Defensive Carry banner

Exploring My Options

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Eagleks 
#1 ·
I currently just have a LCP. It is a good gun and I have not had any issues with it so far after putting about 400 rounds through it. After carrying the gun the past 2 months and shooting it during that time, I realized I want something a little bigger both caliber wise and in physical size. Lately, I've been researching a lot of 9mm single stack semi-autos and that is what I'm going to want to get for my next gun. Now the question is, which SS 9mm to get?

The LC9 is at the top of my list right now mainly because of how much I like the LCP. I have also taken a look at the S&W Shield 9 and the Kahr CW9. The range that I go to has a good selection of guns to rent and I know the LC9 is on the list. I might also have to consider renting a Glock 26 and Ruger SR9c.

Any feedback about my list would be appreciated!

#2 ·
You are lucky to have rentals at your disposal. Use that source. The market is flooded with very good firearms that fit what you are looking for including the ones you've listed. Be patient and enjoy the search.

#3 ·
well, I'll just muddy up the waters for ya some more. I would include the Kahr CM9 in your search, too. 7 rounds of 9mm in such a small package is tough to beat. Sweet little gun after you break it in
properly and become accustomed to its long, smooth revolver like trigger. If you pocket carry, the CM9 is do-able. CW9 is probably too big for the pocket. Both are reliable and accurate enough for social work intended. My EDC is a Glock 26. Best concealed carry weapon on the planet IMO. The SR9C is a great pistol.....except: Loaded chamber indicator, manual safety that snags on EVERYTHING, and magazine disconnect. These things may be no big deal to you, but they make me crazy. My SR9C is going to my daughter when she turns 21. I have a couple of Keltec PF-9's that have been perfect for me so far, so no reason to look at the LC9 which is just Rugers copy of the Keltec. The Shield would be an excellent choice, too.....but I think there are better options available until the lofty prices of the Shield come back down to earth. My Bersa BP 9CC smokes the Shield in about every category, and is one of my most often carried single stacks....and about $100 less than the Shield. BP9CC also has a mag disconnect, but I don't seem to mind with a gun I like.

CM9 vs LCP

CW9 and CM9

Bersa BP 9CC and Kahr CW9

#8 ·
I wasn't entirely comfortable with the 6 round mag but with the 7 round mag the grip has a totally different feel...I am much more comfortable with the little grip extender. It didn't take me long at all to get comfortable with the SAO.

Reactions: sioux565
#6 ·
The view from an old curmudgeon...

I continue to be amused that so many folks nowadays start with small guns, then move up in size and caliber. A generation ago, most of us started out with big guns, then sought out progressively smaller pieces. More than anything else, I think this illustrates both the expansion of right-to-carry laws, and the move of the gun makers to fill the "popular" maket niche.

#7 ·
I see your point. While I am young and very new to the gun market, it was clear as day when I was shopping for my first gun that the LCP was recommended much more than say the SR9 or a Glock or another gun that was bigger in both physical size and caliber. I like a smaller gun for the sake of concealment and that is why I hope to stay with a single stack gun. I have tried carrying a full size gun before. Last week I carried my dad's Glock 22 around the house for an hour in his CB super tuck and I could not wait to take the thing off! If felt like a brick was wedged between my pants. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with being so used to carrying my LCP, but it was very uncomfortable and that makes me leery of carrying a G26.

If I have to wait a few months to make up my mind, I am fine with that. My LCP has treated me great to date. Heck, if I can't find a 9mm that I like, I'll just stick with my LCP and might carry around an extra mag with it.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.