Defensive Carry banner

Thinking about a light for my G17 G4

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  guitarzNgunz 
#1 ·
Used mainly for range and home defense. I currently have a separate flashlight... What light should I buy? Is strobe light functionality worth it?

I am just a regular Joe (no military or LE training just fun range time). Weapon could potentially be used by wife/daughter who don't care about guns.

Advice is appreciated.

#4 ·
There will always be controversy regarding WML. Either you like them or you don't, I do.

J&G sales has police turn in M-3 lights for $49 I believe which will fill your needs. I have several. I also have the M6 model with the added laser which while I leave it engaged it is not really needed.

#7 ·
The Streamlight (TLR-1 or TLR-3 maybe?) series of lights will serve you well I think. I have a number of their lights and have found them to work very well. Surefire's have a great reputation as well, but they also cost much more.

#8 ·
I have been pondering whether to mount one of these lights on my AR15..... What do you think.......
Atmosphere Grass Stock photography Photography Space

Reactions: Ghost1958
#9 ·
If I am in my house and there is a bump in the night, I know where I am and where everything is and there is always enough ambient light for me to see enough to know enough. The BG does not know my house and does not know where everything is and surely does not know where I am before I make a decision, if I even will, to somehow investigate/confront. In this scenario, a light on my firearm is telling the BG where I am and I am losing one of my prime advantages over him. I just do not understand what the light is suppose to be for under the above scenario. It is one thing if you are in a large open area that is darkened beyond your ability to see and then I can understand, but if the firearm is for home defense, it just makes no real sense--at least to me. Hey--to each his own.

#10 ·
if the firearm is for home defense, it just makes no real sense--at least to me. Hey--to each his own.
So you think shooting at an unidentified target is a good idea? Remember the laws of gun safety? What happened to "be sure of your target and whats behind it?"

Adding a light to your weapon doesn't take away from your ability to know and move through your house. You don't have to turn it on and walk around giving your position away. Once you cross paths with the intruder you hit them with the light, then make the decision to use deadly force from there.

Hit them with a light, see a threat, shoot. That quick, that easy. You still maintain the edge and know for sure what you are engaging. You will also be better able to deliver accurate fire to stop the threat.

Hit the intruder with a light and see a drunk college girl that accidentally walked into the wrong house, start at a lower force level and work up as needed. Potentially save yourself from taking the life of a person that meant you no harm.

See what I'm getting at? Just because you have the ability to use deadly force on any person that enters your house without your consent doesn't mean it is always the first thing you should do. A light gives you another advantage, another tool. I see no reason to go without one on a home defense weapon.

#13 ·
I have a Streamlight TLR2 (light laser combo) to mount on the rail of my FNP40 for home defense.

#15 ·
I've gone back and forth on the weapon light on a pistol. After doing a little testing each way I decided I preferred my light source unattached. It allows me more light manipulation (instant on, strobe, lighting a direction that I don't necessarily want to point my pistol at) and it also offers me the ability to have my light source not clearly indicate my exact position (I can hold my light with my off hand extended away from my body).

I'm not sure how much of any of that actually would matter because I have, thankfully, never been in a position where I actually got into an armed confrontation at night, but I do practice some that way, so I'm fairly confident that it'll work if I need it to.

Now I do keep a light mounted on my shotgun, but obviously that's a different animal altogether.

#17 ·
I've got a TLR1-s on my G17. I'm pretty happy with the purchase, it is pretty dang bright indoors and only $100. From the research I've done it seems the reliability is pretty good, maybe not surefire good, but pretty dang good. I haven't had any issues with mine although it hasn't seen any rough handling.

-Clay

#18 ·
I have the S&W Micro 90 they are inexpensive and work great, they hold up to a lot of abuse and they are very small. On sale for $58.95 right now. And you get a free key light!
Smith & Wesson Micro90 Compact Weapon Light

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.