Defensive Carry banner

Which Choice for New AR

19K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Burns 
#1 ·
I've decided to get on of the AR variants. Three that I was looking at were the DPMS $600, Sig Sauer M400 $900, and Colt M4 $1100. Which one of these would you choose or do you have other suggestions. Also, I was wondering if on the AR variants are the parts are interchangeable or does each company have it's own design. Probably a stupid question but I'm just starting to look at these.

#2 ·
I'll preface my remarks by saying I do NOT own an AR platform yet, but I'm going to get a Colt. I carried both an M16A1 and later an M4 for my Uncle Sam and those Colts served me well. I also own two Colt 1911's so this 3-gun set,if you will, will go to my paratrooper son one day(hopefully a long time from now!-LOL)

#3 ·
What is your budget for the rifle? Probably the first question you need to answer.

#4 ·
Out of those three, with money being no object, the Colt wins hands-down. It is far more durable than either of the other two, though the SIG isn't terrible. The $600 DPMS...well at least the price is about right on it. If you just want a plinker it'll be fine; if you want something that can take some serious use, and is just as much fun out on the range for some casual shooting, the Colt is what you want. The SIG includes a commercial bolt carrier, has an odd barrel profile, and they are pretty new to making the ARs. If you're considering them, I would just cough up a little more and get the (much) better Colt rifle.

#5 ·
I'd go with the Sig or Colt. I've seen great reviews for both, and you probably have higher-quality parts in those than the DPMS. The parts are interchangeable, Colt is no longer making its uppers and lowers with weird pin sizes just 'cuz - they use the same size stuff as everybody else.

#6 ·
#7 ·
What about Windham and bushmaster. I saw them for $800 and $900. It was strange at Walmart because they have a case full of all different kinds of ARs and a big center display of bulk 223 ammo. I'm noticing though besides price theres differences in features like sights, scopes, handles, etc

#10 ·
Dont know what your budget is, but I recently picked up a Stag Arms Model 2 T. T meaning tactical, Quad rail, 40L MOA .75 Low profile Flip up site ($120.00 alone) etc. I paid about $1,000.00 If your not too concerned about the rail space, you can pick one up for about $800.00 . I'm in love with this rifle. Solid

#11 ·
Colt is the glock koolaid of the AR world.

My AR is a Frankenstein of sorts with parts from half a dozen manufacturers, that being said the important ones (bolt and bolt carrier group are Colt and barrel is Daniel defense) are from reputable companies.

Look in to Daniel defense or bravo company machine (BCM) as well, very high quality parts and guns.

Also, the more magpul the better in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

#12 ·
There's BCM and PSA for about the same price point as the Sig, and much better quality. Troy Industries kicked one out this year (can be found at Dick's Sporting Goods) for $1000ish - a pretty sweet deal given all it comes with, and all reports thus far seem to be very positive (although the two that I molested had excessive play in the integrated front flip up sight).

If your goal is a rifle to only run 500 rounds a year through at the range and nothing more, then you would be fine with the other brands or rifles under the $700 value (Bushmaster, CMMG, DPMS...), though I would still recommend paying the $$$ and getting a high end rifle. Holds the value better, and reliable if you choose to put it to more work. Refer to the sticky on M4 comparison chart to see what you are really getting.

#13 ·
Take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport, it's a very good mid tier AR and you could use the money you save to trick it out and buy ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
#18 ·
You might want to also check out the RRA Tactical Operator 2,,, Shoots everything I feed it,,,trigger is unbelievable,,,Check out some of the reviews as there are quite a few of them on youtube...Good luck..I researched for about 6 months on all forums, reviews etc....Spoke with guys at the lgs..for about a grand this is one sweet rifle

#20 ·
Colt is almost a status symbol (like owning a Harley). Nothing wrong, they are the top dog, and at a good price.

RRA (Rock River Arms) - medium to low end - money better spent elsewhere. RA (Ranier Arms) upper end.

Reactions: munch520
#21 ·
Colt is almost a status symbol (like owning a Harley). Nothing wrong, they are the top dog, and at a good price.

I would not go that far, Colt's are OK and a good journeyman's rifle, and at the prices I see for it a decent value. I see three price tiers, $1000 and under, $1000 to $2000 and $2000 and up. Its all what you want to spend. Colt is probably the best of the lower priced models, but then move up to Ranier, DD and then one more level to Noveske and LaRue.

#24 ·
Thanks for the correction Padre. Good point.

#25 ·
To the OP: All AR-15's are "based" off either the M16 or M4 platform, and all of them have roughly 100% parts commonality within the M16 or M4 subcategory. The reason folks keep talking about the Colt LE6920 is because that is the standard by which all others get measured, that is not to say it is the absolute best, but it's the standard. You may also have heard the term "milspec", that is tossed around to describe the quality of the parts used, particularly the bolt carrier group and barrel. By quality I mean the steel they are made off, testing methods, and many other particulars. What you need to read is the "Chart", which is an AR guide about what to look for and what popular companies put in their AR's, it can be found on M4carbine.net. Just google search some keywords.

