Defensive Carry banner

Oct. 1st in Florida

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  timothius 
#1 ·
That's right, it's Oct. 1, and starting today we can now legally carry in National Forests! (with CCW, anytime, not just hunting season)

So...I hit the range, which is in the National Forest here in Tallahassee, then did some 4-wheeling in my Jeep, all while gleefully packing.

I'll now feel much better when I take my kid out wheeling and we're "way" out there in the forest.

#2 ·
Today's the Day...

Today's the day...I love Florida!:yup: :yup: :yup:

ret

#5 ·
Uhhh, don't you mean we can now carry in state parks and state forests? The last thing I read said that the state had asked the national parks and forest supervisors to re-visit their rules but had no authority to force change there.

#10 ·
ElCruiser...

I believe that you are correct...still need to search it out.
I was just in a State Park today...wanted to do a short visit...but they said no...gotta buy the sticker. Well, we were on our way home, so we didn't go in. I did ask the park ranger about CCW in the park, but he was uninformed. He did tell me though...honest...

"Well sir, I don't know much about the CCW laws, I don't think you can carry in the park, but let me tell you. Probably, 85-90% of the campers here will have some 'protection' in their campers (wink). In fact, I carry all the time without a permit...it's my constitutional right you know! It should be concealed anyway so no one can see it! Have a nice day!"

I had two impressions...one, he didn't know the law, and two, he didn't care either, he wasn't going to hastle anyone...

Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...:yup:

Stay safe...

ret:urla9ub:

#9 ·
congrats folks !!! :biggrin2: :congrats:

:banana: Hopefully Georgia will follow next !.......

#11 ·
From the NRA-ILA website:

(5) HB-1029 Firearms in National Forests & State Parks

A bill to restore the right to possess firearms for self-defense and other lawful purposes while in National Forests and State Parks in Florida. Passed the Florida Legislature 5/2/06.

HB-1029 Sponsored by Representative Dennis Baxley (R-Ocala) in the House and Senator Bill Posey (R-Rockledge) in the Senate does the following:

1. Repeals the law that bans firearms in National Forests in Florida (s. 790.11, 790.12, 790.14)

2. Directs the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to repeal its rule that bans firearms in State Parks (rule 62D-2.014(10).

3. Requires that all other applicable firearms laws be followed.

4. Requires that a new rule be formulated by DEP that allows firearms in state parks and stipulates that firearms shall at all times be in the possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicle or temporary housing, which shall include motor homes, travel trailers, recreational vehicles, campers, tents, or other enclosed structures, while in state parks.

The law being repealed is obsolete. There are public shooting ranges in Florida's National Forests. FWC officers teach the firearms portion of Hunter Safety courses at these ranges and have been very concerned about violating this obsolete law. Further, there homes in National Forests and the old law violates their firearms rights. The DEP regulation that prohibits firearms in state parks VIOLATES state law (790.33)

The bill passed the House 90-27 and passed the Senate 31-6. Signed into law by Governor Bush on 6/7/06.

#13 ·
I also carry in National Forests (my cabin is in one) and go to our neighborhood shooting range (about 150 yards from the back door). In Minnesota, you have always been able to carry in National Forests and in the last year State parks.

Congrats to all the FL CC members! :danceban:

#14 ·
Thanks Gimpy. I always want to see it in writing. The years have left me cynical for some reason. Do you know if DEP has indeed made the rule change?

#15 ·
ElCruisr,
I don't know whether DEP has gotten around to making a rule change yet. However, I did find a little more info on HB1029 at Attorney Jon H. Gutmacher's website. He has posted a September 18, 2006 update to his book, Florida Firearms - Law, Use & Ownership - 6th edition. The update reads:
HB1029 amended F.S. 790.11 such that beginning October 1, 2006, it is not illegal to have a firearm in a state park “when in compliance with all applicable Florida statutes”. I assume that means you are lawfully fishing, hunting, or camping (F.S. 790.25) – but it may also include CWP holders with a concealed weapon, or anyone not otherwise prohibited with firearms secured from theft in some reasonable manner when inside a vehicle or temporary housing. We’ll have to wait and see what regulations the agencies in charge adopt to understand the extent of this law due to its lack of clarity. The law also permits carry in national forests – but that has no legal force as federal law still controls there, and you still must obey federal park/forest rules – which generally prohibit firearms except for legal hunting.

Given his interpretation of HB1029, it might be prudent for anyone planning to carry in a state park, or national forest to check with the agencies that control them before assuming the new law completely eliminated all restrictions.

#20 ·
The way it was explained to me (not by a lawyer), was that the new law lifted the state's ban, and that the federal dept that oversees the national forests doesn't prohibit firearms, it simply allows each individual state to regulate them.

State Parks I would think wouldn't be a federal matter. But then again I know little in the ways that government seems to work!

Either way, I guess it's not as cut and dry as it was presented to me. Looks like further research is in order.

#21 ·
I can see the possibility of encountering a long learning curve on the part of Florida State Park managers when it comes to the new law. One of my other hobbies (not as expensive as shooting) is geocaching. Earlier this year I wanted to hide a couple of geocaches in a state park close to me. Florida requires that permission be obtained from the park manager prior to placing geocaches within the park. I was surprised to learn that the park manager and his staff were all ignorant of the Florida requirement. They weren't even sure what a geocache was. This put me into a situation of either just dropping the idea of placing a cache there, or embarking on a quest to educate the manager and his staff. Since I am sometimes a glutton for punishment, I chose the latter. After two weeks of letter writing and three visits to the park office, I finally received a letter from the park manager thanking me for bringing the subject to his attention, and his complete approval for placing my geocaches. Now he and some of his staff members have developed an interest in geocaching and have even planned an event at the park next month to host other state employees on a geocaching hunt in the park. I just hope that H.B 1029 that Jeb Bush signed into law last June and went into effect Oct 1st gets more attention from state park managers than did the provision for geocaches that was promulgated to them two years before I approached them for permission. Time will tell.

#24 ·
We can carry concealed in National Forest's here in NM but must be careful entering a building in the Forest because the buildings are actually Government property. we cannot carry concealed in State Parks. NM is an open carry state, but I have not tried to carry openly in a State Park yet. I live by a huge National Forest and it makes no sense to go to the local State Parks and pay a fee.

However, It makes no sense to me to try and carry concealed in an area where you are probably wearing several layers of gear that would prohibit fast access to a concealed weapon. Almost everyone I meet out on the trail in the Forest is packing and openly packing. The protection is from both animals and human if the distinction can be made.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.