Defensive Carry banner

Winter CCW carry do you up the ante or bullet type?

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
For those who live in the freezebelt do you up your cal. and ammo and size of weapon for carry? Number one you have more garments on and can get away with a bigger weapon. Number two heavy winter garmnents can clog the hi-speed lite bullets,(9mm,SW40) and make them fail to open to perform like FMJ ammo. In the wheelgun 38spec. I go to the +P 158LSC-HP for the snubby instead of the 125gr. and 135 gr, hp. IN the .357 a good 158hp . In the auto up to the.45acp 230gr. HP Even though I can get away with bigger full size I still pack the compact type J and K frames with short 3" or less barrels and in the auto a G-36 45acp which has proven reliable and accurate and very easy to carry. I see alot of local fellows carry the 1911 and 4" 357 mag wheelgun to with the loose winter type garb. Whats your choice and why??

#2 ·
I carry 45 acp 230 grain JHP of some make now it if gets really really cold where everyone is really packing the cloths on i will carry ball in spare mag and if its that cold sometimes i carry ball in general when people have enough cloths on there almost 36" or wider so i want all i can get

#6 ·
I stick with the .45 230 grains year round.

#7 ·
My two primary carry weapons:

.45 ACP 5" Gov't Springfield Professional (7+1):

Ditto BlackEagle -- 185gr DPX year round...
Spare mags get original 165gr Quick-Shok...
Second spare mag gets 185gr truncated cone AP loads...
Ammo box gets 230gr FMJ full-house practice loads...

10mm 5" Gov't Para P16/40 (converted to 10mm) 16+1...

155gr DPX all mags...
Ammo box 200gr FMJ full-house practice loads...

Dead

#10 ·
Ditto BlackEagle -- 185gr DPX year round...
Spare mags get original 165gr Quick-Shok...
Second spare mag gets 185gr truncated cone AP loads...
Deadmarsh: Why carry different stuff in the spare mags? Just wondering.

#8 ·
Winter CCW carry do you up the ante or bullet type?
No.

I carry a relatively stout 9mm all the time, the Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm JHP 124gr +P+ at the moment. Am debating whether to stick with this or rely on the DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P, which adds about 30% more power and some speed, given the increase in reliable and smooth cycling and minor impact on aim and follow-up ability.

#9 ·
No change here. A Sig P-229 w/124gr Fed. EFMJ's (40 total). Even if someone is wearing heavy leather clothing with thermal vest, etc. they still don't wear much on the head. If the two COM shots don't do the trick, there is still a round comming their way aimed for the Face/head. Repeat as necessary until threat is gone.

#13 ·
I carry Win Ranger right now, but would prefer to carry CorBon DPX for winter here in MT.

I like everyone else sometimes have a combo of 3 layers of Carhart, Filson Double Tin Cloth mixed with down, synthetic quilt, fleeces plural, flanels, capilenes, etc. Plug a Hollow Point? You Betcha! I think the Cor-Bon DPX is the winter ticket here, but I can't afford to reliability check my gun with it. $23 for 20 rounds. Reliability check $575. I can carry what I want to, but the Win Ranger is free. So, I'll stick with the Ranger and I'll go for the head shot:image035:

#15 ·
I carry the same ammo all year round. On my XD 45, I carry 200 gr +P Federal Expanding Point FMJ. I mu 9mm guns (Glock19/26, Beretta 92FS), I carry Corbon 100gr +P Pow'rball. Each of these rounds are designed to expand regardless of the clothing. Sometimes, a hollow point will clog with material as it passes through denim or leather, preventing or reducing expansion. In addition, both the EPFMJ and the Pow'rball feed like FMJ rounds. To me, these 2 rounds take some of the worry about "being close"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.