Defensive Carry banner

Kel-tec PF9

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Hot Wing 
#1 ·
I picked up a PF-9 over the weekend, and I thought I would share my thoughts. I got to go out and shoot it on Monday. First, I have to say this thing is TINY! If you have only seen pictures, they do not do justice to just how miniscule this thing is. To give you an idea, wearing 511 tac-lite pants, I can fit the PF-9 in it’s included hard case in my back pocket. It’s the cutest little gun case I have ever seen. Before I took it to the range, I went ahead and sanded all the casting flashing off the grip. Figured I would save myself some pain. I also cleaned and lubed the PF-9 before shooting. Ok, now to the shooting. This little gun runs like a top. I fired 200 rounds of WWB, 50 rounds of Federal champion, and 25 rounds of Hornady 124 grain +p TAP. About 100 rounds in I started experiencing failures to extract. Checking the little screw holding the extractor in, I found it had backed out a full turn. A dab of blue loc-tight and I had no further malfunctions. I cannot speak to accuracy, as I went to the range fresh off a 16 hour shift and was not at my best. I will say this little bugger is going to take some getting used to. I found that the sharp tip of the trigger wanted to pinch my trigger finger. I used a band aid to finish shooting, but I think I need to do something about the shape of the trigger. Recoil was snappy but controllable. The narrowness of the grip did lead to some discomfort and the rough texture of the grip caused some pain. I have since added a Houge hand all Jr which makes such a difference I think Kel-tec should just put one in the box and charge $10 bucks more. Over all I love this gun. It is small, light, cheap and reliable. Highly recommended.

See less See more
#10 ·
If you are recoil sensitive, the PF-9 is not a gun you will enjoy. 12oz, and kicks like a small mule.....but it will ride in a good sized pants pocket all day without discomfort. Accuracy is pretty amazing considering the size of the little pistol. I have two PF-9's (I liked the first one so much), and have never had a failure of any kind. Some will tell you to do the Keltec "Fluff and buff" to make them reliable, but mine were good out of the box. Not the prettiest or most refined pistol on the market, but they work if you do your part and practice and learn their little quirks. (no limp wristing allowed).

at 7 yards slow fire.....plenty good for social work.

#11 ·
-
Go for the Hogue Handall Jr - it helps, especially when your hands get sweaty. I also bought extra magazine extensions for all of my extra magazines.

I've found mine to be very dependable & easily controlled. I also recommend a Crossbreed QwikClip holster for great comfort & concealability (mine @ 4:30) both tucked & untucked.

Enjoy!

#12 ·
I'm jealous of a working PF9. I wanted mine to work well but it was the most failure prone firearm I had ever encountered.

I could never have faith in it so I sold it off.

#13 ·
I've put about 400 rounds through a hard chrome version. Not a single issue.
I didn't shoot it well at first, but I've got it down now.
The Hogue Handall Jr are a big help as others above have noted.
Handy. Great value. No regrets...none at all.

#14 ·
I really want to like my PF9. Its a Florida made Conceal Carry gun, but I've yet to make it through a magazine without a issue.
I was plagued by "Light Strikes" and tried a few fixes from KTOG.org. No luck.
I sent the gun back to Kel Tec (Fantastic Support) and they replaced the entire upper part of the gun.
Then the Extractor broke. I have a new extractor and I'm really hoping it works now. I just have to get to the range.

The down side is I've already replaced the PF9 with a another manufacturer's single stack that has functioned flawlessly. Once I verify the PF9 is working, its destined to be sold or worse case a safe queen.

#15 ·
I always classify Kel-Tec with Taurus and Bersa in my mind. It would seem that either you get a "good" one, or its a disaster. So far mine has been good, I don't hesitate to carry it on occasion, however I'm more likely to pick my MK9 for a gun in that size range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.