Defensive Carry banner

Is a private daycare off limits?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Voice 
#1 ·
I have read the State Police law site on carry limitations, one place in the VA state police laws say no carry in private, public, or religious elementary, middle, or high school. Another VCDL adds K-12. Ok I get that.

But does anyone know if that pertains to a privately owned pre-school or daycare? It's not in any sort of marked school zone and shares a parking lot with other businesses. I usually put it in a lock box on drop off and pickup of the kiddos, but really hate un and re-holstering if I don't need to.

Just wondering if anyone has checked into this? Am I being unnecessarily cautious in this situation?

#4 ·
§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

To the best of my knowledge pre-schools do not fall into the category of elementary/middle or high schools. If, however an elementary school also houses a pre-school, that would be against the law to carry into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.