Defensive Carry banner

For those in urban areas, where do you practice more involved drills?

788 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Scramble4a5 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in the unfortunate situation where I live in a somewhat urban area and all nearby ranges have relatively strict rules as to how guns can be used (no holster drills, no moving drills etc). I've thought about driving out every now and then to the woods to practice, but the weather here during 70% of the year is pretty terrible.

Anybody else in a similar situation? What do you usually do to practice more involved drills that aren't permitted by most ranges?

#2 ·
In my basement. It's not optimal but short of driving 2+ hours to a range that "gets it" it is what I am left with atm. Obiously these are not live fire exercises with my 9mm.

#3 ·
Yep, same here. Got a cheap CO2 bb gun pistol and set up a little make shift range in the basement.

Can practice a whole lot more than just punching holes in paper. I have yet to figure out where around me I could do this with live rounds.

#4 ·
Check to see if there are any National Forest ranges in your area. I have one that is about 50 miles away, not close but not too far either. There is a separate pistol range, you can practice your draw, etc. to your heart's content. They are usually nice, well maintained facilities and are FREE to use.

#5 ·
I just moved to Or and I know that weather can cause a pain but this is the weather we are going to live with. Now just a suggestion go out and shoot in the rain and the cold because my old chief told me one time you may have to use your weapon no matter what kind of weather it is. if you carry it might be good to get some practice in not the best of conditions and see how much difference in getting to you weapon and will it effect your grip, sight pic and so on if the need should ever come up and I hope it never does

#6 ·
I trade instruction time with a couple of local PDs (I was a CQB instructor) so when on the PD ranges, and after a full safety rundown with the Range Master, we do pretty much whatever we want.

The barter system works well. They often throw in all the ammo as the trade also (small arms and 12 G).

Be polite. Hide your 'big stick'. Never confuse politness with weakness! That last one will get you in trouble real quick if you are not situationally aware.

#7 ·
Great question and a real issue for those of us in urban areas. I practice in my basement with snap caps and if no one is home run through a drill of waking in the middle of the night, getting my 9mm from the gun cabinet near my bed, and positioning myself at my "funnel" at the top of our stairs. Not ideal but it may help when the time comes it if ever does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.