Defensive Carry banner

Little excitement at work this morning...

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  randytulsa2 
#1 ·
The scenario was set in this thread, a couple of weeks ago or so, and a situation today made me think about it.

Allow me to set the scene.

I work in a pawn shop. Occasionally we will get stolen items. Pawn shops are not what the are portrayed in the movies and on TV. Hollywood makes us look like a bunch of shady schiesters.

Anyhow, back to the story. Two young guys came in this morning with a couple of items to sell. Coincidentally, a detective came in to gather a couple of other items these gents had brought in a couple of days ago literally minutes before they did.

I finish conducting business with the two "gents". The detective introduces himself and they step outside to chat. His partner arrives very shortly after walking out the door. Now the odds are 2 on 2.

I watched the altercation from start to finish. The amount of times that the two of them changed places, even if a gun had been needed, there would have been no opportunity to use one with out endangering the officer, so for those that say just shoot him, let me tell you from first hand knowledge that it was not possible (in this case).

When the officer requested assistanace, I grabbed the suspect by the right arm and around the neck. I was able to get him into a sort of arm bar where his right arm was around his throat. One pull of his hand and the fight went right out of him.

I don't want this post to sound like a back-patting. I simply jumped in to help a friend who was being bested by a quick, and lanky individual.

Great kudos go out to those who get paid to deal with this crap everyday.

See less See more
#2 ·
A valuble lesson , Life is never that simple , and anyone who has the " just shoot him " fantasys has never participated in nor witnessed the dynamics of a physical fight . Glad it all worked out well and kudos to you for helping the officer(s)

#3 ·
Congrats...

for helping the cop...
Question though...you said that there were two 'gents' and two cops...why did someone need help?
Did I miss something?

ret:urla9ub:

#5 ·
for helping the cop...
Question though...you said that there were two 'gents' and two cops...why did someone need help?
Did I miss something?

ret:urla9ub:
Ret , not to put too fine a point on it , but because someone was gettin thier butt kicked , and it aint the someone we root for lol .
******* summed it up pretty well. The BG got the drop on my buddy, and the other officer was already involved in questioning the other suspect. When the altercation started, he had his hands full keeping the other guy out of it.

My buddy was sucker punched and the suspect/attacker tried to do his impression of Carl Lewis. He (my buddy) was able to catch the guy, but quickly had his hands full. BG had LEO by 6-8"s and had more desire to not go to jail than LEO had taking him appearantly. After a few minutes of tumbling around like clothes in a dryer, I knew it wasn't going to be long till one of them needed help, and I'm pretty sure we all know who was going to get the help.

#4 ·
Ret , not to put too fine a point on it , but because someone was gettin thier butt kicked , and it aint the someone we root for lol .

#8 ·
Purple88, you make a good point. Situational awareness is very important. Last year I came home from work to bush hog a pasture and found the tractor battery had gone bad. I drove to the parts store where I had bought the battery to have it checked. Arriving just before closing time, I was the only customer in the store. One of the employees and I were messing with the battery at the test station in the back of the store and the next thing I know some thug has ahold of the other employee and is pointing a Glock strait at me saying, "This is a stick-up." The robbery took about 20 minutes while he put on an employee shirt, locked the doors, cleaned out the registers and had the manager open the safe so the contents could be removed. He had us laying on the floor most of the time, but at one point while he sorted through the safe, we were lined up facing a wall. Fortunately for us, he was only an armed thief. He locked us in a bathroom and fled. All in all, a VERY uncomfortable situation. The point -- if someone gets the drop on you, "just shoot'em" is not a valid strategy. It's always better to be a step ahead of the game and situational awareness is a key skill to master. Sorry, this turned into an epistle. Needless to say, I don't run out to the store a closing time unless it is really important . . . and then, all eyes and packing.

#9 ·
Working in a pawn shop is often a high risk job. The Father of a friend of mine owned one in Pittsburgh for many years. "Pitt Loan" ~ I spent a lot of time there. There are some truly bad types of individuals frequenting pawn shops. Especially the ones located in the higher risk areas. :yup:
Stay Safe & Always Armed.

#11 ·
Ahhhh.....reality rears its ugly head. Real-world scenarios aren't predictable or easy.

I guess you shoot the guy IF YOU CAN. If you can't....well, you do what you can, whatever that is.

Use you head and train flexibly, with more than guns, I guess, is the lesson here.

Ya done good, there, purple.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.