Popular brands that generally meet the basic standards are:
Colt, BCM, Spikes, DD, Stag, Olympic (I believe they do), PSA, LMT, and others. The little I have heard about Windham Weaponry suggests they are pretty good as well, better than their old owner Bushmaster.

I am by no means an expert at all, but a relatively short time ago I went through the same process of figuring out what the heck everyone was talking about when AR's were being discussed. I currently have a LE6920, and love it.

#26 ·
I'm in the market also and have looked at several different brands and trying to learn more about the guns, configurations, lots of options makes my head spin. I'm leaning toward the M&P but may slide toward the Colt, but still open to more research. Just not ready to make the move yet. What is the side push button behind the bolt on the AR?

#27 ·
Forward assist to help seat a round if needed. I have never had to use it yet.

#28 ·
#29 · (Edited)
There is so much disinformation in this thread it's ridiculous.

Colt = Top shelf. The Colt 6920 is exactly the same as the weapon our soldiers carry over seas, except for the semi auto trigger group and a slightly longer barrel. All other makers just copy the methods and the testing in order to measure up to the Colt standard.

@ the guy who said the M&P Sport was a mid tier AR: It is not. The Sport is absolutely 100% a bare bones, bottom rung entry level AR. With that said it is a very good AR in it's price range. It's better than DPMS and others at the bottom. For the weekend plinker it would be the "cheap" gun I would recommend. What it is not, is a mid or upper tier AR.

The truth of the matter is this: If you are in the $800ish price range then you can certainly squeeze a few pennies and get a Colt at around $1000. The other VERY good player at the $1000 price point is BCM. I've owned two BCMs and one S&W M&P15 and my brother has had a Colt for years so I have lots of personal experience with these rifles. So when I say Colt and BCM I'm not just repeating what I've read.

If $800 was my absolute max and I didn't have another penny, I would go with a PSA at $750. PSA is making a solid, well specced rifle at a super price. Is it a Colt? No, but it's pretty dang close. IMO PSA is the best value in AR15s at this time. Nobody comes close.

#30 ·
There is so much disinformation in this thread it's ridiculous.

Colt = Top shelf. The Colt 6920 is exactly the same as the weapon our soldiers carry over seas, except for the semi auto trigger group and a slightly longer barrel. All other makers just copy the methods and the testing in order to measure up to the Colt standard.

@ the guy who said the M&P Sport was a mid tier AR: It is not. The Sport is absolutely 100% a bare bones, bottom ring entry level AR. With that said it is a very good AR in it's price range. It's better than DPMS and others at the bottom. For the weekend plinker it would be the "cheap" gun I would recommend. What it is not, is a mid or upper tier AR.

The truth of the matter is this: If you are in the $800ish price range then you can certainly squeeze a few pennies and get a Colt at around $1000. The other VERY good player at the $1000 price point is BCM. I've owned two BCMs and one S&W M&P15 and my brother has had a Colt for years so I have lots of personal experience with these rifles. So when I say Colt and BCM I'm not just repeating what I've read.

If $800 was my absolute max and I didn't have another penny, I would go with a PSA at $750. PSA is making a solid, well specced rifle at a super price. Is it a Colt? No, but it's pretty dang close. IMO PSA is the best value in AR15s at this time. Nobody comes close.
I agree with most of this. One could argue that Colt is simply copying Armalite, where the AR was invented. Also, just because Ford pretty much invented the modern auto assembly line, folks who copied it have done pretty well by the car. I don't think anyone here would agree that a Ford Focus > Porsche or Ferrari.

However, at the price point, Colt is hard to beat. I found in my search that Mil-spec is a fantastic place to start, but it isn't everything. Those specs are arrived at due to the unique uses of the military. Other users may be better served by other spec'd items.

I went with a build for my first AR. It is a PSA lower with RRA lpk, Hogue grip and Ace Skeleton stock. It has an Aero Precision upper receiver (Aero also makes the PSA lower), YHM rifle-length rail guard and YHM lo-pro gas block. The barrel is a 16" SS Centurion with RRA chrome BCG. It's capped off by an A2 flash suppressor that I'm thinking of changing out to a YHM Annihilator Flash Hider. This is quite a bit of rifle for the $1,000 price point. And while it is all pretty much mil-spec (except for the SS barrel, which is pretty fine in its own right), the mixture of parts allowed me to get what I wanted without having to spend the same amount or more on something that wasn't quite right.

#31 ·
Every newcomer to the AR world should read this before dropping coin on any old EBR:

Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!

ETA: the forward assist can be used to press the bolt back into battery, after a press check.

What's that old saying that permeates the virtual universe? Oh yeah, 'better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.'

Reactions: atctimmy
#33 ·
To the OP - if you have not made your decision yet, PSA has their Patrol Rifle on sale for $999.00. Comes with an Aimpoint PRO. Smokin' deal. I may pick one up to part out for my DMR buil...er...Assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.