Defensive Carry banner

Ranger T, Bonded & Hornady xtp test.

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Hatrix 
#1 ·
Ok this is a very non scientific test i did just to compare the 3 ammos i currently have, all 3 were shot from 20'into 2 litter bottles filled with water. They are winchester ranger T 180 gr, winchester ranger bonded 180 gr and Hornady xtp 156 gr shown in that order, both of the winchesters stopped in the 3rd bottle but the T did put a hole in the 3rd but stayed inside it, the Hornady jacket stayed in the 4th bottle but the lead core went thru the 4th into the backstop. I was surprised the T seemed to go just a bit father the the bonded and the Hornady self destructed, i have been carrying the Hornady but i think i will change over to one of the winchester loads, i realize the extra velocity might be why the Hornady separated in the water but the looks of both of the winchester loads set very impressive, i am going to do out again with some denim in front of the bottle. I can't seem find much on the Hornady xtp load, is this a typical result?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
The LEO's I work with all carry the T series and they have never had any complaints with the result over the last 10 years! The local MEs can tell from the x-rays and they can verify the great expansion of the T series ammunition within a human body! To date the department hasn't had any over penetration issues with this ammunition. Seen like the Hornady in your test may have an over pen possibility?

My normal carry is T series. But I also carry a double tap 147gr load and Speer gold dot. All in 357Sig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I don't know how much I buy into these tests. People don't wear 4 layers of denim and we are not made out of ballistic gel. There are to many factors that even the professional tests can't really account for like bone and such. I know a lot of science goes behind bullet designs and testing, but until you have to pull the trigger on a violent attacker, there is no way to tell for sure what that bullet is going to do.

G
#10 ·
The 4 layers of denim test are not meant to represent any real world scenario. It's used to tests a HP's resistance to clogging.
There are comparison tests done with officer involved shootings and ballistics gel testing that have proven that the gel tests results very closely mirror real world shooting results as far as expansion and penetration. Canadian Mounted Police did some tests that used ballistics gel and ballistics gel with pig ribs about 1/4 inch in the gel and the results showed that there was so little difference between the gel and gel plus ribs test results that it was insignificant.

#4 ·
I am not a big fan of the water tests. I like the Hornady bullet a lot. Tests in ballistic gel, and with denim show decent expansion. Water is a uniform medium , but rounds act differently. Wet pack newspaper is far better to use.

Take a look at this of the critical duty vs a gold dot and it metal of some sort comes to play and why it's my round (that and I can find it )

http://youtu.be/h3XNWU8xaxk

Go Seahawks!

#5 ·
I like looking at these "tests" but like skysoldier said, it doesn't prove what it will really do. I feel that unless you shot someone in the stomach, you are going to hit bone first, so what does the bullet do to after it breaks through some ribs? or how well does it break ribs? or does it still expand after glancing off of a rib? This is in no way criticizing your test! I'm just throwing out the questions that I always think of whenever I see these tests. Its nice to know that the ammo will expand under good conditions at least!

#6 ·
I wouldn't be too critical of a bullet that passed through 4 bottles of water and kept going--even if separated--when the others stopped at 3.

Reactions: G-man*
#7 ·
I have found in the past that bottles of water did not give whole picture on ammo, I have used wet phone books but went to gel but that was what I thought gave me the most info. I used water bottles to give my kids a idea of what happens, I did have a recipe to make gel but can' find it to post

#8 ·
The bonded is handy if you want better penetration, or have to worry about going through barriers.

#9 ·
Like i said, this was not in any way a good test but i was curious how they would compare thru a basic water bottle test, my brother just shot a deer so i might try to get the carcass that had meat and bone and then put a old coat over it, that seems like it would be a better example of a human body, either way it will be fun to try.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Now I'll be up all night stressing about my chosen load. Oh wait, mine are solid lead so I don't need to worry about separation, clogging, penetration or expansion! Whew, I was almost worried there for a second.

Reactions: Cuda66
#13 ·
Expansion should be considered a bonus to a well-placed bullet. Don't plan on it; don't expect it. It will not compensate for a poorly placed shot. If you feel you really need expansion, use a bigger bullet.

#15 ·
Reactions: 357and40
#17 ·
Ranger T is a boned bullet which means the core and jacket are boned together. The XTP is not boned. Corbon, Buffalo Bore, and Hornaday Tap use the XTP. If the bullet penetrates 12 inches in gel test it will hit the vitals from any angle. I like the XTPs I use them for reloading. But for legalities I use Gold Dots in my CC gun. Ranger T is the old Black Talons without the moly coating. Federal HST is a very good round also.

#20 ·
Love my Ranger-T 180gr.

Was fortunate enough to pick up four 50 round boxes back in June. Would love to get a hold of some PDX1 in 180gr's but they're nonexistent or super expensive when I do see them. I'm fairly brand loyal when it comes to ammo, so I usually stick to Winchester, as far as my carry rounds are concerned, but I've been considering giving the HST's a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.