Defensive Carry banner

New type of weapon

4K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  matthew03 
#1 ·
I have an idea for a new type of weapon. It's a simple idea, non-lethal and I'm very surprised no one else has thought of it...or maybe they have and found it to be illegal. I'm going to get a preliminary patent, but before I try to build them, how would I find out whether or not it would be legal?

#2 ·
ahh....let me guess; you will have to kill yourself if you tell anyone anything

or is it that you will have to kill them after you tell them...

wait, you can't kill them cause its non-lethal

another fine mess you've gotten us in
---------
to find out if its legal---use it and get sued

Reactions: gunthorp and l1a1
#4 ·
Swear us all to secrecy, & then let us know what it is & somebody may have an idea whether your new weapon is legal or not.

#5 ·
Might give us an idea,what you think is a new idea is very possible either already being used,or would not be an effective non -lethal device

#8 ·
To the OP - sorry to let the cat out of the bag. Forgive me please.

It's a Nerf Claymore mine. :)

Reactions: RETSUPT99
#13 ·
Talk to a patent attorney (sometimes call themselves "intellectual Property Lawyer") to see if it is patentable. Second, check with the BATFE - get a written letter (not that they can't change their stand on the drop of a hat...). Then start checking with individual states - my be legal in some and not in others.

#14 ·
Trying to patent something isn't worth it unless you are a huge corporation with lawyers on retainer who are prepared to defend the intellectual property. You would be better off finding someone to manufacture it and someone to market the finished product and make your money as fast as possible. As an individual without backing as soon as you put a good idea on the market there will be imitations, (if it was a good idea to begin with), and it will be up to you to defend the patent with your checkbook. That will become cost prohibitive rather quickly.

#24 ·
A thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage, but not capable of causing death. I cannot imagine what could be new or improved and never considered before. Google your idea, do some research and see if anyone else has tried your invention. If and when you are able to disclose your secret I am interested.

#25 ·
I carry a can of skoal as my third line of defense. Hit someone with a non lethal to the head or sprinkel it in their eyes cause it hurts bad, dont ask me how i know this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.