Defensive Carry banner

This is common sense gun legislation

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chiefjason 
#1 ·
While HB 650 was a big step for gun owners and carriers in NC, there were some loopholes left with the potential to be exploited. One of those is parks carry. The new legislation stated you could carry in parks, but left some areas for potential GFZ's. Here is the clause that is being batted around by local governments currently.

"A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle. For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following: a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, and an athletic facility."

Several cities have banned guns anywhere they can, several are even trying to circumvent the law by defining athletic facility too broadly. Well, Hickory had this on their agenda last night. There were 2 options; ban guns everywhere they legally could or allow guns everywhere on park property. I was a bit surprised that we got a 6-1 vote in favor of unrestricted parks carry! :danceban:

"After a public hearing dominated by residents in favor of unrestricted carry, council members sided with the consensus opinion. Carrying a concealed handgun remains prohibited in city offices and much of the city’s property. Those parts of the existing ordinance did not change."

City Council OKs concealed handguns in Hickory parks | Hickory Daily Record

Government in action, instead of inaction, for a change. :hand10: Maybe other cities will take Hickory's lead on this.

See less See more
Reactions: CountryGal
#4 ·
Yes, both of them. I actually jumped the gun on this and thought the vote was the other way over there. Seems I looked at the wrong vote. I emailed the lot of them too. I wanted to be there, but had to take my daughter somewhere. Between the emails, and the 40 pro carry folks that showed up to the meeting; they got the message loud and clear.

#5 ·
I like our law much better, nothing "outside" of a building can be posted nor made illegal in any way by anyone. Parking garages cannot be posted, they are not a building. It must be a permanent structure with 4 walls, a roof and doors. Cities cannot ban carry in parks or any other public areas that are not a building.

LOL... so a city near us, went out and put "no gun" signs on all the of restrooms in the park. What asses. Enough flak came out of that, they were removed, not because of the "heat" they took, but because it was getting too expensive to keep replacing them...... seems people kept removing them.

I think they need to quit with the loopholes for this and that, and make it "simple" and where it cannot be misconstrued nor misinterpreted.

Reactions: CountryGal
#6 ·
I don't think there is such a thing as common sense gun legislation. Isn't if funny how times have changed. Government has taken away our rights and gives just a little bit back and we think that is progress.

#8 ·
The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

Reactions: ctr
#7 ·
Eagleks, I'd love to have that. Loopholes are one of the biggest issues in NC law. Initially, this started out as a solid carry provision with no loopholes. Then they caved and put in the exceptions. I knew these fights were coming. It's nice to see a local government not grab all of the power and control that they could have and honor the spirit of the law.

ctr, well it is progress. I don't like the state the laws are in. Folks before my time did too little to protect what we had. Now we are having to claw it back a bit at a time. I don't like it, but I like the other option less. Which is deal with the status quo. NC had a serious power swing in the legislature this last voting cycle. We are making hay while the sun is shining. Two years age we could not get a weak Castle Doctrine out of committee. Last session we got a large omnibus style gun bill through with a real CD. Another one still in committee. The Wildlife Commission eased their carry rules. So we are making progress in a better direction now.

#9 ·
not so fasr

I am new to this website as a poster but have read it quite a few times.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the loophole in the city park system to include a larger one.

If any of you have read HB650 it does state that State parks are legal for cwp holders,

3 times this week i have driven down to Goosecreek State park in Beaufort County, Anyways they have a brand new sign that reads" alcohol and firearms prohibited"

Did i read it wrong? or is this a violation?

thanks guys

#10 ·
LIke I said in the other thread, they are wrong. The question is whether it's intentional, or they have not gotten around to fixing it. Even with this passing in Hickory, it would not surprise me to find the old no guns sign on the park we go to. If they are not down in 30 days, start complaining about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.