Defensive Carry banner

Kahr K9 / MK9 for CCW

7K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  grouse 
#1 ·
Hi all, first post here.

I'm seriously considering either a Kahr K9 or MK9 for my carry weapon. I am a little concerned that there is no manual safety on it. It seems incredibly dangerous to me to have a gun with no safety, especially when carrying it IWB. However, a lot of people do it. Is there something that I'm missing that should make me less concerned?

#4 ·
I'm a Glock lover, but that MK9 sure is a fine looking pistola.:yup::hand9:

#5 ·
It's absolutely and completely safe. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, safety or not.

The kahr in particular has a long double action pull. It's a very safe gun. I'm a big Kahr fan. Become comfortable with it. It's a great pistol.

If you are new to carrying, it may feel weird to you. Rest assured, the vast majority of us do not have manual safeties. You're in good, safe company.

#7 ·
Kahr's most definitely have a safety. It's called your finger. Keep it off the trigger and it wont fire. I used to think a lot like you. I would not consider carrying a pistol that didn't have a manual safety. Now I am the complete opposite. I won't consider a hand gun for defensive purposes that has any kind of external safety on it.

#8 ·
Is there something that I'm missing that should make me less concerned?
If you absolutely have to have a safety, as some states require, then Kahr offers the P9 with external safety. The K9 does not come with this feature.
Kahr P9 w/ Night Sights, External Safety & LCI - Style # KP9193N, Kahr Arms Pistols

Otherwise, the guns are as safe as most any other modern carry gun. Most rely on folks keeping their finger off the trigger. Kahr goes the extra step and makes the trigger pull longer and in some cases heavier than other popular manufacturers.

#9 ·
ripley is right -- Kahr makes a few pistols with a thumb safety. PM9 for sure which is exactly like an MK9 only in polymer. Have one, love it, and have 3 others. None with safeties, though. Love the looks and feel of the MK, but a bit heavy for my carry needs. All Kahrs are designed as single stack carry weapons, the PM9 is the best of the bunch for me.

About all their triggers -- long, but very smooth and you'll never, I mean never, read about an accidental discharge with any Kahr pistol. The design is very close to perfect. Sorry, Glocksters, but you'll read plenty of unfortunate stories about Glock ADs. I carry a G36 from time to time, but to me, Kahrs are safer IWB.

#15 ·
I'm on my fifth Kahr, a CM9. A yr or so ago I traded a pm9 for an mk9. Both are fantastic weapons, but the weight of the mk9 was very noticeable. At the time I hadn't tried AIWB carry. I carry a CZ that way now, so the mk9 would be no problem. IMO, that's the ideal carry method for a heavy gun.

#16 ·
Had a MK9 traded it for a K9. Since I mostly carry IWB I dident really lose any concealabilty going to the K9, it just fits me better and little more accurate & a lot eaiser grab quickley + one more round.

The trigger is heavier than most DA revolvers so Kahrs are just as safe only they are a heck of a lot flater & hold more ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.