Defensive Carry banner

Looking for Photo of Savage / Stevens 15A

6K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  BigJon 
#1 ·
This isn't a "defensive" rifle, so I thought I should post this here. Can anyone post a photo (not a schematic but an actual photo) of a Savage / Stevens model 15A single-shot, bolt-action .22? I have been trying to identify one of those weired, cheap .22 rifles made way back when (before serial numbers), and someone has suggested that it might be this model. I've looked on the web and can't find a photo, so if someone could post one, I'd sure appreciate it.

Best,
Jon

#6 · (Edited)
Falkon - Thank you for trying!

Here are some photos. If you can identify it, it will be a first! I have tried before - BELIEVE me!

The rifle says "PREMIER" on the receiver, and .22 LR. There is not other marking visible. Near as I can figure, it's an old Montgomery Ward .22 which is worthless, except for my value in foolin' with it.

#7 ·
Here are photos of the action closed and open. In the third photo, one can see the little extractor "tray", I guess I'd call it, which slides rearward as the bolt is retracted.

#8 ·
Here are photos of the bolt assembly. In the first photo, the firing pin appears below the bolt. In the second photo, the firing pin slot is shown, and in the third photo, the firing pin is shown reinstalled. It's weird - when the bolt is withdrawn from the action, the firing pin just falls out.

#9 ·
And finally, here is the inside of the rear half of the bolt. The bolt knob (shown at the far left of the first photo in the preceeding post) is uncrewed, and the photo below shows what one sees when he looks inside from the rear. There is a little slotted, screw-in retaining collar that holds the bolt together under coil-spring tension.

#10 ·
I have the little rifle working, but it wasn't pretty. It's parts are well-worn, and it had been stored uncased and ungreased in an old warehouse for decades. When I got it, it even had a dirt dauber neste in the barrel! The springs are all weak, etc., but it did get it into functional order, excpet that primer strikes are too light to ignite a round. I think that's probably a headspace thing - just my guess.

So, any guesses as to what this rifie might be? Before you say you know for sure, remember, I already know that "Premier" probably means Monkey Ward. Also, note the two-piece bolt and the VERY strange short, columnar bolt handle!

GOOD LUCK!

Best,
Jon

#12 ·
No sweat, falkon. I definitely 'preciate your effort. Am not surprised though. I even called Savage about it, and they pointed me to an outside source, a man in the Northeast who apparently is the go-to guy for identifying these rifles. He's not a Savage employee. I wrote him a letter and included photos. That was about 6 months ago, and I have never heard a word from him.

Thanks again for your effort, though.

Best,
Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.