Defensive Carry banner

Could use your help with a EDC decision...

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  hinkleid 
#1 ·
I've just registered. I currently have a CCW permit and carry a Stainless Walther PPK in .380ACP. I'm wanting to buy another gun for CC so I can switch them up occasionally. Currently looking at the following options:

1. Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm with 9 round mags (27 oz.)
2. Springfield Armory Micro Compact in .45ACP with 6 round mags (26 oz)
3. Springfield Armory Ultra Compact in .45ACP with 6 round mags and Stainless Steel (33 oz.)

First choice would be #3, although I'm not crazy about the extra 6 ounces. Maybe it wouldn't be that noticeable. ???
Second choice would be #2.
Third choice is now #1, although I actually started out looking at the EMP only. I'm torn between the .45 and 9mm. Both have advadvantages and disadvantages.

I would love your comments. If you've had either of these, or another option, give me your input. There are no wrong answers. I'm hoping to learn from all of you.

Thanks.

Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're bound and determined to stick to the 1911 platform; may as well go .45

I carry 9mm personally for the additional rounds, but to each his own.

#5 ·
All your choices are too small in my opinion.

A Colt Commander size .45 with appropriate holster would suit.

#7 ·
You want easily concealed, dependable, accurate, fairly priced (whatever that means), and .45 ACP holes?
Glock-36...just grab ahold of one...:yup:

#8 ·
I have to give you credit ret, your nothing if not consistent in your recommendations. Glock 36 and fist holsters all the way! :)

#10 ·
I chose to ignore good advice regarding micro 1911's, and had to learn on my own the reasons why I don't care for them.

If you're set on 1911, I wouldn't go shorter than commander length.

If you're set on small frame .45/9m, I'd recommend Glock or S&W. The G30 will give you 10+1 of 45 ACP, in one of the most compact, reliable and accurate platforms in that class.

#13 ·
Your first two choices are six or seven ounces heavier than the Walther you are currently carrying. The third choice is thirteen ounces heavier plus the ammo in the magazines will weigh more than the .380 rounds. So, yes, you will probably notice a difference. It would be good if you could find a range that rents your three choices so you could give them a test run and try them on for size. I've got a PPK/S myself (S&W version). I don't carry it much because the "improved" beavertail digs into my ribs when I'm sitting.

#14 ·
I've never cared about weight. Carrying IWB, it just isn't an issue, the weight is being carried by your hips, and your hips can easily carry the weight of any firearm you might put on them (barring some sort of physical disability). Length never mattered to me much either, the barrel is inside my pants, as long as I can sit without it going past by rear-end it will work for carrying. What has mattered to me quite a bit when carrying is how wide the firearm is. A full size 1911 is much easier for me to conceal, and much more comfortable than a compact with a double stack mag. Also, more important to me than the firearm itself (in carry-ability at least) is what holster I can get for it, as the holster, imo, is the most influential variable in whether I can comfortably CC a firearm.

#15 ·
I bought an EMP when they first came out. I had so many problems with that thing. I sent it so SA twice (free) and they returned it. Just kept giving me problems. I ended up trading for a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry in .45. Have yet to have a problem.

I later bought another 9 for those light days. A M&P 9c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.