Defensive Carry banner

Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

8K views 83 replies 42 participants last post by  lchamp 
#1 ·
My handgun permit has been suspended. Apparently, I am a fugitive from justice from my local Sheriff's department. I was arrested but never charged in 2007. Jump to 2012. Suppossedly, I failed to appear so a warrant was issued on 9/13/12. Does this sound right? I went to court back in 2007 and the charge was dissmissed. I paid to have the charge expunged back in 2007. Since my dismissal in 2007, I have passed numerous Tennessee Bureau of Investigation background checks when I purchased firearms and I have been issued a Handgun Permit. What is going on here? Are they milking me for $? I talked with the dispatcher at the SO office today and she instructed me to go to the county clerk and talk with them. I hope they don't try to get stupid and arrest me. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for your time.

#7 ·
I guess I'll get a lawyer so I can sue them for lawyer, court, and permit reinstatment fees. i wasn't going to stroll into the SO. The SO told me to go to the county clerk to clear this up. The county clerk is at the court house. They said if I have my paper work that the county clerk can rescind the warranty. Even if that happens I will still have to jump through hoops and pay $ to get the HCP reinstated.

#5 ·
Personally, I wouldn't hand a lawyer 2k to go down to the court house and sort out something I might be able to sort out myself in 30 minutes.
If you have documentation that shows everything was cleared up just take it with you.
Take somebody with you just in case!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: atctimmy and OldVet
#8 ·
Thanks. I'm not sure what to do. If i get a lawyer I gonna to play this out and sue them. I'm not paying out of pocket for all this. I may call the county clerk and see If I can fax them a copy of my paperwork (if I can find it).

#6 ·
I have NO idea of what the legal ramifications are for what your situation is but be very very sure that if you show up at a law enforcement facility and there is a warrant for your arrest you won't be leaving real quick or at least without a financial incentive being paid

Have a lawyer proceed with this, don't risk it without professional legal assistance.

#12 ·
Troll? Please tell me where the letter came from. The state of Tennessee does not send out letters stating your permit has been suspended, voided or anything else. If it is from HLS who is that home land security?
Freaking Know It Alls man... They have to notify you by letter due to the confidential nature of all crminal histories and dispositions, records may not be discussed by telephone. That's what it says at the bottom of the letter. You want me to post that too Know It all?

#16 ·
Thanks. It's going to work out. The county I live in is notorious for doing stuff like this from what I hear. They are all about the $$$. Why else would they let a failure to appear sit for 5 years before they issued a warrant? They want more money!

#18 ·
OK - Notice that his post has already been deleted. Please stay on topic without any further personal comments.
We are primarily a searchable information resource and database and not an Internet chat line.
Obviously he was wrong. Carry on.

Reactions: gasmitty
#21 ·
Bureaucracies are inherently inefficient and routinely make mistakes. It sucks you have to spend your hard earned dollars to correct someone else's mistake. On the other hand it's better for this to come out in the comfort of your own home than in a routine traffic stop or checkpoint. As you've already stated: "Its going to work out". Just take a deep breath and focus on the goal. Good luck!

#22 ·
You got a letter from HomeLand Security saying your permit was revoked? Did HLS issue you the permit? I believe it's up to the state to revoke a permit, not HLS. Something is fishy here. Check with your local PD, take a lawyer if it makes you feel better.

#23 ·
Thats what I was thinking. This is not passing the smell test.

EDIT: I was informed that the OP showed the letter. It still doesnt make sense to me that HLS would be involved.

#24 ·
I would be interested in seeing the letter. Maybe HLS notified the Sheriff's dept., and the Sheriff's dept. attached a copy of the letter from HLS?

#25 ·
"I was arrested but not charged".

If you were arrested, you WERE charged. Once you are charged, you will be given a court date to appear on your charge. If you miss said court date, they will issue a bench warrant for a FTA (fail to appear). I have no idea why it took 5 years for a warrant to be issued, which leads me to believe there is more to this.

If it were me... I would call the court clerk to confirm that a warrant was in fact issued. If so, a lawyer usually cant do squat. You will have to deal with the warrant. In most jurisdictions this means turn yourself in. Either bond out on an OR or pay a few bucks, depending on the charge, your history, etc... A lawyer will help you in court. Some jurisdictions issue a capias in which they will simply want to give you your new court date. If this is the case, good for you, but you wont know until you make the call.

This does not sound like a "money grab" to me. A warrant cant just be issued because a municipality is low on funds. If I were a gambling man I would wager that there is more to your story.

If you choose to not deal with the warrant, it will not go away. If I were in your shoes, I would deal with it as soon as possible. It at least shows responsibility that you want to get to the bottom of whatever the issue is.

Again, this is what I would do to handle the situation. Do not assume that this is advice that I am giving you. This is what I would do. You can take whatever course of action you feel is appropriate. I am not a lawyer.

#28 ·
Another member gave me some info. If he wants everyone to know who he is he can respond. I give him full credit on the find...Look at the top of the screen, oldvet....

Handgun Carry Permit General Information

#29 ·
My advice? Get a good local lawyer and talk to him. He would be the one to give you the straight information.

#32 ·
MeanAction: Hang in there and let us know how it all turns out............

Reactions: Spirit51
#33 ·
Here's what I do know about the law... If in fact you have an actual "failure to appear" warrant, there's no way you're going to go down to the police station or court house and "just take care of it" or work it out with the one visit.

What will happen is you'll be arrested for the "failure to appear" warrant. You'll be required to post a new bond, and schedule a new court date. It will be hashed out before a judge, and I can assure you, you'll have to post a bond or sit in jail waiting for your new court date.

It doesn't matter if you have all the documentation or not. Showing it the LEO's, or court clerk is not going to take care of it. You'll have to present your evidence or case before the judge who issued the warrant.

It is a judge who signed the warrant, and it is the judge who has to be satisfied the case is bogus or wasn't valid... not the LEO's or court clerk.

Now, if you go in, expecting that this is what's going to happen, and are prepared to post a new bond, and go through all the hassle of being re-arrested, and bonding out with a bail bondsman, you'll be able to go through it relatively easy. However, if you go down there expecting to tell them they are in the wrong, and they screwed up and you're in the right... I believe you'll find yourself in for a nice surprise.

#36 ·
You have not considered either that someone may be using your name. That has come up many times with CC . People apply and find out they are wanted or have some conviction they never knew of.
No madder what you do . Do not trust LEO. They are not your friend . They have no interest in justice right or wrong. They have one job and that is agenda.
They have no problem hiding the truth from you. Even if they know you have done nothing wrong a chance to grab a gun they will lock you up. Make you life a mess and when your prove not to have done wrong ..so what. And they will still make you go back to court to get your gun .
Get a lawyer never trust a LEO.
Bit harsh but just the world we live in today.

Reactions: tricolordad
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.