Defensive Carry banner

How wacky is this?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  jarhead79 
#1 ·
I was going to Gander Mt. store to see about trading some hand guns. So in addition to my CCW, I entered the store with my bag of firearms and announced to the clerk my intentions. I have been there before and know that "don't tell" is the rule for the concealed weapon, so I didn't give that up.

What was weird was that I had to open the bag, remove each gun from it's box and/or holster, demonstrate each gun was unloaded, and then place them back in their respective box and/or holster and then into the bag. After all that I was allowed to go to the back of the store to the gun section. Not that I couldn't have been carrying a clip or loose rounds.

Anyway, it just seemed ridiculous. :stups:

p.s. I didn't trade.

#13 ·
Which one was it if you don't mind me asking?:gah:
Scranton.

At the Gander Mountain local to me you have to check firearms as well, then walk back to the hunting department, straight through the ammunition aisles....

WHAT?
Same at this store. Not that one couldn't have a charged clip or loose ammo in a pocket...

I don't think that the policy is intended to keep you from being able to enter armed for a crime spree/robbery/massacre. It's to make sure that you won't be negligently pointing a loaded gun around when you go in to the gun counter and take it out to show the guy there. From that standpoint, it makes sense, I think.
Good answers, team! :congrats: I buy that insurance is the answer, both the kind you buy and the kind you demonstrate to avoid an AD.

#4 ·
It does seem strange.

Maybe like we check our guns to make sure they are unloaded before cleaning. Perhaps they check, too, before servicing/trading?

Not to keep you from going nuts and shooting up the store, but to prevent accidents.

#6 ·
Checking in the front of the store, as well as the gun section helps prevent AD's. either from employees or customers. not everyone is safety conscious.

#7 ·
At the Gander Mountain local to me you have to check firearms as well, then walk back to the hunting department, straight through the ammunition aisles....

WHAT?

#8 ·
i frequent Gander Mtn quite often and like shopping for firearms there...I have never stopped at the front desk, and have just took my bag back...of course no one has ever stopped me up front either.
a ND is dangerous up front or in the back....6 of one half dozen of the other.

#9 ·
Play The Game...

Keep your CCW...just that...concealed...
It's an insurance thing...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#11 ·
Anyway, it just seemed ridiculous. :stups:

I don't think that the policy is intended to keep you from being able to enter armed for a crime spree/robbery/massacre. It's to make sure that you won't be negligently pointing a loaded gun around when you go in to the gun counter and take it out to show the guy there. From that standpoint, it makes sense, I think.

#14 ·
Seems to me it is just a safety precaution. I have seen clerks at stores become so busy and sloppy in handling firearms that they fail to check/clear weapons occasionally. The more time people check, the less likely you have to 'duck'.

#15 ·
Ganger mtn.

Thanks never been to that one just the one in York;have never seen any signs there but have never took any to trade.Always CCW in there.One thing I have learned is to leave the wife at home damn shes like a kid in a candy store :aargh4: :haha: :haha:

#16 ·
At one of the gun shows here a couple years ago, an idiot sent a .357 Sig into the floor while he was showing the checker at the entrance his gun was "empty." :rolleyes: After that, everybody got wanded outside the door.

Maybe that's what happened at your place - some bum before you let loose a round. :gah:

#17 ·
At one of the gun shows here a couple years ago, an idiot sent a .357 Sig into the floor while he was showing the checker at the entrance his gun was "empty." :rolleyes: After that, everybody got wanded outside the door.
You just have to wish it had gone through his foot. :mad: Jerks like that who ruin it for everyone... surely they deserve some heavy karma for it. :mad:

#18 ·
Last time I went to SW, The guy, (which I know) was the new guy behind the counter.

I quickly found the extent of his firearms knowledge/safety. Each gun that he handled, he kept his finger "curved and on the trigger".

I shook my head and walked away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.