Defensive Carry banner

Do you Carry with a Cant?

To Cant or Not To Cant

10K views 64 replies 62 participants last post by  Camjr 
#1 ·
What type of holster carry do you prefer, with or without a cant?

#2 ·
Entirely up to you, and somewhat dependent on where you'll carry the gun. If you favor appendix carry, no cant is probably best; if you like the 4-5:00 position (just aft of the point of the hip), some degree of butt-forward rake (cant) accommodates getting a firing grip as you draw.

#3 ·
I carry at 3-3:30 and all of my holsters have a 15° cant forward. Some holster makers call it an FBI cant. Essentially, it brings the butt of the gun up and forward so your draw is easier to present.

Reactions: QKShooter
#5 ·
I don't believe a forward cant is a faster draw. The rearward cant would be smoother and have the barrel of the handgun pointed toward your target much sooner especially for heip shooting at a target (person) within five or six feet of you. You will not eyesight aim at that range. The initial shooting facing for the department from which I retired was at two yards. You'd be surprised how many shooting take place at that range. I believe most concealed handgun carriers have a forward cant to their holsters to place the butt of the handgun against the side of the body to prevent some printing.

BUT, to relieve some of the anxiety of drawing a handgun in a rearward or forward cant when in fear for your life...it is very fast and often you don't realize you do so....that from experience. I recall when I first began my career in law enforcement ('77), my department issued flap styled holsters very similar to the ones issued to cavalry troops in the oldwest and seen in the old John Wayne cavalry movies. I was threatened one day by a knife wielding idiot, and I never realized how fast one could draw from one of those holsters, and no, I did not have to shoot...it ended quietly.

Regardless of how you carry your holsters, practice, practice, practice until you can protect youself, loved ones, or friends.

Reactions: Snub44
#7 ·
I 'cant' decide............... (OK, that was really poor and bad humor on my part = I admit it).

The bigger the frame (longer or more mass of weapon) of my weapon, the little more cant I want to compensate for the draw.

I really hated the standard Military holsters............ except for the drop down thigh placement for straight up and down, but then again that was not concealed, LOL.

#10 ·
My cant & holster choice depends on where I wear the gun at that particular time. The further back from 4:00, the greater the cant but I always have at least a little cant. I practice a few draws after I put my gun on to make sure it's easily accessible.

#15 ·
Carry at 4:00. 15 degree forward cant. Glock 26/Raven Concealment Phantom OWB. Glock 30SF/Crown Holster Royal Modular OWB.

#23 ·
-
IWB at 4:30 with 20-25 degree cant. I found this to be the most comfortable for wear and draw.

#26 ·
CrossBreed Super Tuck and Galco King Tuk at 3:00/3:30 with forward cant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.