Defensive Carry banner

Hollow point feed issue with LCP

18K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  th0rr 
#1 ·
Whenever I rack the first round it catches and sticks as it feeds into the barrel. If I operate the slide again it will feed in correctly. Has anyone else have this happen with their LCP? While firing it feeds fine with no issue. It's always with just the first round when chambering it. Kinda curious.

#5 ·
I've had a couple of LCP's, and still currently own one. Of the small compact .380's they're one of the best, but they're still very small tight guns that tend to have quirks. When you rack the slide are you easing it into battery, or slamming home? Have you tried different HP ammo and seen if that makes a difference? Last but not least, a quick 5 minute fluff and buff might make a difference in giving the nose of that bullet an easier path. Just some thoughts, it may be that a few more rounds down range will do the trick too.

#8 ·
Never had any feeding problems with mine.

#9 ·
My buddies LCP wont feed HPs, at all. My p3at will. He has tried springs and it has been back to ruger. Works fine for FMJ

#11 ·
That might be it. The gun is relatively new as I just recently acquired my CHL. After this weekend there have been about a hundred rounds through it. I'll field strip it and give it a good cleaning and see how it goes. Just out of curiosity Smitty901 why would you not carry HP's in a 380?

#12 ·
+1 the fluff and buff. I have over 200 rounds through mine, and had some issues with Hornady Critical Defense but never Federal Hydra-Shoks (go figger...). I polished the feed ramp and haven't had the problem since, but decided to stay with the HS due to comfort level and some research. Try some different ammo, might I suggest the ElsiePea Forum for more info than you will ever need?

#14 ·
I had a similar problem with my P-238. With the slide back on the slide release lever for the first round (typical when putting in a new clip), when I released the slide the HP or critical defense would dive into the ramp while FMJ and PowRBall worked fine. A couple hundred rounds and polishing the ramp cured the problem. It will now eat JHP, PowRball, Critical defense and FMJ. I have even tried a couple magazines of all four types and it works fine now.

#16 ·
I had that problem with Remington UMC 88gr JHP, first round would hang up on the ramp every so often. Only bought that ammo because it was all Walmart had in stock at the time and I wanted to go shooting. No problems with Winchester PDX hollow points. Did have a WWB 95gr flat point round hang up on the first round once. Might polish the feed ramp if I ever have it happen again.

#17 ·
I bought a used LCP a while ago and it had problems feeding every 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. I put about 70 - 80 rounds of mixed ammo through it with the same results.

Eventually called ruger, sent it in and they replaced the barrel, been flawless since.
I would bet yours just needs a little break in, but ruger will make it right if not.

#20 ·
I have had an LCP for over a year now with no problems with Hornady Critial Defense rounds. But like many have said (after breakin) Ruger has very, very good CS. Also look at the LCP forum and ask questions there. Very helpful in the past for me. They are at Ruger Pistol Forums - Elsie Pea Forum

#21 ·
Smaller guns do tend to be more problematic with ammo. A friend sent his Ruger .380 in several times and always had failure to feed issues. The problem didn't seem to be the gun as much as the ammo. He too went to the Hornady Critical Defense and shot 2 boxes off without one feed issue. He only uses that now and calls it good knowing he has a quality round that works in his .380

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

#22 ·
When I bought my LCP I also picked up some Speer Gold Dot JHP. On 2 magazines it failed to feed the 4th round (or after the 4th - I can't recall). I went ahead and fired off about 120 rounds of WWB to break it in, which in hindsight is what I should have started with in the first place... :embarassed:

A guy at the range suggested Hornaday Critical Defense due to the more pointed nose of the HP. Said it might feed a little better. Haven't tried that yet, nor have I gone back and tried the rest of the Gold Dot. I have about 200 rounds and it's been cleaned and lubed a few times. I haven't messed with the feed ramp (yet?).

As has been mentioned, I will probably stick with the FMJ now that it's getting cooler out. Between now and sprng I plan to experiment with more JHP just to see what feeds well in this one.

I really like the LCP. A friend who fired it is looking to pick one up as well.

#23 ·
If a break in doesn't work, a feed ramp polish and spring tweak is simple. The LCP isn't immune to the smiley problem similar to the P380. Also consider a magazine issue. If the ammunition is a factor, try the Gold Saber. It has a very rounded profile and a hard jacket, but still performs well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.