Defensive Carry banner

What shotgun do I want?

11K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  itschuck 
#1 ·
Hoping you guys who know about shotguns can help me out. I have a general Idea of what I want in my first shotgun. I'm just not sure what model to get, or what model to get to modify to get exactly what I want. Basically what I want is a lightweight, handy 20 gauge that I can use for home defense. I would like a short traditional style stock on it, 18.5" barrel, and hope to get the capacity to at least 6 in the tube if possible. I'm thinking some type of mossberg perhaps as I like the location of the safety and the aftermarket for them seems pretty big.

I'm wondering If I should be looking for one of their youth models, or bantam models. Anyone know the difference between youth and bantam? Are they just normal sized 500's with shorter stocks on them or is the frame itself smaller? Also I would like to try some slugs for fun. Would the standard barrels be good for decent accuracy out to 100 yards? Well that's about it. Hopefully someone can help me out. My shotgun knowledge is limited and I'm kind of lost in the sauce right now.

#2 ·
My first question to you would be why a 20 gauge? A lot of times 20 gauges weigh less than their 12 gauge counterparts (due to there simply being less gun), so there isn't all that much difference in recoil. 20 gauge also has a lot less selection and availability when it comes to shell types too, so it is harder to find different types of loads.

As far as modifications, aside from your requirements of traditional stock, 18.5" barrel, and a capacity of at least 6, the only things I would recommend are a light, and maybe a side saddle, or sling if you want. That requirement of 6 in the tube is going to mean you need something with an extended magazine tube. I believe the standard capacity for normal 870's and 500's are 4+1, although capacity also depends on what length shell you are using.

I am pretty sure the only really difference between the youth models and full sized 20 gauge models is the stock. There isn't a lot of room to spare inside a Remington 870, or Mossberg 500 (the two main contenders for a pump action), so the receiver couldn't be made smaller, and 18.5" is the shortest legal length for a shotgun barrel.

The drawback out to 100 yards isn't the barrel itself, but the sights. If you practice, you can hit targets at 100 yards with a bead sight and slugs, but a typical shotgun bead set up only has the front bead, with no rear sight. Since there isn't a rear sight, it is a bit more instinctive shooting. But, there are more expensive models with different sighting systems.

#3 ·
The reason for wanting the 20 instead of the 12 is for the lighter weight really. 20's are lighter to begin with and when I add a side saddle, extended tube, fully loaded with shells, light, possibly new sights or a red dot will add more weight. Trying to keep it light and handy as possible. Also I read an article from Massad Ayoob where he talked about the merits of the 20 gauge. For a defense rifle it just doesn't seem like the 20 would be any less effective than the 12. Thanks for the advice!

#4 ·
IMO, the size/weight of the 20 is a lot easier to deal with, especially in smaller spaces like a home and/or if multiple people/SO will be using it. You can get buckshot, birdshot, small game, turkey, steel, and slugs easy enough at the major stores - or they can order it for you or find it online. While there's more options for a 12, how many of those options do the vast majority of people actually use? I wish I had bought the 20 instead of the 12 I have. Especially since it's your first, I'd go with an auto as you don't have to worry about short stroking it and recoil will be lighter.

#5 ·
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. They're like the Glock 19 of the Shotgun world. Simple, available and reliable.

As for 20 vs 12 gauge, I can't help you there. I have a 12 because it's the most common and is proven. But a 20 gauge will still ruin somebody's day and make them change their mind about trying to harm you. I just never gave a 20 gauge much thought.

#8 ·
So I was looking around the net and 20 gauge maverick 88 can be had for under $200. That about $150 saving over the mossbergs from what I've seen. Only thing is they have a longer barrel then I want. Mossberg 18.5 barrels are going for around $80. So if I bought the maverick would the mossberg barrel and other accessories work for it? Are the mavericks as reliable as the mossbergs?

#9 ·
I really think later on you will wish you had the 12, so any savings will be gone with the loss you'll take.

I would just do it right from the start and get a Remington 870 home defense type for about $350 out the door. It comes with the barrel length you want, extra capacity, and a limitless availability of accessories.

#10 ·
I only have 12 guage experience. However I have shot a maverick. Compared to the Mossberg I highly prefered the moss. The maverick had a narrow shoulder stock that hurt to shoot. It was a good gun, relia le and it resides under pops bed for hd. It was painful to shoot, but that coukd be remedied with a butt pad, different stock etc. In regards to your question regarding reliability I never had any issues with it, nor has the old man.

If you do go the 12 guage route I have a mossberg 590 that I LOVE. 20 inch barrel so slightly longer but it holds 8 in the tube. If I need more than that I will be running instead of standing my ground vs the zombies. :dead:

#13 ·
You come here and ask what shotgun you should get but you aren't listening to all of the above posters. Get a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 in 12 gauge. This aint rocket science. Both of these guns have been around for about 40 or 50 years now and they are both great. The Mossberg and the Remington are PROVEN winners. Isn't your life worth the extra 80 bucks?

