Defensive Carry banner

Versa Carry.

17K views 57 replies 40 participants last post by  sgb 
#1 · (Edited)
Check this out. Never seen anything like it, looks awesome. One negative I see is not being able to cant the holster like you could with say a remora.

Average Joe's Handgun Reviews

#49 ·
Hey, hey, hey. Don't dis my Oxy Clean. It does a great job. I have to agree with the Ronco Slicer and Dicer though. :rofl:

#8 ·
Some of us are not "fine" with gun clips. Strange things happen some times - no way I'm carrying a loaded gun around my kids in something that doesn't cover the trigger.

Reactions: kerberos
#11 ·
That item looks like a Negligent Discharge waiting to happen. It will not be a product I would ever buy... WAY too dangerous.

#13 ·
Cool. That particular method of carry is somewhat old, though - originally, it was just a metal hook that, if you needed to toss it away, just looked like a piece of scrap metal. It allowed reasonably secure carry and ease of disposal if the authorities showed up. Of course, you'd be tossing the gun, as well.

#17 ·
I have one on order, and will post a review when I've tried it out.

#18 ·
Without trigger cover this is the kind of idea that we'll read about in the paper. First in the ND type of stories, then in the class action lawsuit type of stories. It will be interesting if the disclaimer about condition one carry will trump their marketing in media that overwhelmingly advocates the same.

If the outside part of the bracket were to be extended up to cover the trigger guard area I'd feel a lot better about carrying it. Still, I'm not a big fan of gun metal or even hard plastic rubbing against my skin.

#20 · (Edited)
There's lots of other things that can accidentally engage a trigger.

Personally, I have two young kids, and being kids, they like to climb all over daddy. No way I'm using any "holster" that does not cover the trigger.

Sure, the trigger is covered on the outside by your pants material, and/or your belt - but that is assuming that the whole thing stays put like it is supposed to. Just not a risk I'm willing to take.

And as has been pointed out, seems like it would be uncomfortable too - no padding between the inside of the gun and your skin.

Hey, some folks Mexican carry Kahr handguns...like the guy who blew off one of his "boys." Whatever works for you...

#21 ·
Hmmm, seems like the OP was sharing something that could work and opined for comments. But cheezy-peezy, he wasn't asking us to singe his eyebrows. The comments are valid but a few of us could throttle back on the "you gotta be a @#$@#$@ to even think about this holster. Just my take.

#26 ·
Hard to judge "tone" via the written word...but all the comments I see are directed toward the equipment, not the OP.

The issue is that there are people new to concealed carry always reading these forums, and when something like this gets posted, they might think it's a good idea, simply because they don't know the other side of the story. So, when a bunch of members post that maybe it's not such a great idea, at least folks will do some more thinking before trying one.

:bier:

#23 ·
I seem to recall a very similar home made rig from a member(I think it was this forum) made from a coat hanger and a piece of rubber tubing. He incorporated a trigger cover made from a card holder and tethered it to the "holster". There is a Kydex trigger cover out there that is marketed for pocket carry or to "safe" your night stand gun that would make this rig safe if it is indeed sturdy enough.

#25 ·
I suppose you could carry a colt peacemaker or similar with the hammer down in relative safety. Short of that, no thanks. Not to mention nothing is between you and your gun, talk about uncomfortable.

#28 ·
It's really no different than kydex against your skin. Actually for me it would be more comfortable. You just have to make sure you wipe the gun down every night.

I get tired of people casting aspersions on "mexican carry". I've carried a J-Frame, IWB sans holster, along with thousands of other LEO's, for years. When I worked undercover I carried 1911's and da/sa semi autos that way. Good holsters weren't always so plentiful. Now there is such a multitude of available holster designs, most folks have moved away from it. But there's nothing wrong with tucking your j-frame, etc... IWB, for a quick run to the corner store. If your not comfortable, don't do it, but don't condemn it either.

#27 ·
I don't see a problem with it. There are a lot of people on this forum who won't feel comfortable unless they're carrying in a full flap holster. Yes, the trigger isn't covered until you place the holster IWB. Once placed IWB it's held by you're belt and your body. For some that's enough, if it's not enough for you so be it, it doesn't mean it's a bad design. The safety warning is just boilerplate to satisfy attorneys.

#30 ·
Sorry, I'm just not getting the point. HOW is this better than a good, old fashioned IWB leather or Kydex holster that can be put on and taken off just as easily?

Mexican carry and carrying without a round in the chamber are two very bad ideas that can get you seriously injured or killed.

#31 ·
...HOW is this better than a good, old fashioned IWB leather or Kydex holster that can be put on and taken off just as easily?
It isn't...

Mexican carry is a good way to hurt yourself & others. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of urological visits after blowing off a testicle due to not having your trigger covered and it snagging on your waistband while trying to seat your firearm into your waistband...

#36 ·
I got my 9mm medium model in this morning and have been wearing it today.
Nicely made, fits my gun and belt well. Very easy on and off.
I always wear an under shirt and it is quite confortable, there is enough room in the clip on a 1 1/2 belt for the gun to have a slight cant and it conceals and fits fine at 3 to 3:30.
I am using it with a Glock 19 with a NY1 trigger spring.

I am sure most Glock users will hate that it does not cover the trigger, and would never use it for that reason. To each his own, with my gun and set up, I feel it is safe with the 8 pound trigger pull. I have often carried revolvers using hip grips and clip draws, and see don’t find it an issue.
Definitely not for everyone, and I will still use my standard IWB, but it is a nice option to have. I can’t carry in the office, so have to un holster and re holster several times a day, with the proper caution, it works great for that.

#38 ·
Uncovered trigger problem aside, the gun has no protection from a sweaty body and with a gun pressed up against our skin, we are going to sweat. This means that at the end of the day, that gun is, at the very least, going to need to be field stripped, wiped down and have a coating of oil applied. Looks like too much work for me. I'm happy at the end of the day just to remove my gun from the holster, wipe it down with a silicon impregnated cloth and put in on its night stand holder. I don't want to spend time field stripping a gun I haven't shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.