Defensive Carry banner

Amature Repair - Part - Help - Tarus M66 Sight Blade Orange Glow Tip?

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ANGLICO 
#1 · (Edited)
Was out banging rounds. Came back to clean said firearms and realized that I had lost my Orange Day Glow front sight blade insert off of a Tarus M66 .357.

This is more of a cosmetic problem than a functional issue concerning the firearm, but I would like to get it corrected.

Went through all the product info, searched Tarus website, called local shops and cannot find anyone but Tarus that will provide a replacement......

But you have to mail the firearm back to Tarus for them to install it, since it is a part of the front sight blade. They would not send me a replacement tip marker (someome correct me on the nomenclature of the part if I'm not making my point - thanks).

Questions:

1) Can I get the insert without having to replace the entire blade? (could be why they want to do it at the factory).

2) Any of youse know where I should look?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you can buy an acrylic front sight insert kit from Brownell's but, since it is for replacing a LOT of front sight inserts it's pretty expensive.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22791/Product/FRONT-SIGHT-INSERT-KIT

You CAN carefully add a piece wax paper backed up by tape to each side of the insert slot on the sight.

Take a bit of artist oil color of whatever color you want - yellow - red - green.

You can buy a tiny tube of that at any art store.

Squeeze some of the artists oil color out onto a sheet of newsprint paper and spread it out on there very thinly so that all of the linseed oil is pulled out of it.

Buy a tube of 5 Minute Epoxy and mix some of that up....quickly add some of the oil paint pigment into the mixed Epoxy and then quickly get it into the sight dovetail.

Let it set. Pull off the slivers of waxed paper off the sides and then carefully trim off the excess tinted Epoxy from the sides and top with a brand new single edge razor blade.

Here is another thing that some folks have done and it worked.

Degrease the little sight insert dovetail. Add a bit of thick red nail polish. Let that dry. Add another bit of red nail polish. Let that dry.

Keep doing that about 50 times
until you get the entire slot filled up...let it dry for a few days...and then trim the excess off the sides and top the same as above with a brand new razor blade.

You might have to stretch this out for a couple of days but, you could probably speed up the process with the heat from a blow dryer.

#5 ·
Take a look at the Brownell’s kit, it works well and is basically the same way S&W uses to make their sight. As far as using a piece of red plastic, I have seen that method used many times long before manufactures offered sights with red plastic insets. The suggestion of a taillight was a source of red plastic.

#7 ·
This is sad because all somebody at Taurus had to do was spend a few seconds using a small sharp "***** punch" to put a few tiny dimples in the base of that front sight cut and the insert would not have come out in the first place.

#8 ·
Thanks again for these great suggestions. I think I'm actually going to use one of them and practice on a really old rifle I have, that would be cool to have a day glow tip on.

I'll have to use my (yes, now I get it) Dremmel (wow, I actually have a reason for reaching in and pulling it out from under the bench) to knotch out the front site blade on the rifle.

Disclaimer: Never had a tool I did not like, or eventually, finally find a use for.......

Much appreciated = your suggestions.

#9 ·
The last time I watched someone install a small plastic insert in a front sight he used a small triangular file to make the undercut. If you have a set of Swiss needle files they work very well for this and will not remove metal as fast as a Dremel.

#12 ·
Mucho Grab U butt! To OKshooter.

I have one of those! Makes sense.

I'm looking for a sensible solution that will not overly devalue the value of the weapon, which it 'T^Ts' dead on for instinstictive, right, left or reaction - not prepared. Good Wheel Gun! I actually have the longer barrel version (regardless of the above photo) and mine is a 7 shot. I think I will trade up to the 8 shot cylinder version, except that I am really pissed at Tarus over this right now!

Thanks everyone for the 'work around' suggestions.

Semper Fi!

#13 ·
IF you fix it yourself YOU will void any warranty that the gun has. Taurus has a lifetime warranty on all their guns and all you have to do is mail it in to their repair dept. and they fix it. it takes about a week

#14 ·
Darnd! Would you quit talking 'Reason' on this Forum!

I guess I gots some considerings to do.

But I am still going to bust out the ole rifle and and some front site mods.............. :) Because I can!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.