Defensive Carry banner

which would you get?

5K views 47 replies 35 participants last post by  Rangel 
#1 ·
hello all.
recently I've been wanting to build up my speed and accuracy a bit so I was thinking of getting a new 9mm for the sole purpose of shooting until it wont shoot anymore. I dont want to get a 22lr because every time I shoot a 22lr I do great but once I switch back to something with recoil I drop right back to where I was when I started. I really dont want to spend the money on a nice gun that I'll regret ruining and that's precisely why I dont want to use my SR9C for this task.

since I'm just looking for a cheap gun to beat the breaks off I'm considering either a Hi Point C9 or an Arcus 98DA. the Hi Point has a lifetime warranty while the Arcus just has a 2 year warranty. HI point generally costs around $115-130 while the arcus costs around $250. the HP has a polymer frame while the Arcus is steel. HI point is DAO(or SAO never have found the exact answer for that) while the Arcus is DA/SA. HP is american, Arcus is bulgarian imported by CAI.

anyone shot both, which would you get?

#4 ·
Both of those pistols are prone to failures all the time..... the walther is made of zamax pot metal... look at the ruger sr22. If you must have a 9mm pick up used glock or sig 9mm for 100 extra over your budget and be done with it.

I am also not following the whole recoil thing, whether I shoot my 22, my nine, my 357 or my 10mm I am accurate... are you trying to get perfect grip/stance/sight picture groupings while punching paper in a stress free environment?

#5 ·
AZ chevy, junk is what I'm looking for :smile: as stated for I'm looking for a piece of... uh... stuff that I wont regret trashing.

RamJet, I'm not really a fan of the mosquito and I've heard of way too many cases of warping and disfigured P22s. umarex really should stick to airsoft and bbguns IMHO.

#34 ·
In all seriousness, a junk pistol is just going to teach you how a real pistol doesn't shoot - and that's if it shoots at all, which I can say from personal experience with High Point that it is not at all a sure thing. You will learn a lot about how a High Point will randomly lock back the slide like no other pistol will, how to clear stove-pipes out of a tiny side ejection port that barely provides room for the shell to escape, when to clean the cheap paint off the barrel so that it stops gumming up the internals, and how to handle a poorly balanced top-heavy gun that handles like no other real pistol does.

If you want something that you won't regret trashing, get yourself a used Glock and abuse the poo out of it. It won't mind a bit.

#7 ·
As far as I have read (and I haven't got there myself yet) you should be able to put over 10,000 rounds through any decent modern gun with just changing a cheap springs or two and keeping it lubed up. For 9mm that's at least $2000 for the cheapest ammo you can find, unless you reload of course. Therefore, why not get a decent gun?

How about picking up a used Glock or even a new one if you can't find a used one for a significant discount. You could probably put 10,000 rounds through a new Glock it and then still have a highly functional weapon, if not flawless.

#8 ·
Of the two I would choose the Arcus 98DA because it looks like it would feel more like a main stream pistol but I would want to hold one before I paid money for it.
I don't believe in buying a firearm until I have held one.
You might want to look at the CZ-82 in 9x18, you can get the pistol and 1000 rounds of ammo for about 450.00
I got my info from JG sales and able ammo.

#9 ·
I believe if it were me, I'd throw another 50 on top of the price of the Arcus and pick up a S&W Sigma.
You can find them all over the world NIB for 299, even less if you shop a little. Terrible trigger but a quality gun.
Just my $.02

Reactions: Diddle
#28 ·
Many people including myself have found the SW9VE (as well as the SW40VE) to be 100% reliable, inexpensive, and you can generally sell one for almost what you paid for it about any day. far better than the ultra lo-end pistols and darn good accuracy. Additionally, the Sigma in 9mm can be had for just a few more dollars than the Kel-tec offerings which ain't bad at all for what you pay for them.
You should be able to find a SW9VE for $300.00 or less.

#10 ·
I have put 1000s of rounds through my P22 not one issue But thats me I cannot speak for you. I like the Mosquito because it felt good in the hand and shot well but that was my buddies not mine so I cannot say about the issues you describe.

In that case get a Ruger 22 pistol or better yet a nice S&W 22 revolver. In the end you get what you pay for.

#11 ·
Ok silly question, but what kind of shooting are you planning on doing that would ruin your ruger? It should be good for thousands of rounds. I dont follow your need here.

