Defensive Carry banner

Range Report: Glock 30 Gen 4

10K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  clarkston_cz 
#1 ·
Hey All,
sorry, no pics yet (wife out of town with camera) but will post some up eventually!

NIB G30 Gen4:
I field stripped it to inspect before firing, but did not clean any factory oils or gunk out. (I usually do...)

I was using American Eagle 230gr FMJ (100 rounds)
and Tula 230gr (150 rounds)
and PMC Bronze 230gr (50 rounds JHP and 50 rounds FMJ)

I also installed my new Streamlight TLR-3 after the first 30 rounds, and kept it installed the entire range session.

Also installed two Pierce magazine floorplate extensions. These fit perfectly and provided a much better grip feel than that goofy floorplate that Glock insists on using.

After the first 150 rounds or so, I installed the beavertail backstrap that Glock now provides with certain guns.
AWESOME feel and better control with the beavertail installed! How long has Glock been providing these things?
(my G30 came with 4 backstraps: two regular and two beavertail)

ZERO MALFUNCTIONS of any kind.
Drama-free and reliable performance!

From 10 yds to 30 yds, the G30 was super accurate, and kept on hitting what I was aiming at. Of course, I got a bit trigger happy at times, and sprayed and prayed, just because....

What didn't I like?
Brass was raining down on my jungle boonie hat (which collected in nicely for reloading) for many shots, but mostly the ejection pattern was where it should be. As things loosened up, it seemed to improve?

The goofy magazine plate that Glock provides with the G30 gives my pinkie finger a "pinch" while firing...fixed that by installing Pierce extensions (although the Pierce extensions could use a slight breaking of the sharp edges....)

After using a Dan Wesson 1911 lately....the serrated trigger seemed to give my trigger finger a workout.

What I loved:
100% reliability
lightweight, accurate, and just plain badazz with 45 ACP/Streamlight/beavertail/Pierce extensions

Nightstand duty began last night, and will continue for as long as I own this gun!
(sorry for no pics....will post soon)

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like my perfectly boring Gen 3. Hundreds of rounds of all sorts. Reloads, you name it. It works. Put in the ammo, pull the trigger, it goes bang. No muss, no fuss, load and go.

It's a great handgun.

Fitch

#7 ·
I bought my Gen 4 G30 in March (test fire date of 3-7-13) and it did not have the beavertail backstraps. Mine has been boringly flawless and accurate as well. One other interesting tidbit of information: This pistol did not have the copper anti-seize on the slide and rails. I have bought a bunch of new Glocks over the years and this was the first one like that.

#10 ·
For the most part I carry and shoot 9mm only but the 30S really has my attention. I'd like to have a G23 and a G30S to add to my 9mm Glock collection. The G19/23/30S size is great for general purpose/concealed carry/HD use so I'd have a jack of all trades pistol in each of the 3 major duty calibers. I'd like to have options in case ammo selection is scares (like we've recently seen).

I don't plan on buying anymore Gen 3 Glocks. I like the grip texture of the Gen 4's way better. If they came out with a Gen 4 version of the 30S I just don't know if I could keep myself from buying one. The 30S seems like the perfect mix of size and capacity for a concealable .45 ACP pistol. The only thing that would make it better in my eyes would be the more aggressive Gen 4 texture.

#11 ·
Went by the LGS today to do some looking and low and behold they had a 30s also looking at the G26 they was asking $424.00 and that is the LE and Military price but I liked the 30s, have to go back because I forgot the price.

#12 ·
Finally took mine to the range today. The g/f shot the little Kel-tec. The K-T was jamming every other shot, even when I took it over - it was odd, since I've shot that a bunch of times with no trouble.

The G26 was incredible. The 30 round range mag, and all others operated flawlessly, loved the stock sights. Felt very tight and accurate. I wasn't even trying to do more than get the rounds inside the little 'shoot-n-see' target at about 40 feet - I just wanted to put some rounds through it being the first use after the gunshow. Almost no sense of a recoil. Like it better than the XD(m) 3.8 my usual range gun. Carried in a N82 holster the little baby Glock just 'disappears'.

#14 ·
Congrats Wheely! Great looking setup you have!

#15 ·
Just got my 9 rd mag for my G30 in. It makes the gun as concealable as my G26...same grip length. I cannot load my .45 Glock mags to capacity (way too tight...tech at Glock said loading/unloading will break in the spring, letting it sit loaded does not) so my G30 is either a 10 or 9 round pistol.

Compared to the G19 with 16 rounds, I'm not sure the G30 with 10 rounds makes sense (same grip length), but when you use the 9 rd mag and compare to the G26/27, it makes more sense. 9 rounds of .45 vs 11 of 9mm or 10 of .40.

Yes the G30 is thicker, but not by much. If I carry it, it is OWB anyway. Just another consideration...

#21 ·
That is exactly why I am surprised they didn't release the 30S in Gen 4. With no backstrap on the frame is essentially a "Short Frame" model but with the option of adding other back straps, beavertail, and with the more aggressive Gen 4 texture.

I think they just went the lazy route on the 30S by using what they already had in production instead of making it the best it could be right out the gate.

#22 ·
I like how the Gen 4 G19 feels.

That's with whatever back-strap they are at the dealer's with.

I'm sure the smallest or no strap would be nice as well.

You have a nice looking/powerful Glock there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.