Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Folks! New to Conceal Carry...

1K views 32 replies 33 participants last post by  slugger6 
#1 ·
Well, I've completed the process here in Durham, NC for obtaining my Conceal Carry Permit.
Day 93 and still waiting. Don't understand why. Called multiple times and receive a recorded voice to leave a message to which I have left multiple messages.

For CC, I have purchased a S&W Shield 9MM and a Raven Concealment Holster. Bought some Gold Dot ammo yesterday.

I do have a question though. I'm trying to understand the reliability of magazines. More specifically, how long can ammo stay in the magazine before one has to begin worrying about spring malfunction? At times, I may not get to the range as often as I'd like so I'm curious.

Thanks for your thoughts. :scratchchin:

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

#2 ·
Welcome from South Carolina...

Don't worry about how long the ammo is in the magazine...Unless you go into hibernation for years at a time, believe me, it will go bang when needed!
BUT, in my opinion, if and when you purchase additional magazines, always get mags from your gun manufacturer...i.e. Glock mags not aftermarket mags, etc..

#13 ·
I am not sure how long it will be before a magazine has a spring malfunction due to non use, but if you practice once or twice a month ( like I do ) I don't believe you will have a problem. Of cause after a couple of years you may wear the magazine out.

:danceban:

#14 ·
Hi from central FL!

The delay in getting your license is probably due to the increased number of applicants, at least here in my state it's been climbing for awhile. More people applying slows down the process.

I'd read somewhere that putting one round less than your mag holds is better for the spring, but I think that's outdated and I don't follow it. I agree with firstsgt, I wouldn't worry about it, especially with brand mags

#15 ·
Welcome from Arkansas! I had a good local policeman friend that went through the Glock tech classes tell me that it is good to unload every few months and let them alone for a few hours and then reload. He said that was a recommendation from the Glock techs themselves. But I agree everyone else. We are on day 25 on our wait. The office said that they had been flooded since after the election...and that we need not call until after 120 days in Arkansas...:-(

#17 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you receive your CC license soon. As far as the magazines go, you will hear a lot of opinions on what wears them out. I have yet to see any evidence of my mags wearing out on my Glock or Ruger after plenty of shooting and loading/unloading. I say just don't worry about it!

#19 ·
I know people say you can leave ammo in a mag forever. I was told by my instructor for my CCL to switch mag's each month soooo that is what I have been doing be it right or wrong. IMHO.

Oh yeah Welcome!

#25 ·
Hello, ChuckP, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Since you are new to this handgun, self defense arena, consider taking some good self defense classes. I also recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor in handgun use and self defense, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructional information from an expert, and free.

Also, this is a very good technical study of self defense ammo:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.