Reactions: Brad426
#16 ·
12 or 20, no matter. I personally prefer a 12, a pump over an auto, and an 870 over a 500. However, I know that unlike my older (early 90s) 870 Express that was essentially the same as other 870 models, the current generation Express models are a bit down-spec'd and someone posted earlier that the current ones won't accept a standard tube extension. If you're having a hard time making it fit in your budget, I'd definitely look at a used 870, 500, or Win 1300 before I went with some of the off-brand knockoffs. You might even find a police trade in good shape with the long tube already.

#17 · (Edited)
My first question to you would be why a 20 gauge? A lot of times 20 gauges weigh less than their 12 gauge counterparts (due to there simply being less gun), so there isn't all that much difference in recoil. 20 gauge also has a lot less selection and availability when it comes to shell types too, so it is harder to find different types of loads.
+1 or whatever the number is.

The 20 would be fine, BUT, you will not be able to easily find the selection of defensive ammo for it that a 12 offers. And a 12 with low recoil Federal Flite Control 00 or #1 buckshot will probably recoil less than a 20. And it is certainly more effective than the 20. As others said, go with the Mossberg (500, 590A1) or the 870. Go take a good defensive shotgun course and then add what you need (not what looks cool) afterward.

I will disagree here with the notion that these guns are the only choices. I have an H&R Pardner, a Norinco Hawk 982, as well as an 870, Mossberg 500, 590A1, and 930SPX. I trust my life, and the lives of my family, with any of them. The Hawk 982 is actually better than the current 870 Express and a whole lot cheaper than a similarly equipped 870. There are a lot of suitable choices, but Mossberg and Remington top the list.

ETA: I also have a Winchester 1300 Defender. Great gun, but getting harder and harder to find. I hear that the Stevens 320 is a clone of the 1300 though - and a good one at that.

Reactions: Brad426
#18 ·
I own an 870 and a Mavrick and both have turn out really well. The action on the 870 is very smooth, but for whatever reason I prefer the mavrick. maybe its just because I've had it so long. I bought on my 18th birthday at a gun show. the mossberg 500 barrels fit nicely so I bought a 26" for hunting. killed my first deer with it and it has protected my life on one occasion. as far as the 12 vs 20 gauge, 12 after market parts will be easier to find and likely cheaper. as well as ammo. I highly recommend PDX1 12 gauge, I had an opportunity to try out a couple boxes last year after halloween on some pumpkins and other targets. It hold its pattern very well. in home I might stay away from slugs and go with smaller buckshot like number 1 buck.

#20 ·
Hold on, do you have tactical shotgun training? The shotgun is actually a more complex weapon than the handgun. Do you know how to select the right load for the situation and the distance? Can you shoot one and load one quickly? Do you know how to clear malfunctions? Can you do all of these things fast under pressure? Do you know how to handle a long gun in tight quarters? If the answers to these questions are no, then you may want to put off your purchase decision.

Check out the Mossberg SA-20. I wish I'd bought that. It's cheap, affordable, and delivers a sufficient load for most home defense purposes at a lighter recoil. If "traditional stock" means wood, you might have to look around, but I would think you should be able to find wood?

Read this review: Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Shotgun

You'll need a weapon-mounted light, sidesaddle ammo carrier, and a sling.

#21 ·
Maverick 88is my vote, I got the 20" barrel with a 7+1 capacity in 12ga. Functions flawless, and almost all mossberg 500 parts fit it. Even with the 20" barrel its easy to use in tight spaces. As to the 20 vs 12, its up to you both work. But honestly the weight savings are minimal for a long gun if you go with the 20ga.

#25 ·
HD shoot gun is not going to get used everyday. It does not need to be fancy, it needs to work first time every time. No need to put a lot of cash into it.
870 ,500 all great shoot guns.
Mossberg Maverick sells for 159-189 all day long just about prefect size very good quality and will never fail you no madder how long it sits there. If you want to do the Rambo pistol grip easy to do. IMO bad idea but you can do it slap a good light on it with monetary switch good to go.

#26 ·
Like some others, I would go with the 12ga.
But one gun that I would certainly take a look at is the Benelli SuperNova. After a long, long search of looking at the Rems and Mossbergs, I decided on the SuperNova. I'm not going to go into all the benefits if you aren't interested, but go to the gun shop and look at one beside the other two...you'll see the difference.
I purchased mine with ghost-ring sights, a 6-shot side-saddle, mag extension tube, pad-activated light, and a sling. I really do believe it to the superior gun. Hopefully you'll take a look for yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.