Defensive Carry banner

places for ammo

6K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  Kilowatt3 
#1 ·
been trying to get to the gun range, twice a month would like to go more but the cost of ammo is killing me. What do others do? I've never reloaded before and not interested, just looking for paying less than $20-$25 for a box of 50.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Ammo costs are the best reason for investing in at least one 22 plinker. I can't afford to shoot many of my other calibers right now but I can afford to fire off hundreds of 22 per range session.

#10 ·
Cabelas! $16.99 for 50 rnds of FMJ fiocchii ammo :-D $21.99 for 50 rounds of fiocchii extrema XTP HPJ loaded with horiday rounds ;-)

#12 ·
+1 if your weapon is capable you can buy a 22 conversion kit which contains a upper assembly and magazine, just pop it on and you can shoot 22 at the range all day long, then swap back to your carry setup for CC ;-D i have them for my 1911's and glocks.

#13 ·
Stop buying boxes of 50 and stock up when its on sale. For example: Walmart has 9mm Federal for $12.49 per 50 or $19.99 a box of 100. Its a no brainer, you save $5 a hundred. Check out sgammo.com, palmettostatearmory.com and ammunitiontogo.com. Those are 3 of my favorite online ammo suppliers.

#27 ·
Agree completely. I buy 9mm in 1000 round cases from SGAmmo. Love those guys. Good prices, quick response and shipping. Super nice people. I like supporting smaller family businesses as well. I'm waiting on a case to arrive tomorrow by UPS as a matter of fact.

#14 ·
Just run down to the local gun show and buy those plastic bags of loose reloaded ammo from Billy-Bob's Handy Dandy Ammo Shack. It's good to blow, I mean go!

Seriously, what caliber are you shooting? I reload my .45 ACP for @$9.00 a box, and I'm not buying components in bulk.

#32 ·
IDK I placed an order for a case of S&B three days ago.It ended up being $218. with shipping since I bought into their Buyer's Club,which is pretty good but my order is still being processed.I think I'd rather pay $5-$10 more at one of the previously mentioned sites to get it a few days sooner.YMMV.

#17 ·
#21 ·
I was just about to list my favorite online sources, but bzdog has just about got them covered. I shop around a good bit, and have found outstanding buys at all of these suppliers. Might add Luckygunner.com to the list.

You never know from day to day who's going to have the very best deal on what, but these are all good places to look.

Regards,
Jim

#19 ·
You didn't mention what caliber (s) you are shooting. That makes a big difference. Definitely look for sales, local and on-line. Remember tho', you will have to pay shipping when purchasing on-line and that often negates the 'sale' price of the ammo. Buy in bulk whenever possible. I shoot 9mm, /38 special/.357 mag. hand gun calibers. All very common. Every payday, I stop @ Walley World, or one of the local sporting goods stores and purchase a box or two of ammo. I keep an inventory, I'm kind of anal that way. I know exactly what I want to purchase each payday. If I don't find it, I go to plan B, or plan C. I also look for ... well, no sense in telling everything. I try to cover all of my bases.

#20 ·
thanks for that - been look for cheap speer lawman 9mm - found them here for 10.99 - picked up a case

#22 ·
Walmart has some great prices but you need to buy all you can when you find what your looking for. I bought 5 100 round boxes of Federal 45 ACP for $26.00. Then I hit 6 other Walmarts looking for the same ammo and couldn't Find it any any where. I was glad I bought the first one out but I would have bought another 5 - 10 boxes if I could have found them I always seem to find these deals at the end of the pay period but I stock up when I can.
I usually buy 50 rounds of Federal for 15.47 at Walmart still not a bad deal I don't think. If I can shoot 45 hardball ammo for $0.35 a bang that's good and $1.00 for self defense that's good in my book by the the
By the time you pay shipping at cheaper than dirt you've surpassed $0.35 a bang. For 45 ACP.

#25 ·
suggestiion don't buy from Jack Ross Ammo had to file a complaint with the BBB ordered ammo over 4 months ago still haven't received it. First few orders where great good ammo don't know what's happening now they don't answer there phone or emails..

Reactions: Honk
#28 ·
:aargh4:#@!)^&%#:soapbox::cussing:

Same problem. Someone recommended them and said the ammo was really good. The price was right. Waiting forever, no replies, won't answer the phone, etc. Filed a BBB complaint last week.

#33 ·
I've been buying 100 round value paks of Federal 45acp for $29.98 at walmart recently. I have 1100 rounds stocked up I usually shoot 200 in a rounds in a hour range session so its costing me $60.00 an hour plus range time. I don't think that's too bad for 45 ACP amo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.