Defensive Carry banner

Tauras 357 mag vs 44 special snub nose?

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TheZman 
#1 ·
Ok went to the local today looking for a nice 357 snubby for ccw , home protection and woods carry. Im looking at the tauras model 617 357 mag for only $415. Dealer didnt have it in stock but can get it in for me in 4 days! But while i was there he had the Taurus ultralight 44 special snubnose in like a target grey finish for $409 .. Held it in my hand and really loved the feel of this revolver and the look of it! So my question is what would be a better gun the 357 or the 44 special? taurus 617 specs are holds 7 rounds its 28 oz 2" barrel in bead blasted stainless steel. The taurus 44 special ultralight holds 5 rounds is 22 oz 2 inch barrel in a greyinsh stainless finish. Love how light the ultralight feels too! Good thing about the 357 would be more ammo options and avaliability of ammo. 44 special has bigger diamiter bullet but more expensive to shoot! Im honestly leaning toward the 357 for alot of obvious reasons but does anybody think the 44 special would be better??

#2 ·
Depends on priorities. For me, the 44spl would be the first choice because I reload my own ammo.

Too be honest, if you are not in big bear country, you would be just as well off with a 38spl loaded with 158 grn hardcast bullets. Buds gun shop has used Smith& Wessons on sale right now for 269.00.

With that combo, you would have a superior gun, and great cartridge at at half the price.

#3 ·
Sounds like you like 44 special better cause you reload. But what about somone that just buys factory ammo? I give buds a look sounds like good deals i just dont like buying guns online cause you cant really see them before you buy and the local gun shops around hear always get pissy and charge a 50 FFL fee and give you attitude.. The new taurus prices are hard to beat i actually from experience of owning taurus have never had any problems what so ever so far with there quality. Actually like them alot. I do own smith and wesson as well just for this aplication i dont see myself spending alot of money on a snuby and in not really a fan of buying used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.