Defensive Carry banner

Brownings Greatest Design: Hi-Power

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  zonker1986 
#1 ·

#5 ·
I loved my Hi-Power I had back in the 80's, but the drawbacks I had with it were as follows:

The magazine release button stuck out so far that the lousy flap holsters were were forced to use at that department would tend to make contact, press the button, and pop the magazine loose. It would then extend just enough that if I had to draw and fire, if it fired at all the magazine would drop, and now I had a metal club instead of a pistol. I took to cutting out the leather to fix that, but caught flack for "modifying" my gear.

For off duty carry, my body sweat when carrying MOB would cause the screws in the grip would rust, and micro rust was forming on the blued finish.

Other than that, I loved it and regretted selling it to get a Glock. Never regretted getting a Glock, just wished I had not sold such a beautiful pistol that I could drive nails with, but being a new, poor cop made such choices necessary.....and I still wish I had it...wait a tic....., I wonder if my local hole in the wall gun store has a used one ..... (looks back and forth with an evil grin while rubbing hands together...)

:image035:

#6 ·
Nice video as allways

#8 ·
I'm enthused about the Hi Power and enjoyed the clip.

I'm willing to own and shoot a Hi Power but will leave the Glocks for someone else.

#10 ·
John Browning was a true genius. He invented almost every iconic American firearm. From the 1911 and BHP to the model 94 and the ma deuce, his genius knew no limits.

Reactions: R040607
#13 ·
1885 Winchester Hi-Wall & Low Wall (Browning Model 1878)
1886 Winchester Lever Action
1890 Winchester (pump .22)
1892 Winchester Lever Action
1894 Winchester Lever Action
1895 Winchester Lever Action
1900 Winchester (bolt action .22)
F.N., Remington & Browning .22 semi-auto
F. N. Pump .22
Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
1887 Winchester Lever Action Shotgun
1901 Winchester Lever Action Shotgun
1893 Winchester Pump Action Shotgun
1897 Winchester Pump Action Shotgun
Stevens Model 520 Pump Action Shotgun
Remington Model 17 Pump Action Shotgun (became the Ithaca M-37)
Browning Auto 5 Semi-Auto Shotgun (Remington Model 11 & Savage Model 720)
Superposed Over-Under Shotgun
1895 Automatic Machine Gun (Colt's "potato digger”)
1917 .30cal. Water Cooled Automatic Machine Gun
1923 .50cal. Water Cooled Automatic Machine Gun
Remington Model 8 (1906), semi-automatic rifle
.50cal. M-2 Automatic Machine Gun, patent granted, May 10, 1927
Browning .38cal Semi-Automatic Pistol
F.N. .32ca. Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1903 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1905 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1907 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1908 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1909 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1910 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt 1911 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Colt Woodsman .22 Semi-Automatic Pistol
9mm Parabellum (not until after his death, did it become the F.N. P-35 Hi-Power)
Those are just his designs that saw fruition.
No other designer in history has been that prolific.

#15 ·
Brownings Greatest Design: Hi-Power
What, not the M1919A machine gun?

The HP is pretty great, absolutely. Have shot them quite a bit, though I've not yet owned one. But that M1919 is pretty sweet.

#16 ·
@OD: Nice post friend. The only (really important) guns I can think of that JMB didn't invent or influence are the Garand and the 03 Springfield.

#17 ·
That's a good point, Tim.

As a bit of trivia, the same man that designed the Hi-Power as we know it today, Dieudonné Joseph Saive, also designed the Fabrique Nationale Model 1949 and the Fabrique Nationale Fusil Automatique Léger (FN-FAL).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.