Defensive Carry banner

address change

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  divkat9 
#1 ·
I live in NC and moved to a neighboring county last year. My brother (sheriff's deputy) informed me this week that I needed to file an address change with the sheriff's dept. So today I went to do that. The lady in the office asked me when I moved, to which I replied "one year ago this month". She replied by saying "you know you can be charged for that, right?". I explained to her that I did not know that but wished to correct the situtation. She then gave me the form to fill out and told me to bring it back Monday when the clerk that handles changes would be back. Apparently she sends this information to the county I now reside in and they update their records. (side note: I still live in the same town, only the county has changed)
I guess I'm a little concerned that I had not done the correct thing earlier. I'm always a "by the book" person so when I screw up something it bothers me.
Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, especially from NC residents.

#2 ·
All Advice Now...

is 'after the fact'. You should be VERY famaliar with the rules surrounding your CCW permit. Yep, you should have known!:yup: :yup:

Stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#3 ·
Not asking for advice. I guess I posted for two reasons:
1) to get it off my chest
2) to let anyone else know that might find themselves in my position.
And your right, I should be very familiar with the rules associated with my permit. Unfortunately when I asked this question of a deputy in my resident county he didn't have the answer and when I asked the question of my brother who is a deputy in my old resident county neither one of them knew. My brother asked a Major in the department who gave the answer. I suppose I should have called the Sheriff himself, but then only one person in his office knew about the change of address form also.

#4 ·
divkat9...

I don't want to say most...not even a lot...but...
many LEO's arent famaliar with the state gun laws. Few if any can give correct info involving CCW. It is up to us to be knowledgeable...don't depend on others...read and learn!

Enjoy...

#5 · (Edited)
I don't want to say most...not even a lot...but...
many LEO's arent famaliar with the state gun laws. Few if any can give correct info involving CCW. It is up to us to be knowledgeable...don't depend on others...read and learn!

Enjoy...

Well that is certainly one lesson I learned today, I've already started reading up on the laws. ETA: (to find this requirement and as a refresher). Sure enough the requirement to notify is there.
My brother seemed to think there wouldn't be any problems, but we'll see. Might have to go to the Sheriff in the new county and eat some crow.

#6 ·
I'm Sure...

that you are not going to have a problem...unless Barney Fife works in the office. Careful, if he starts to go for his bullet in his right front pocket...you're 'doomed'.
It sounds like the deputy spoke with was pretty cool with the situation.
Good luck!

#7 ·
It is pretty standard on addy changes that they have to be done fast .. here you can be ticketed if you havent changed your addy on your drivers lic with in 30 days of moving

So i would expect ya would have to change the ccw permit aweful fast to

I didnt know about the drivers lic till i went to buy my new truck and they wouldn't let me take delivery till i had the change addy sticker on my Drivers lic lady at securtary of state told me i could have been ticketed if stopped

#8 ·
Well, let's hope Barney's not working there, this is NC afterall.
The law here states 30 days also so I'm quite a bit late. I think after the girl in the office realized I was in fact trying to rectify the situation and had not been blatantly refusing to file the form she seemed to ease up on me. Good thing she didn't summon the deputy on guard outside the door to charge me.:gah:

#9 ·
Out of interest - when I went into SO after a move four years ago - they didn't want to change my permit address, but just said that all that was required was valid address on my DL.

It can be hard to stay fully up to speed on local stuff sometimes.

#10 ·
That may be the case here, no one at the Sheriff's office has said anything about having to get a new permit. So it may just be for the records. I believe they are required to report the stats on permit holders, applicants, and denials on an annual basis.
In fact, other than the initial statement by the girl at the office, she and the others I spoken too don't seem to think it's going to be any sort of a problem. I hope it won't.

#11 ·
(side note: I still live in the same town, only the county has changed)
Your town is split between two counties? Where do they mark the county line? I have never heard of a town in two counties before. Usually county lines follow the town lines. I know of a town in both canada and the us though. I guess knowing the map is important too.

#13 ·
In VA, you have 30 days to change your DL, but the CHP is good til it expires under current law.

We have the city of Bristol, which we share with Tennessee. Also a time zone runs through the city!

#15 ·
Speaking of changing your DL address, I'd do that, too. An overzealous LEO who finds that you're carrying could arrest you for it. Granted it's not a physically-arrestable offense, but I've seen a few do it for less. We had one case of someone failing the LEO's "attitude test" and was charged with "walking on the wrong side of the road when no sidewalk is present" and then resisting arrest. Not good.

Cheers.

#16 ·
Got everything squared away. It looks like the state keeps statistics on how many permits are applied for, issued, denied, and revoked annually. That seems to be the main reason for changing the address.
Driver's license is good to go as well. And you won't catch me failing the
attitude test, too many LEOs are lifelong friends and or family. I've got too much respect for those guys that put up with all that crap going on out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.