Defensive Carry banner

PX 4 Storm .45 Beretta--Where's the Love?

19K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Brent95 
#1 ·
I have now put 1000 rounds through my "big gun:", and have yet to to find fault with it. Got no response. Why isn't this weapon more openly touted? I've seen that several LEO agencies have adopted it as their primary carry--so why not more positive PR and feedback?

I was basically weaned on Beretta (M9), and have "upgraded" to their .45, and have been very pleased thus far. Where's the love?

#5 ·
" UGLY?" Really now, how "pretty" can a handgun be? Isn't the issue how it feels in your hand, and then how it shoots and the brand's reputation?! Many say the Chiappa Rhino is "ugly." Others say it is" Futuristic." As always , " beauty is in..."--- you know how that goes!:duh:

Reactions: gatorbait51
#18 ·
This.....from a Glock owner. :rolleyes: :haha:

The safety on the PX4 is only backwards compared to something that operates in the opposite manner. You'll usually only hear this complaint from 1911 fans. Many DA/SA autos have "up for safe" safety levers, including P series Rugers and 3rd generations S&W pistols. IMO, only single action pistols, or those that can be carried cocked and locked, actually NEED a safety lever. There should be no reason to use a safety on a DA/SA gun without "cocked and locked" capability, like the PX4. All that's needed is a decocker lever, like the Sig classic design. Actually, the PX4 is available with a "decock only" lever, in the G series on some models. The long DA trigger pull for the first shot is safety enough for anyone who obeys gun safety rules.

#9 ·
SIXTO: About 6-8 months ago I read that the Providence or Pawtucket, R.I. police dept. had ordered the Storm for their primary. Later, I read that they sold them for I don't know what! I had two PX4's and sold them because, at that time ,I wanted a S&W and SP101. the Beretta's treated me well except for a problem with the take-down on the full size PX4. One problem I have found with handguns is that there are way too many to choose from: as a newcomer to the club, I have bought, sold, traded more than my share( just ask my wife!).:wave:

#16 · (Edited)
Yep, the safety is backwards. That is a deal breaker for me unless the double action trigger is like a well-broken-in revolver and I can just leave the safety off all the time.

#17 ·
I'm pondering why the 'reversed' safety is a concern??? If it's not on to start with, i.e. hammer down it's as safe as it gets. Are some of you carrying a PX4 cocked and locked?

I guess another thought is why is it backwards? Doesn't the PX4 safety work exactly like the S&Ws autos the police used to carry?

#25 ·
Its not a problem. When I've carried mine, I carry it hammer down and in the first "click" drop safe position, rendering it a DA weapon for the first shot. I use the safety as a de-cocker only.

These are excellent guns, I have 3 of them, and none has ever failed to anything in thousands of rounds. They are completely reliable. Only my XDs have been able to do the same...

#19 ·
First, I'd like to +1 Vaquero 45's post immediately above this one. The only thing we might disagree on is that the PX4 can be carried in a cocked and locked mode IF it has the safety/decocker combo. Although, to me, that defeats the purpose of the DA/SA trigger.

I especially agree that the DA/SA adds a degree of safety, and Bruce Gray feels the same way; I'm pretty sure he carries a PX4.

Then, here's an excerpt from an article about PX4 testing from a few years back:

ACCOKEEK, MD (October 08, 2007) — Beretta today announced that is has received documentation from the Italian ‘Banco di Prova’ that three Beretta PX4 Storm pistols had 30,000 rounds (10,000 per pistol) fired through them with ZERO defects during a specialized ballistic test conducted on behalf of the German State Police. The Italian Banco di Prova, an Italian proof house that oversees and certifies testing for firearms, did the actual testing last month.This independent testing is further proof of how the Px4 Storm series of pistols truly represents the next generation of handguns, providing a new threshold of durability and reliability for the Law Enforcement and Defense communities.

“The Px4 Storm not only offers Law Enforcement professionals incredible versatility by allowing the operator to fit the gun to his or her hands through any combination of backstraps, controls size and location, actions and calibers, but this pistol offers unprecedented reliability and durability regardless of the Law Enforcement operator and conditions,” stated Matteo Recanatini, Marketing Manager, LE/Defense Division. “While we are very pleased with the results of the international testing, we are not surprised by them. This is a very reliable firearm.”

And then,

#21 ·
Hoganbeg,

I'm an old timer myself and I have to say that the Sig DAK triggers and the P250 DAO triggers are as good or better than my custom 686 trigger.

Then, and not to beat a dead horse, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation about the success and reliability of the PX4 design. Here's a quote from Beretta1526, admin on the Beretta forum:

'...One of the Beretta instructors was using a PX4 9mm for quite some time, and had racked up well over 100,000 (Yes, 100k) rounds in his PX4. To my knowledge, the only item replaced was the recoil spring. The pistol was maintained in a normal fashion and all different types of ammo (including NATO) were used. All the while, there was zero malfunctions that could be attributed to the pistol. I think there were a couple misfires/duds. I'll have to ask him about it again next time I see him."

#22 ·
I really don't think people hate the PX4 it's just that it's up against some excellent competition. For most folks it is ranked about 4 or 5 on the list of best polymers. I would most like take M&P's, XD's, HK, and Glock over the PX4. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I really don't think people hate the PX4 it's just that it's up against some excellent competition.
That's certainly true and it just doesn't have the widespread acceptance that other guns seem to have. And holsters can be a problem too. I can get a Raven Concealment Phantom holster for either my Sig P226 or Hk P30L (and most of the other guns you mentioned in your post) with the Viridian C5L mounted but not for the PX4.

UPDATE:
It seems I posted some bad info. I said I was pretty sure Bruce Gray carried a DA/SA PX4. I checked that - he doesn't; he carries a Sig P2022 DA/SA and is a strong advocate for the DA/SA.

That's both interesting and pertinent because the P2022 pretty much falls in the same category as the PX4. I think either is an uber reliable gun, just not popluar and accessories are more limited. Moreso for the P2022 than the PX4. You can readily get 18 and 20 round mags for the PX4. I'm not aware of any 18 or 20 round mags for the P2022.

#24 ·
I have always liked the PX4 design, perhaps someday I'll get a chance to shoot one :yup:

It seems that a lot of good pistols slip through the cracks because they're not touting the latest/greatest fad. For some, the DA/SA is old fashioned. It takes a second place to the striker fired SA type, and DAO pistols that are all the latest rage. A lot of people, me included, prefer a consistent trigger experience, hence the popularity of the same.

#26 ·
I own the Px4 in .45....

I love the gun. Like the original poster, i was weaned on 92F & D models by my dad. He is a retired LEO, state pistol champ and instructor. So Beretta's are "family" to me. :image035:

I really like the Px4 for several reasons. It's a good shooting gun, accurate, well built and packs a punch. On the down side, if any, it's like carrying a railroad tie around. It's just too big and heavy to carry concealed, for me anyway.

The Px4 with a tactical light is now my "night stand gun", but I still shoot it as much as I can. My everyday carry is currently a Glock 26. I have also looked at the smaller versions of the Px4 and may own one in the future as my everyday carry.

Tim

#28 ·
My wife's PX 4C has been utterly reliable since day one. No brass to face/head,excellent ergos,eats any ammo we feed it, and for her very soft to shoot even with +P ammo. Yes they are rather strange looking but a excellent example of form follows function. I own/carry full size 1911's but I would consider one in 45acp if I was looking for a plastic gun.

#29 ·
I don't like the slide mounted safety and that you have to push it up to fire. I also didn't like having to carry a brick in my left pocket so I didn't lean over to the right when I carry it at 3:00 OWb on my right hip. I got rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.