concealing a handgun in their right sock or sandle, opinions would be appreciated. :blink:

LOL
I hate posts like these...... IMO The OPer has to have a brain to start with, or get ready for it.

#20 ·
Just read in between the bad posts and you will find what you are looking for. Some people just are pleased with their setup and sometimes they try to push it on to others.

#21 ·
well thats fine and dandy, but when an OP asks a specific question about something, we shouldn't do anything but give answers to that specific question
when OP asks for opinions or everyone's recommendations....then everyone have at it
I see the two situations as distinctly different and try to treat them as such

Its kind of like the Bing search engine commercials at times...someone asks something specific and gets returns on every tangent known to man relating to the original word/question

#22 ·
Why did you start a thread if you don't want a Glock 19????????:hand5:

Many times I get stuck into a thread that's "I want to accomplish goal Z should I get A or B?" Well if the logical answer is C, then I'm going to say so, but what I will do when I say so is quantify my answer. I won't profess to know everything (or often times anything depend upon who you ask) but I've got a blank slate in the post box and if I'm going to break the mold I'll be courteous enough to say why I'm breaking the mold, then it's up to the OP to decide if they want to consider option C or not; I tend to assume OP has a brain and can reason. It's not always about giving the easy answer and it can be a disservice to the OP to limit our answers sometimes.

I've been on the flip side of the conversation as well, and in a recent thread that's still going seeking holster advice, I listed off a few makes and models to give a general idea, and started asking for any brand that fits the desired goal, so long as people where willing to step in and backup their answers so I could understand the reasons and not just "buy xyz" and not confining my responses has opened my eyes to a few companies and models I hadn't yet seen reviews on. So as long as folks are willing to put the extra communication in then it's really an all around win win for the members and the community.

Now go buy yourself a 1911 because JMB is older and therefore wiser than GG.:hand5:

#25 ·
I have no problem with people giving their opinions on matters as long as they ALSO at least attempt to answer the original question. For instance, if someone asks for a gun that is chambered in 9mm I will certainly list all that I know, but I might also add, if you want to look at this as well, feel free and list some others.. I don't do it very often but if I think it applies I will.

If someone asks for good self defense .22 ammo I will tell them but I will also give my logical reasons as to why I think it's not the best option. I've attempted to answer the question but also provided a "bigger picture."

Now, as stated, if someone just asks for opinions such as, "What do you think of warning shots or carrying unchambered or the color of my bedroom wall?" Well, I'm going to give them my opinion... they asked for it. If they wanted to hear only opinions that supported their way of thinking they should have gone somewhere else.

Also, if someone posts a big long rant about a particular topic they should not be surprised when they get differing ideas or opinions.

#33 ·
ideas and stirring the pot are great, and the only time I have a problem with that is when the OP asks specifically for xyz, and they say I don't need to know about abc or 123, give them what they are looking for, and if you don't have experience with it don't add your idea sux get a Glock instead or you'll get STDs, your dog's hair will fall out, your car won't start, and the fridge will stop working, I think its a big turnoff to new members and people that are actually getting educated on that specific topic
but like I said earlier.....if they ask for recommendations or opinions on their setup, idea, probable purchase, etc, then stir the pot

Reactions: WHEC724
#34 ·
only if its alternated (in the only magazine you have with you) with FMJ and you're not using a holster

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.