Defensive Carry banner

Has anyone modified their car?

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  3sh 
#1 ·
I know some people have a car safe. But that's not what I mean.

I read an article in "Combat Tactics" Magazine. It was about "tactical driving". Like most articles in Mags like that, it's geared towards the professional body guard or police officer. Or at least that's what they say, probably to avoid the liability of possible having a regular person pulling 180's on the interstate.

However, for one of the "manuevers", the first step was to flip the switch to shut off your rear lights so you don't alert the "chasing car" of your braking. Then it said "what? You don't have a switch like that? Fix it." I have heard of street racers doing this so only their headlights worked, but i never thought about it for "get-away" driving.

It made me wonder if anybody else has modified their daily driver for defense. Maybe bullet-proof glass, smoke screen, turret, grenade launcher, armor, night vision? Anything?

#2 ·
I have investigated making a 'smoke screen system' on my truck.
more for kicks than concern for chase threats.

the system on the US tanks sprays diesel fuel on the exhaust system or hot part of the engine to generate its smoke.
not a hard jump to make installing a 1 gallon jug of diesel fuel,a fuel pump and a spray nozzle to spray it on the down pipe of the exhaust system to generate a bunch of smoke.
just another 'toy' for my truck.:image035:

#4 ·
I don't know if it would hold up to fuel but a better choice might be a windshield washer pump. It already has a resevoir, pump, nozzles, and controls. A junkyard would have one cheap. Especially in a hatchback car with a wiper on the rear. Just make sure you find one that has seperate resivours (sp?) . The early 90's Eclipse/Talon/Laser does. I knew guys that used theirs to spray the intercooler with cold water on the turbo cars.

#5 ·
No, but I used to have an old Jeep Cherokee Pioneer ('85 I think) where the rear windshield washer hose was broken. If someone was following too closely I could "pee" on the hood of their car. :)

#7 ·
I love the idea of spewing a thick black cloud of smoke onto tailgaiters! Then follow that up with used motor oil sprayed from the rear window washer!

#8 ·
if you wanted it a step further... buy the electric privacy glass that when a current is applied, it will become translucent. Create a small frame to hold the license plate behind it... then your license plate could vanish as well. (many people have access to license plate # databases...).

Car -> License Plate -> Electric Privacy Glass

Hit the button and whoosh... no more license #... combine the two and your license & lights disappear.

#9 ·
WOW, a thread started with me in mind... Ok maybe not, but it is right up my alley.

Well, I have done some mods to various vehicles, but usually it was just for giggles.
I have done the flamethrower exhaust thing, and a few others. I have aimed the rear window washer so that it will spray the car behind me, but I never put anything worse than water or windshield washer fluid, in one.

Seriously though, I routinely disable the air bags, and bypass the inertia switch (cuts off the fuel pump in an accident.) on my private vehicle. More recently I have experimented with reinforcing the bumper on one of my project cars, along with adding a push bar. (practical since I often tinker with junk cars) One of my favorite, ongoing projects, is trying to find an affordable set of horns that will cause an instantaneous and uncontrollable loss of bowel and bladder control in the driver of the vehicle in front of me. In other words, I don’t honk often, but when I do, I want them to hear it.

#10 ·
Why mess with a good thing? Isn't this good enough as is? :image035:

Mileage is rather poor but will change direction of travel within its own length. Usually no problem at 4-way stops either.:hand10:

#11 ·
Rock and Glock said:
I love the idea of spewing a thick black cloud of smoke onto tailgaiters! Then follow that up with used motor oil sprayed from the rear window washer!
- post #7

One of our diesel work vans does that, and if I ever have to drive it and someone is riding my ass I push the pedal as far as it can go without shifting into passing gear... and it smokes the hell out of whoever is behind me, its frickin great. Especially if their windows are down! TAKE THAT ! HA! :rofl:

#13 ·
I have found that the best practical way to avoid someone like that one the roads is a two-step process. A) Call 911 and tell them you are being followed by an angry driver and don't want to pull over. Then B) Drive fast.

I've been to a couple driving/racing schools before. Learn to operate your car at high speed and know its limits. Everyone should know this already but racing is the best way to test yourself in a bad situation. With some of the drivers around here, I know for a fact that emergency maneuvering and knowing how to anticipate what my car will do, has saved my bacon a couple times.

As far as modding your car.... I would suggest using a device to spray oil onto your exuast. Gasoline is a little too volitile and may actually ignite. EGTs (Exhuast Gas Temps) can sometimes get into the 400 degree territory. Oil will get make a nice thick white smoke and when it burns it STINKS!!!!

One other nice thing to try if someone is following you... rather than shooting at them.... toss a couple of D batteries out the car window at them. They'll back off.

Of course, I do not suggest actually attempting any of this. They are all illeagal and automatically a bad idea. Thus, this disclaimer should absolve me of all responsibility. haha

#14 ·
I keep thinking about a grill guard, but keep putting it off. I thougth about run flats but don't live in a big city

I've tried telling people the dents that my pick-up has:theyareontome: are anti-theft devises but most people roll their eyes and walk away

#16 ·
Here's a alternative to the train horns
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839
139 dB at 4 feet, 115dB at 6 feet.

I picked one up for my showcar....NICCCCCE and loud. You could put one on each corner of your vehicle...should do the trick :)

#19 ·
I suppose it's so people don't suspect it's a cruiser. Most departments keep up on vehicle maintenance.
When I was in highschool I had a chrysler with a trap under the bumper that opened when I pulled a lever by the seat. I could fill it with nails, tacks, oil balloons, whatever......usually just water balloons though. My bud had a mustang that had the back up lights on a toggle switch. One night some dudes were chasing us when he hit that switch. They locked 'em up in a hurry and we kept on flying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.