Defensive Carry banner

How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

11K views 111 replies 67 participants last post by  smolck 
#1 ·
I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been around guns all my life and am a very avid hunter. It seems really weird for me to load a firearm inside of my house much less carry one into buildings. I know it won't just go off and all that but it just seems so wrong since it goes against 13 years of gun safety that's ingrained into me. Today I put one in the pipe and holstered it around my house just for like 10 minutes then took it out and unloaded it and carried it around empty to get used to how it feels and everything...Any tips about getting over this? It won't bother me out and about outside but having a loaded firearm inside just feel really weird for me.

#3 · (Edited)
+1 to the above.

If you are carrying a modern semi-auto handgun, you need to realize that it is DESIGNED to be carried with a round in the chamber. The only way it will go off is if the trigger is actuated. If you carry the gun in a quality holster, one that covers the trigger guard and holds the gun securely, the only thing you need to do is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun.

#12 ·
+1 to the above.

If you are carrying a modern semi-auto handgun, you need to realize that it is DESIGNED to be carried with a round int he chamber. The only way it will go off is if the trigger is actuated. If you carry the gun in a quality holster, one that covers the trigger guard and holds the gun securely, the only thing you need to do is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun.
^^^ This!!!! ^^^

#5 ·
Actually for the most part you are following the gun safety rules, you are not pointing the gun intentionally at someone or something, you are not loading until ready to use"carrying equals use" you are keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot and you are are not handling firearms while being intoxicated. The rules are very fluid and sometimes must be broken in order to carry safely, carrying and shooting are different things

#56 ·
Actually for the most part you are following the gun safety rules, you are not pointing the gun intentionally at someone or something, you are not loading until ready to use"carrying equals use" you are keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot and you are are not handling firearms while being intoxicated. The rules are very fluid and sometimes must be broken in order to carry safely, carrying and shooting are different things
For the sake of discussion, what the heck are you talking about? How are the rules fluid? How do you consider carrying safely and breaking the rules to go together in any way?

#6 ·
Practice, practice, and more practice will build your confidence that the gun won't go off unless it is physically manipulated to make that happen. Intellectually, consider that hundreds of thousands of sworn law enforcement officers carry loaded weapons everywhere, indoors and out, every day.

I never had any gun safety training that mandated never having a loaded gun inside a building... but the Four Rules were always emphasized.

#7 ·
Time helps, carrying without one in the chamber around the house will get you more used to feeling not just knowing it's not going to go off on it's own, load a magazine of snap caps and carry it around the house all weekend, see if that puts you more at ease. Eventually you'll be able to do it and not worry or think about it. And this is also where quality holsters are key, I can trust a good quality strong durable holster to keep that trigger guard safe, there's many on the market I refuse to touch because they don't protect the trigger from inadvertent action.

Based on your signature, I see you're a M&P guy, the thumb safety if you don't have it already might put that extra piece of mind there, but I'm a Glock guy and I've learned to get used to it, follow the 4 rules all the time and it won't go off.

#8 ·
Like the others said, proper technique and good practice (and more practice) is the cure - as-is taking classes that will help you get over your reservations.

Here, locally, one school actually require that you attend their 2-hour classroom (with 1 of those hours being dry-fire practice, under strict supervision) "Holster Techniques" course as a pre-requisite to their live-fire handgun courses. It's not to make money: they've got somewhere around a half-dozen instructors, and charges only $20 for the class - really, it's just to make sure that everyone has good, safe technique drawing and holstering.

That kind of a class, combined with an 8-hour day of repeatedly taking your ready-to-rock firearm out of the holster, shooting, and then returning it to your holster will work well to take the fear and doubt out of your mind.

:smile:

#9 ·
Carry around the house with it loaded/one in the chamber in a good holster and get used to it.

If you put the gun into a good holster and don't touch it, it can't go off. If you pull the gun out of the holster and don't pull the trigger, it can't go off. If you are uncomfortable with it at first, time should cure it.

If you are totally uncomfortable with it, well a gun without one in the chamber is still better than one you leave at home. Although some will disagree with that.

#11 ·
I have a whole heard of Glocks I pick one or two and carry everyday, no safetys. As said above keep your berger picker off the trigger and its all good. Oh, good holster is a must as well.

I have to admit though, it does take getting used too.

Tip do what you've been doing just with out the safety in your routine. You are the safety.

#13 ·
A Glock, while it may not have a grip or thumb safety, has three safetys. Not saying it to correct you but one of them saved my life one day. Trigger Safety, Firing Pin Safety, Drop Safety. Side note, never try to catch a falling gun, the drop safety will work.

#15 ·
I was the same way. Then I read a few stories about how one in the pipe would have made a difference. I have ben carrying with one in the chamber ever since and do not even think about it even more. Racking the slide is just one more delay in the process of defending yourself. Would you drive your car with the seatbelt around you but not locked in place? When/If you need your sidearm you need it ASAP. Think about this, what if you only have one hand to defend yourself? How will you chamber a round? I carry with one in the chamber with the safety on and practice drawing and releasing the safety in one motion (unloaded of course) When/if you ever need it you will be glad you did. Be confident in your carry style or don't carry at all...my $.02.

#16 ·
Model 18 IWB Holster | Safariland™

That's my current holster, covers the trigger guard and everything and "clicks" into place but there's no retention system like the hood, snap or ALS. Just for piece of mind I put it on and have ran, jumped, everything trying to see if the gun would dislodge and it doesn't so that's comforting. It's just so ingrained in me (probably from my parents since I've always been a hunter and my parents aren't) that you never load a gun inside...but I'll keep carrying it for longer and longer in my house with one in the pipe and hopefully that'll cure my concern. I even practice with my M&P airsoft gun in the holster to draw safely and acquire the target and everything, I may be a little over cautious but I have a healthy respect for firearms and know what they're capable of so better that then ending up putting a round in my rear.

