Defensive Carry banner

Some parents impose (toy) gun control

1K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  JetGirl 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Myself and how many millions of others grew up playing cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers with toy guns yet few if any have gone on a shooting rampage. Throwing away and vilifying toy guns is just another means to create even more anti-gunners.

#5 ·
It's funny, since I plan on teaching my kids (4 and 2) how to shoot when they are old enough, I really don't want them playing 'toy' guns. At this age I want them to always afford guns or anything gun-like the proper respect. Once they're maybe 8+ I could see being OK with it.

#6 ·
I think toy guns are a good idea, and a good place to start teaching proper handling. :yup:

#9 ·
You know. This reminds me of something I have recently seen and pondered. Certain air soft rifles modeld after ARs are being advertised as only having 14'' barrels. If I am not mistaken, should that not be registered as an SBR? I am pretty damn sure that anything under 16'' in length is consider to be as such. Not to mention that the resivors on those things hold WAY more rounds than anyone should need for hunting purposes. (Sacasm off)

#10 ·
What a shame it is for some parents to miss out on yet another way to teach safety with firearms.
The little 5 year old across the street already has his first 'Red Ryder' bb gun. His grandpa, uncle, and I all teach him about gun safety.
He just doesn't get to play with it as he chooses, but is taught both the fun and importance of good gun handling.

Reactions: Darrow75
#11 ·
You know what happened when we didn't have a toy guns to play with when we were kids?

That's right, we stuck our index fingers straight out in front of us and pointed our thumbs straight up towards the sky and whala! We had guns...imagine that.

And if you used both your hands and could master the sound effects, you could imagine your very own machine gun.

And the cardboard rolls from wrapping paper made excellent bazookas...place it on the ground and you had a mortar launcher...now those things were devastating...you could blow up a dozen of your friends with one well placed shot...the carnage was unbelievable.

Then we would go home and have dinner with our families and talk about what we did all day and when tomorrow came we would pretend to kill each other all over again.

Those were the good old days.

#13 ·
I had this conversation with a local chap in his 60s, and he concurred. In acknowledging the role of violent gaming in today's society, he pointed out this he played with toy guns as a child without ill effects, but his wife wouldn't allow his son to play with them; but the violent games were OK. Now that is boy is in his 30s, Dad is unsure of the effects that gaming has had on his boy. This from a society that doesn't allow even adults to have guns at home, and LE officers do not carry off-duty (must leave all their weaponry at the PD in its locker).

#12 ·
I by no means believe in taking them away, but I do agree toy guns is a way to teach proper handling. My son (who is 3.5) just recieved his first nerf gun from my brother for Christmas. We won't let him have it until we get some sort of target for him to shoot it at. Y'all might think I'm crazy, but I'm not takin them away from him, I'm just doin what I can to insure proper upbringing with guns like I was.

#14 ·
It amazing that some people believe their personal actions are so important that they must run to the news media for their 5 minutes of fame.

#18 ·
I guess all we can do is hope we raised our children right.

Can't do all Christmas at once. Like most extended families -- we need to spread our time. We're going to Son #1 for Christmas this weekend. Grandson #1 got a beautiful engraved Italian shotgun (luckily my son bought the gun and I bought the accessories!!!). The "shotgun grandson" has a 4 year old little brother. He is well versed in safety. Just needs a few more language skills -- he called his Christmas crossbow an "arrow gun". If I was posting on any other forum I'd have to write another 5 sentences on my son taking care of safety training.

I know -- time to get my son to buy me a Christmas present.

#19 ·
My little guys are almost ready for toy guns. When they are a little bigger they can have them but will not be allowed to shoot each other. They may shoot targets and stuffed animals. Too many kids get a hold of guns and think they are toys. Especially now that polymer guns are so popular. The first polymer revolver i picked up felt like a toy.

I know my guns are safe but i know others that keep guns out "hidden" around the house. Kids can find them and hopefully will realise they are real. I plan to teach both my little guys proper handling from day 1.

#20 ·
We had a kid in our neighborhood who was not allowed to have or touch even a toy gun. Well, when he was out of mama's sight, we let him use ours. If we did not have a spare, well there were always sticks laying around that could double as a gun. He is now a responsible gun owner with a CHL and his mom in apoplectic. We are in our mid 50s now.

#21 ·
Some people are just a "hard sell", but don't count them out.

I grew up where guns were dad's tools and not to be touched. No such thing as plinking for fun...just hunting or dispatching. There were always two loaded long guns (a rifle and a shotgun) on a rack near the front door.
Dad also had a handgun that traveled with us whenever we went on long trips or vacation.
When we had extended family visiting us one time, my uncle offered to buy that handgun. Dad brought the box out and was giving the whole speech about "treating every gun like it was loaded".
Too bad he didn't take his own advice because **BANG**...right between my cousin and I. Flipped my hair. Made my ears ring so bad, I think part of my tinnitus today is due to that...
And thus was born an "anti". Eight year old me.

When I grew up, got married, and had a kid...I was the most rabid anti mom you could probably find.
No toy guns in my house. No playing with toy guns at anybody else's house. No shooting arcade games. Etc.

All that ^ to say this;

Somewhere along the line, gentle persuasion and trusted friend coaxed me into actually considering guns were not the evil... PEOPLE were the evil.

Fast Forward = Today; My whole family shoots and owns guns (even the kid I initially denied access)...
I have introduced several new shooters, taught safety classes, and even converted an anti or three, myself.

I think having the ability to say "I was there... I get it..." helps get a foot in the door of a closed mind.
Don't give up on these people. Persuade them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.