Reactions: NY27 and helderberg
#12 ·
Arcus is a cheap weapon but they have proven to work If your planning on just shooting it till it is wore out and junk 300 bucks on sale is cheap.
I own a Ruger SR9C go ahead an shot it you aint wearing it out anytime soon.

#16 · (Edited)
I believe if it were me, I'd throw another 50 on top of the price of the Arcus and pick up a S&W Sigma.
You can find them all over the world NIB for 299, even less if you shop a little. Terrible trigger but a quality gun.
Just my $.02

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm in this camp as well.
I bought a 9mm Sigma SW9ve from a guy at work for $180 with five mags.

I shoot it, ALMOST as well as my M&P9c, and it shoots way better than my Kel Tec P11.

You should be able to get a decent/good used/new and shoot {as has been said 25,000-40,000} rounds thru it.

Reactions: AlwaysReady
#14 ·
Your whole approach makes exactly zero sense to me. The cost of practice is ammunition and time, not the gun for goodness sakes.

Just buy a used Glock and try to live long enough and shoot enough to wear it out. Good luck with that. They have been tested to well over 30,000 rounds with nothing but recoil spring replacements. Clean it every 500 rounds or so and it will last longer, or not. You just plain can't trash them, they are tougher than you are.

A used Glock will outlast two or three of the guns you mention. And if you do have a problem, you can fix it your self, no gunsmith required. It's the easiest gun to work on I've ever seen.

Fitch

Reactions: NY27
#15 ·
well...if your looking for cheap..the hp is the way to go.....it's cheap...you can't hurt it...the first cleaning is after 2000 rnds....however I'm on the same page as the other guys...get a glock 19 if your gonna shoot cheap rnds.....the 9mm doesn't have the stopping pwr of bigger bore pistols but hey....they go bang.....

Steve

#21 ·
What sense is there in buying a gun/tool that is poorly made and will wear out sooner than a well made dependable gun/tool. If you need to buy two or more guns to last as long as one quality piece, it just doesn't make sense to me. Buy a good gun and put through it as much ammo as you can.
Frank.

#22 ·
Save your money on a cheap gun and just buy ammo and practice.

You will not destroy your SR9c by shooting it more often.

#24 ·
Get a used Glock-19...you won't be able to ruin it by just shooting thousands and thousands of rounds.
You'll wear out before the gun.:yup:

#25 ·
"the HP has a polymer frame while the Arcus is steel."

That should be ~ The HP has a polymer frame and a pot metal slide while the Arcus is steel.

You should be able to pick up a slightly used SIGMA for the same price as the Arcus.

#26 ·
Do you carry the Ruger? If so train/practice with it. You will not break it. If your having trouble with recoil seek out an instructor and spend the money on some training to help you get your fundamentals down....

#29 ·
I don't understand your logic. Why buy a junk gun that isn't going to be reliable or durable? That's just throwing money away. Either buy a decent used gun, (plenty of police trade in's out there: 3rd Gen Smith's can be found for ~ $300 in great shape and they would last forever), or spend that money on ammo and a class. If you shoot a gun enough to wear it out you've spent far more in ammunition costs that the gun's value anyway, even if reloading.

Do you have a spare CCW? If you do happen to use your gun for SD it's going to be locked up in evidence for the duration and you'll be unarmed. Much better to have two reliable guns that you know you can count on than a low round count primary and a back up that you can't count on in a jam.

#30 ·
I guess my logic is that it would be nice to have a throw away gun. I have a nice little stock pile of ammo I got on the cheap but it's all more than 10 years old and much of it is micro batch reman ammo. add the day where, god forbid, I ever start experimenting with my own reloads it would be nice to have a gun that I wont mourn the loss of if i accidentally drop a double charge in. in my experience, many of the used guns I've looked at have already been used and abused to the point that I would feel safer shooting a shotgun shell out of a flare gun. I have a backup CCW, an XDM45C which is a lot less conducive to heavy practice but dead reliable if I ever should lose my SR9C to an evidence locker. the local PDs here sell their guns to an outfit 3 hours drive so by the time you factor in gas money I may as well have just stayed in town and got a brand new gun. also none of the S&Ws I've tried has had a trigger I could cope with.

#32 ·
as cheep as they are city of miami cops prefer Hi-point as their throw down of choice

I use one for practice in 40 because of the kick I makes me more accurate with the 45 colt I carry ,bought it at a gun show for less than a hundred was a demo has been back twice for repairs no cost

Its a beater not a glamor queen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.