#17 ·
You say you are familiar with guns, so I hope you have hunted in beautiful Wisconsin. If you have ever hunted with a loaded shotgun, you have carried the equivalent of a cocked and locked 1911. It just doesn't look as scary. There you are afield, carrying a chambered and hammer cocked gun on safe. Except you don't have a holster to protect the safety and trigger, and help you keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

You really should be worrying about the giant neon sign over your head with an arrow pointing at you the says "GUN" the first few weeks you carry in public.

#18 ·
You say you are familiar with guns, so I hope you have hunted in beautiful Wisconsin.

You really should be worrying about the giant neon sign over your head with an arrow pointing at you the says "GUN" the first few weeks you carry in public.
From September 1- about January 15th I hunt about every weekend. It's a confusing feeling because I have a loaded gun on me quit often (when I'm hunting) but for some reason having it inside just seems very different. I don't know, I'll get over it and get used to it I'm sure, I won't be able to legally carry until Mid December anyhow since it'll take awhile to get my actual permit so I have some time to get over that apprehension.

#19 ·
I would say...seek additional training. Buckeye .45 and TN_Mike are spot on. Time and practice will help you get over your fear. Having a good, quality holster made specifically for your gun (i.e. NOT Uncle Mikes) that keeps your gun secure and the trigger covered should alleviate your concerns.

Your gun isn't going to go off by itself.

#20 ·
If you are concerned, perhaps this will help:

Carry all day in your home, with the chamber empty but the gun otherwise ready to shoot (Condition 1 on a 911, striker back on a Glock, etc). Put it on in the morning and leave it alone all day.

Note at the end of the day that the hammer / striker has not fallen.

Repeat as needed.

Matt

Reactions: Gforty
#21 ·
with almost any gun, revo or pistol the key to being safe is to never, ever touch the trigger until you are going to fire the weapon.
learn and live by that and you should never have a safety issue

#22 ·
I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been around guns all my life and am a very avid hunter. It seems really weird for me to load a firearm inside of my house much less carry one into buildings. I know it won't just go off and all that but it just seems so wrong since it goes against 13 years of gun safety that's ingrained into me. Today I put on in the pipe and holstered it around my house just for like 10 minutes then took it out and unloaded it and carried it around empty to get used to how it feels and everything...Any tips about getting over this? It won't bother me out and about outside but having a loaded firearm inside just feel really weird for me.
Hey there. I know exactly what you are saying. I have been carrying now for not quite two weeks and still am apprehensive to carry one in the chamber.
So far here's what I've been doing to work up the courage - I know the gun won't go off without pulling the trigger...I'm well aware of that. Instead, I've been carrying with a clip in and unchambered. I have a striking pin on my Springfield, so I know my gun is cocked. I come home everyday and it's still cocked. Also, I have been practing drawing with the previous mentioned technique and my gun still is cocked, therefore telling me if my gun were to be loaded, no negligent discharges have happened yet. Just keep practicing with whatever makes you feel comfortable.
I know some people say, "it's pointless to have a gun with out it being chambered," "You're just carrying around a 3 pound weight for protection," so forth and so on. The way I see it, is I would rather be comfortable with carrying one in the chamber instead of worrying about it. Take whatever time and method it takes for you to be at ease. If at the end, you still don't feel comfortable, don't do it. All you can do is practice and educate; whatever the result may be, so be it. :)

#24 ·
-
Practice, practice, practice safe handling with an empty chamber. Handle your firearm repeatedly throughout the day - holstering, unholstering, mag drops & reloads. That's how I got over my 'issue' of carrying one in the pipe. I decided after a year of that (without an accidental trigger pull) that when my permit arrived, I would keep em' chambered.

Now, the only time there isn't one in the pipe is after I've emptied the mag during range time or when I'm cleaning my pistols.

#25 ·
to all you newbies, I understand your fears about carrying with one chambered, but people have been doing it for 100 years, carrying a revo is no different, the revo is "chambered" , the only way to get over the fears is to do it.
Might I also suggest that you new carriers find a good self defense trainer and take a class or 2, learn the basics of carrying, drawing and firing. carrying a gun is useless and could be dangerous to yourself if you don't know how to operate your new tool.
did you start driving without a lesson or 2? same concept

#27 ·
apprehension is a good thing

Apprehension is a good thing because it keeps us from becoming careless. There are worse things than carrying a gun without one in the chamber. For instance, wouldn't it be worse to be so over confident of the drop safety on your glock that you routinely toss it across the room when you unholster it? I know the drop safety is designed for just such a thing, but anythig made by man can fail. I think being a little more cautious when dealing with something capable of taking a life is great.

As others said, try carrying your gun loaded with a snap cap.. Check it everyday when you unholster and eventually you will start to feel more comfortable. Never lose the little voice in your head that keeps telling you that you have a deadly weapon on you and that it demands respect.

#37 ·
Apprehension is a good thing because it keeps us from becoming careless. There are worse things than carrying a gun without one in the chamber. For instance, wouldn't it be worse to be so over confident of the drop safety on your glock that you routinely toss it across the room when you unholster it? I know the drop safety is designed for just such a thing, but anythig made by man can fail. I think being a little more cautious when dealing with something capable of taking a life is great...
You mean throwing my G17 at the cat across the room isn't a good idea? :mischievous:

(The vision of a Barney Fife draw was worth a laugh!)

#28 ·
TedBeau -

Well said thought about apprehension. I know accidents happen, but, I believe that is the difference between the majority of stories such as, "Gun falls from waistband and discharges," compared to the 95% of the well trained responsible people in the country. Respect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.