Defensive Carry banner

DB380 bought from Academy: disasterous first outing

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Richard58 
#1 ·
Like many of you, I instantly lusted after the Diamondback 380 due to its' Glock-iness and ease of concealment. I purchased the Academy Sports version (no 3-dot sights, just a very tiny rear notch and front muzzle bump).

Sure, I read about initial reliability issues, but since this was purchased about 4 months ago, I was certain all the bugs had been worked out, so I loaded her up with hollowpoints and grabbed a pocket holster from Galco and actually carried it on several occasions. Thanksgiving day I finally had an opportunity to shoot her....

Racked the slide, took aim at a B-27 target from about 20 feet and a hole appeared in the center of the head. Just where I was aiming! HAH! Who said the DB couldn't feed hollow points?!!!

THen I looked at the ejection port and the spent casing was stovepiped in the ejection port, also blocking the next round from chambering. So I removed the mag,racked the slide to eject the spent casing and the live round that was stuck, re-inserted the magazine, racked the slide....and BANG....another hole right in the center of the head! And another stovepiped casing. Repeat drill, re-insert magazine, BANG! A 3rd hole in the head of the target. And a third spent casing stovepiped in the ejection port. This continued 4 more times, and I decided to switch the rounds to ball ammo.

First round did the same stovepiping. Then it went Bang 3 times in a row, perfectly! Then it stovepiped again. THen it went BANG another 3 times with a reloaded magazine of ball, then it stovepiped. THis continued for about 20 more rounds until I was fed up.

I have contacted Diamondback Firearms to see what they suggest could be the issue. If it was the feedramp, it would seem that racking the slide to chamber a round would be problematic. It racks and chambers just fine, even with hollow points. The issue is either the magazine angle, or a combination of the feedramp and Magazine feed angle, I would think.

RIght now, I don't trust the DB380 for anything more than a paperweight. Even tho it looks like a Glock, trust me.... it's not a Glock. My G26 has NEVER failed to feed or eject, regardless of what ammo I feed it. FOr those considering a DB380, I suggest a waiting period. Or know a great gunsmith that can tune it properly. I really want to like this little firearm....it is simple and clean, well-designed, easy to carry...but out of the box it is not a firearm to be carried or to stake your life on. Not sure if I ever will, unless I can get it to run at least 200 consecutive rounds with no issues. And of course I would clean it after every 50 just to keep things fair.

Next posting will include advice/opinion from Diamondback's Service Center.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thy Sccy that I had a few years ago gave me the same problems. I liked how it looked and how small it was but it was a freakin' paper weight and nothing more. Good luck with your Diamondback.

#3 ·
The original magazine that came with my early model DB380 had the spring in what appeared to be upside down so I reversed the spring and the mag follower set in more of an upright angle.

There was no problem with the finger extension mag I also got later.

I also polished the feed ramp with emory cloth and rubbing compound.

I use Speer Lawman FMJ and Gold Dot HP. It does not like mild loads like Sellor and Belot.

I am going to try the Buffalo Bore rounds next.

Because of the short distance the slide travels and the heavy double recoil spring there is no room for limp wristing at all..... none !

Since these steps have been taken by me the gun has become much more reliable.

Gun Pink Finger Hand Trigger

OS

P.S. Keep it clean and run it wet.

#4 ·
I had an early DB380 that was returned to the factory 3 times. I got past the feed problems and then the trigger reset problems began. They sent me a new gun on the third trip and I immediately traded it for an LCP. On the other hand I just won a Sccy CPX-2 on gunbroker for $160. I have had it out twice and gone through 220 rounds of assorted jhp and fmj. I had one failure to feed on the last round of the first magazine. It has been flawless for 210 rounds.

#5 ·
You're lucky you never had to employ it in self defense.

That'll be a lesson to ensupte proper function of your firearms before putting them into your carry rotation.

#7 ·
Evidently you have to make that first shot a good one!

#8 ·
Apparently they think it has a bad extractor and extractor spring. They are sending me a pre-paid shipping label and I will return it to them for a fix. They estimate 3-4 weeks for a repair and return. And the clock will start today, since I will send it back today.

Stay tuned!

#9 ·
Send it back as unsafe - get your money back. Hopefully you bought it with a Credit Card. If they won't do a refund, file a complaint with your Credit Card. Include witness statements to the shooting problems plus a copy of the warranty and stress that it is non-functional as advertised and a serious safety hazard, both because it is unreliable as a Defensive weapon as well as also putting you at risk when you shoot it at the range. If a gunsmith could verify its problems, get a statement from him. Gun is defective, that is the theme.

If you win and you have a good chance I think, the Credit Card company will just lift your payment out of the sellers bank account. I used a CC complaint - not a gun - but an expensive item bought in an auction. My payment was credited back to my card - i.e., my money returned.

#10 ·
I actually want to keep the gun, if the issues can be fixed. It is a great complement to my G26, and for the times my attire requires a smaller weapon, it fits the bill perfectly...PLUS...it's super easy to break down, just like my G26! I did a fair amount of research before making the purchase, in cash, not credit card, so going the route of a refund isn't an option for me.

I will give Diamondback a chance to make it right. If the problem is the extractor or extractor and springs, it should be an easy fix and another session at the range will determine if it's a keeper, or trade-fodder for another gun.

#13 ·
I went to my local gunshop since I had ordered a new PF9. Upon there I saw a DB9 and just had to look at it. Man that was a small 9 mm and store owner stated i can change if i want too because He can sell that PF9. I took my p32 out of my pocket and laid it on the shop counter thereby the gunshop owner laid the DB9 on top to compare the size difference. The DB9 was not that much bigger, however from hearing stories here at this forum abt the DB pistols I stated its nice but I think I will get the PF9. I got the green frame with the blued slide for 249.00 new for cash price. He was wanting 352.00 for the DB. I thought that was a little pricey for it anyway....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.