Defensive Carry banner

Using a range bag as an airport carry on?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  orangevol 
#1 ·
I recently bought my first gun, a Glock 19. So far, I've just been using the plastic case it came in, but I'm looking at getting a better bag for the range. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 5.11 Moab 6. I don't need anything big, since I only have one pistol, and not much else.

I'm going on a vacation with my family for Christmas, and I'm thinking that the Moab 6 also looks like a decent travel bag. Does anyone see any problems with using that back as a carry-on, after I've kept a gun and gun supplies in it? I'm wondering if any residue will rub off, and set off any of the sniffer machines, or swabs, or maybe even dogs at the airport.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Yes. You'll lose some spent brass in there or a live piece of ammo. TSA screeners will find it and
have a stroke and a cow, and a few smiles on their face. You will have much inconvenience. Maybe some expenses you didn't anticipate. Maybe an extra night where you didn't expect to spend your time.

#5 ·
Just opens up too many bad scenarios, avoid the hassle, get another bag.

#7 ·
Probably the safest not to do . I have however used a range bag several times without hassles. No sniffer alarms. However you better search the bag THOROUGHLY to remove any ammo OR even spent brass.

#9 ·
Don't do it.
If you ever use it at the range, no matter how careful you are, it will have explosive residue on it.
I was once pulled from the gate area (in a nice way) because my suitcase failed the sniff test. I had been to an event with pyro. (I guess the smoke wafted over my tools.)
Next, it will be too easy to accidentally drop one cartridge inside. That will be bad.
Lastly, even though you have nothing inside, the TSA will assume you do and waste your time trying to find something.

Years ago my company found some Army surplus shipping tubes which were perfect for tripods.
Unfortunately they were marked "rockets". The airline wouldn't touch them. "But there are no rockets inside."
"It says rockets!!!!"
Finally I asked, "Would you feel better if it said "tripods" but contained rockets?"
Not worth the hassle.
These are people who are trained to have no common sense, and they don't deviate from that ideal.

#10 ·
Absolutely 100% chance that residue will remain in the bag.
I wouldn't do it...unless the term "cavity search" appeals to you. :gah:

#11 ·
:deadhorse:

That being said, DON'T DO IT!! Other than the delays and hassle, it might get lost. You don't want to lose your 'good range bag' do you?

But, on the bright side, if you DO use it, you might get a 'free' prostate exam...

:blink:

#12 ·
I got pulled aside last year and swabed while traveling with my golf bag. It seems after I was handling my bag they detected traces of ammonia nitrate on my hands, obviously from the golf course. This prompted a much thorough search!!!

I was told by the TSA agent their machines detect bomb making materials, ie. ferterlizer, not gunpowder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.