Defensive Carry banner

Kahr cw45

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ripley16 
#1 ·
I was hopping to get some feed back on the Kahr cw 45. I have no real exposure to the brand as I have owned only S&W, Ruger, & Beretta hand guns in my life. Where does the Kahr fall in quality compared to these and what ammo would you suggest? I bought one used and have gotten some verygood feed back from a owner and would appreciate any other input you could pass along. Thanks in advance.
Best, Frank.

#3 ·
Agree with C Hawk...wish I'd gotten a Kahr sooner. In the last year I've picked up a slightly used CW9, new CM9 and a new CW45. Don't have a huge round count through them yet, but have not had any problems at all. Triggers do take a bit of practice, but not a big issue. Accuracy and quality is first rate for what I paid for them. They are so thin and feel so good in the hand, they just beg to be carried.

I have shot 230gr FMJ Winchester White box and 230 gr Winchester JHP from Wally world through my CW45 and they seem to work ok. Got my extra mags from Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc. for $30/each if you need them.

#5 ·
Both my Kahrs are keepers. I have the PM40 and the CW9. I modified the grip on my CW9 to make it a covert model, and it's pretty cool. Both get carried from time to time and I would definitely recommend the Kahr pistol to anyone wanting a excellent concealed carry pistol. I don't have the .45 version, but I have read in the past that, at the first sign of feeding issues replace the recoil spring and it should straighten up and run right again. IMO, you got a good option to launch the .45 from; the degree would depend on just how much you paid for it.:wink:

#6 ·
My .45acp Kahr experience is with the P45 and TP45. I have to say I did not enjoy shooting either gun with any +P ammo. The pistol is so light that I had trouble with accuracy on quick follow-up shots. A grip sleeve helped alot, both to get a better grip and in softening the texture.

Both guns were pretty accurate. I bought the TP45 with the intent of cutting the grip down to a "P" size, (called a "covert" by the Kahr crowd), but I never felt fully comfortable with the pistol as a CCW. Both pistols had an occational ejection problem, the worst being the spent case being caught under the mag feed lips, stovepiped tight as a drum. Each gun saw about 800 rounds through them, of various brands. The only round that ever caused a ammo related problem was MagTech's solid copper HP.

I put night sights on the P and like them much better than the standard Kahr sight.

#8 ·
A CW45 is my carry gun when I'm working. Easy to carry and conceal. I carry mine loaded with Federal 230 gr HST +P rounds. As mentioned by someone else, the +P rounds are not fun shooting, in a defensive situation that isn't really going to be an issue. Practice is done using standard pressure rounds, with a mag of the +P ran for function check.

My 1 complaint is that the magazine release is not stainless steel. I sweat a lot during the summer and the slide release button rusts because of it. Forced to remove it about once a week and clean and oil it.

Not sure if it is just my gun, or if all Kahr's are the same. Mine does not like the Tulammo. I believe it is the steel case on them that causes the FTE problems, so I don't use it in that gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.