Defensive Carry banner

Ruger 10/22 with BX-25 as a defensive rifle

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  G-man* 
#1 · (Edited)
I currently own one BX-25. It is great. I've owned other high capacity mags for rugers and immediately if not shortly after they start to fail. Ruger got the BX-25 right. Plan on buying more, as it makes plinking a joy.

Do you think a Ruger 10/22 with BX-25 could be effective as a defensive rifle. Certainly not suggesting this would be the next battle rifle for a modern army. Just talking home defense. I can get 25 hollow point rounds of .22 LR to hit a target the size of a tea cup in 20 to 30 seconds at 50 or so feet easy. No kick, can hit multiple targets, easy to transition. Could effectively provide cover fire.

I'm not as experienced as others on this forum when it comes to real world (or fo that matter tactical practice). Would like to hear some thoughts.

#3 ·
Would it be my first choice? No. Could it be pressed into service in pinch? Oh yeah... Lead (accompanied by a nice little visible flash and audible bang) coming anywhere near your general vicinity generally tends to make people rethink their current course of action.

#4 ·
Good luck finding BX-25 magazines:smile:. On the topic of could it be an effective defensive tool? Absolutely. First, no criminal wants to get shot, and secondly, 25 rounds of .22 placed on target in about 6 seconds would be a deterrent in my opinion. Be sure and tape a second BS-25 mag to the inserted one for a quick reload.

#5 ·
I agree with Rollo. Not my first choice. But I'd be more than happy with a 10/22 with a good magazine. You can easily put 10 rounds on target very quickly. 10 rounds center mass with ANY caliber is going to at the very least, make your targets day very unpleasant.

I keep my 10/22 ready, but not as a primary weapon. More so to throw to a loved one if needed. I even had a TLR-1 on it until I gave it to my father for his G19. Now my 10/22 is light-less. Not to worry, three other long guns have lights. Off Topic: I kinda want a Marlin 336 with an Aimpoint and a light ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.