Defensive Carry banner

Talon Grips...Granular? Rubber?

94K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Bigmac31391 
#1 ·
Anyone use granular Talon Grips on their CCW? I'm questioning how comfortable it would be to carry with sandpaper-like material against the skin.

#3 ·
#5 ·
I am using the rubber texture on my G19 with a Supertuck. Have not tried the granular type. Pushing 90 degrees at the range yesterday with loads of humidity. No problem with grip on the Glock and no problem with irritation where the grip was touching bare skin.

#8 ·
I use the rubber Talon grips on my G19 and G23, both of which are EDC guns.
I just installed granular Talon's on my G34, which will probably only ever see a firing range or IDPA course.
My initial impression of the granulars is that they wouldn't do for me for CC. I normally wear my shirt untucked, and I'd worry that my shirt would hang up on the gritty texture. This doesn't occur with the rubber grips.

#9 ·
i've used skate board tape for decades. i cut to fit for the areas that i want to have greater
grip....tactical feel. the $3.00 for the 2 sheets i still have some of left of from more than a 20 guns i have put pieces of it on.
i think it has more than paid for itself.
though the ease of having it precut may make it worth the higher cost for some. totally your call.

careful with cleaning, the chemicals may weaken the bond
and that product cost wise is much more than in its skate board form.

#11 ·
Used rubber type on several guns and liked them a lot. Never tried the other type.:wave:
P.S. Hickok45 uses them on all his Glocks(Videos for almost every gun known to exist!).

Reactions: glockcoma
#12 ·
I have both the granular and rubber type. My preference is the granular as the grip is more secure. However, you will destroy any fabric, leather, skin, etc. which comes in contact with the grip. For this practical reason alone, only rubber grips are applied to my carry guns!

#13 ·
I always have a plain white shirt under my clothing makes it a lot more comfortable to carry. Like clay said, if you are considering grips, skateboard grip tape is great. It can last a lifetime on a gun easy, you can cut it to any form you want, it only costs about $7 for a pretty large sheet, and is extremely adhesive. I think the "comfort" mainly depends on the type of gun you carry, your weight, your holster, and your belt, but if you're not a cheapo like me you may as well just go for the rubber.

#14 ·
I had the granular on my XD and when I IWB carried without an undershirt, it tore the heck out of my skin. I switched to the rubber grips. I liked the granular one better, but the rubber one works well too and does not rub your skin raw. I live in Houston, so wearing multiple shirts in the summer is almost unbearble.

#16 ·
I have tried both for my M&P Shield. The granular grip is a more positive grip but the problem is it is like velcro against cotton. My t-shirt would snag on the granular grip when I would draw my pistol. The rubber grip isn't quite as nice in the hand but no snagging on t-shirt when drawing. So I guess the moral of the story is there is a trade-off between the grips. I figured what good is a really nice grip if you can't get the pistol out of the holster? The granular grip is excellent if you want it for a range gun but not so good for a carry gun.

#17 ·
Wife ordered from amazon the Rubber for her G26 but I got the Granulate for my G19. I don't think she knew they had two choices , feels pretty comfortable and i have a sweat guard on my holster.

#19 ·
Sorry to resurrect an old post - but, fit those of you with the granulate - do you ever pocket carry with it? If not, do you think it would aid or inhibit a smooth pocket draw?

I'm deciding between rubber and granulate for a Ruger LC9s Pro I am going to pocket carry on my weak side. I need something, small gun, bug hands... But I'm worried about snagging the pocket lining.

#20 ·
I have used the rubber Talon grips for years on all of my Glocks. I like them because they are easy to grip when your hands are sweaty / slippery, and they are easy to consistently get a high grip on the pistol. The Gen4 Glock texture works fine (can be a little rough after 200+ rounds in one day), but it bites your hand a little more so I was sometimes grabbing a little low. In general they are great.

You definitely want to prepare your gun well to get it to stick well, and also be careful not to apply too much heat when you are finishing-up with a blow dryer. The Talon grips lasted 2 years on my EDC, which was good. The only thing I didn't like is that once they came loose they did it all at once. It isn't ideal when you go to grab your pistol and your thumb slips. Anyway, it's still the best thing out there IMO.

The only other issue that I have seen is when I let someone shoot my G42 and she used a Remora type holster. The rubber stuck to the inside of the holster and made it difficult to draw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.