Defensive Carry banner

What to do with my gun over spring break

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Gamalot 
#1 ·
My college's spring break is starting soon and I will be going out of town. I currently live off campus in an apartment where I do not have a safe. I do have a lockbox type thing, but I don't think it is by any means impregnable. A pest control crew will be in my apartment while I am gone, so I am worried about leaving the gun in my apartment. I will be flying out of a bigger city and parking my car in the long-term lot there. My car does not have a locking glove compartment or any real spot where I can safely store the firearm, but I was thinking of using the chamber lock to bolt it to the frame.

What should I do?

#7 ·
Then only time I went on spring break, I carried my gun. While I was out of the country before, I've handcuffed my gun to my seat frame in the airport parking lot as that was my only option.

#8 ·
Taking it with me is not an option. I checked at the gun store, and they want me to do this tricky thing with a loan. They want me to borrow $20 dollars and put the gun down as collateral. Then come back after my trip, pay back the $20 I borrowed plus $4 interest, and they'll give me my gun back. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

#11 ·
Is the FFL a pawnbroker? If so, that's probably a good idea. If not, don't do it. Also you'll have to fill out a 4473 when you pick it up and I'm guessing that's free in Texas.

#10 ·
Since taking it with you isn't an option, I'd find another gun store/ shooting range/ gunsmith and leave the gun for cleaning.

#18 ·
I am not sure if you are being serious or just joking...

But that is too funny!

:)

#16 ·
Well, I'm leaving tomorrow and I have my solution all set. I'm not going to worry about the loan thing because there is significant potential for disaster. I'm not going to do a safety deposit box because I have heard that they'll just call your box "abandoned" and crack it open. I also don't have time to go buy a safe (I leave tomorrow).

Instead, I am going to lock the gun around the bracket of one of the front seats. It makes it invisible from the outside, and even if some punk makes it into my car he won't find it. In the unlikely event that it is found, it will be impossible to get off without cutting steel or taking out the seat.

#17 ·
Thank you all for your ideas! In the future I will have a safe and this won't be an issue.

Do I need to worry about the legality of leaving a firearm in an airport parking lot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.