Defensive Carry banner

Driving with Holster

7K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  GoPackman 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie desperately trying to get used to carrying. Driving with a gun digging into your side or back is not the most comfortable setup.

What do YOU do? Grin and bare it? Remove your holster? I'd like some ideas on how to best handle driving and sitting while carrying.

Thanks!!!

:image005:

#3 ·
I installed a left handed OWB holster in my driver's door map pocket. It allows me to draw left handed, without obstructions, below the driver's window line-of-sight. It also leaves my right hand free to handle any "fancy" driving required to get the heck outta' there! I just transfer my G19 back to my IWB after I unbuckle my seat beat before I exit the car.

Reactions: NewtownSam
#4 ·
I just transfer my G19 back to my IWB after I unbuckle my seat beat before I exit the car.
I hear what you're saying. However, as a pilot, the most dangerous parts of flying are landing and taking off; I compare this to holstering and unholstering. The less you have to do of it, the safer you will be.

Reactions: ElMonoDelMar
#5 ·
Carrying a gun is not intended to be comfortable. Eventually you will find a seating position or carry position that will suit your needs. I carry mine at 3-3:30 and consider the minor discomfort to be comforting.

#9 ·
The most dangerous part of being armed with a concealed weapon isn't, IMHO, in changing holsters. It's NEEDING YOUR HANDGUN IN YOUR HAND TO DEFEND YOURSELF! I'd MUCH rather deal with re-holstering when that's all I'm thinking about than to get tangled-up in my seat belt or shirt tail trying to draw as the bad guy is busting-out my window with a tire iron. (*and I'm a private pilot)

#11 ·
Not sure about Texas but many states will not allow you to "remove your holster" and still be legally CC. To be CC in your car requires CC on your person as if you are walking around; CC has now been voided once you remove your holster and the firearm from your person. Many states, if you are not CC, require that the firearm be stored in a separate locked area such as the glove compartment, center console or trunk. Having the firearm, in a holster or not, just laying in the car or under the seat or uncer a newspaper is illegal. My comments are referring specifically to South Carolina. Just wanted to reiterate that everyone should check respective state law before accepting comments from the forum.

#12 ·
DrivinDave,

That above the waist holster seems like it would be VERY uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.
There are so many other fine choices out there.OMO

Reactions: Mike1956
#14 ·
FIST makes a crossdraw holster that pivots to horizontal (button release) for driving and vertical for standing up. You have to get comfortable with crossdraw but if you get in and out of a car often during the day mti might be an answer.

#15 ·
I carry my EDC in a Fobus paddle holster (OWB). Really comfortable just about anywhere, except driving. Since I'm right-handed the holster usually rides around 3:00 o'clock. Fastening the seatbelt is a hassle and driving can get uncomfortable with the gun on. Once the belt actually released the magazine (Ruger SR9c comes with ambidextrous mag release buttons). That was interesting.

Often now I'll remove the entire rig while I'm driving and stick it in the door pocket or center console. Not the best way of doing things, I'll admit. Besides, when I get where I'm going, I have to put my holster back on and I've been spotted in parking lots a couple of times now by other people while putting my gun and holster back on. I'll figure something else out one of these days.

#17 ·
It seems like a lot of people are of the mindset that CC can't be comfy. I really disagree with that. With so many different sizes of guns and types of holsters, there are comfy ways to carry. Like so many other things in life, it comes down to tradeoffs.

You could easily CC a NAA .22 mag revolver all day and not know it. Now most people would argue the NAA isn't enough firepower for most types of fights. Well, there's a wide range of guns and holsters that fall between the NAA and carrying dual .500 S&W on your belt.

The point is, figure out how much firepower you need (or want) and figure out if you can carry it comfortably. If not, you might have to downsize your firepower for comfort.

#24 ·
I find that I can't carry in the car with the same type of holster for all my guns. Each one works differently. My revolver is perfectly comfortable with an IWB holster, while my Ruger P95 or my Makarov CZ82 aren't. I usually put my gun in my door pocket like already mentioned if it's not comfortable to wear while driving. What I have realized is that If I keep my gun inside my waistband I'm definitely not getting to it while my seatbelt is on. I'll have to rethink things.

#27 ·
M&PC with Remora at 3 o'clock. With the Remora I can place the seat belt behind the holster. Comfortable,quick access, and SAFE. I've seen many broken pelvis in the ER from car accidents. Your gun under your seatbelt durring an accident would severly bruise you internally if not break your pelvis.

One of the great things about the Remora is how easy it is to move the gun without removing the gun from the holster. The best saftey on a gun is a holster.

#29 ·
Shoulder holster works great if you can conceal it. Also try Gum Creek's under dash holster, that is what I have in my cars.

#30 ·
Assuming the Shield & LCP in your signature line are the guns that you carry, you should NOT be having issues with comfort. How are you carrying (what holster) and in what position? You will hear completely idiotic crap like "Carrying a gun is comforting, not comfortable" and such remember that is NOT the case!

If you have
RIGHT GUN for concealed carry
RIGHT HOLSTER for your gun, body and carry position
RIGHT BELT to keep it all up there

Then you should have no issues at all. The 3 guns I carry the most are my Glock 26, Ruger SP101, KelTec PF-9. I have Kholsters and N82 Tacticals for all 3 as well as a Sticky Holster (like Remora) for the PF9 for the quick on and outs. NO comfort issues and I almost always forget they are there. I've tried every holster I can get my hands on and will continue to do so because I'm always about new and better but these are by far the most comfortable I've ever tried. The Kholsters have a full body shield which to me is much more comfortable than just one section of holster pressing into you, they are also much more adjustable than the competition, People push the idea that you can't draw from the as fast but I've never found that to be true. Yes the draw is slightly different but not slower, and no repositioning when the gun is out either. I fought myself for a while on them because I went Crossbreed first as most people do, but it just wasn't as comfortable. The N82's are also extremely comfortable they almost have a memory foam type inside with VERY smooth suede backing. They are single clip holsters but on a small gun that makes no difference.

I would highly recommend either one, the pic with my hand over the back of the Kholster is to show the size of it, barely the size of my hand, many people think there HUGE which they typically aren't unless your into the really big guns.

Electronic device Personal protective equipment
Skin Finger Hand Thumb Joint

Good Luck and keep us updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.