Defensive Carry banner

Pet names for your guns?

55K views 50 replies 42 participants last post by  PhaedrusIV 
#1 ·
Anyone else have nicknames or pet names for their guns?
I don't for my own, but me and my wife refer to her Kel-Tec as 'Katie'.

It started when we were talking on the cellphone in public and I wanted to know if she was carrying, but without saying 'gun' or Kel-Tec', so I asked if she had K-T with her.
That stuck and got adapted to 'Katie'. So now I can just say 'Is Katie with you?

Anyway, anyone else have names for guns that they can use in public and keep the true subject secret?

#2 ·
?????

"Say hello to my little friend." Rings a bell...:hand10:

I sometimes refer to Mr. G...or Mr. K...depending upon which .45 is going along for the ride...:scratchchin:

ret

Reactions: PhaedrusIV
#3 ·
I suspect I do it with these these three factors in mind:
1. My family has a tradition of naming our vehicles
2. Sociologist say that groups that have several names for things show how important an item is to society
3. I'm more comfortable refering to my 'coyote' rifle in .223 Remington than a semi-auto to my mom because of it's appearance, since I do use it for coyotes I'm not lying.

#4 ·
Ya know, its funny, one of my female friends just asked me the same thing. Because she heard me use a girl's name in a conversation the other day talking among my a couple friends, and she figured out what I was alluding too.

About half of mine have female names, most of which my mother actually came up with and they just stuck. Two, the Peacemaker and the Persuader, are just so perfectly named there is no other point. And the rest are just called what they are.

Most of my friends who know I carry or who shoot with know the nicknames, and it is something that we can use in public and not raise any eyebrows. When is the last time a few guys sitting in a restaurant around a college campus got a second look for saying female names? Never. But heaven forbid you say my .45.

#8 ·
I don't know I've dated a few women that have had a recoil that would rival a Barrett's :rofl:

#9 ·
No but then i dont name other power tools either , nor do i seem to name things that most males do , i must be lacking lol .

Reactions: halem1
#11 ·
I don't for my own, but me and my wife refer to her Kel-Tec as 'Katie'.

It started when we were talking on the cellphone in public and I wanted to know if she was carrying, but without saying 'gun' or Kel-Tec', so I asked if she had K-T with her.
That stuck and got adapted to 'Katie'. So now I can just say 'Is Katie with you?
Same here. When I started carrying I had a PPK so it was named Walter. When I switched to a Beretta we went with Pietro. Both are gone but we use either name and we both know what we are talking about without anybody listening being the wiser.

#12 · (Edited)
Actually I hadn't thought about this, but it wouldn't be a bad idea just so it could be casually mentioned in public without rousing any attention.

I have refered to my old mosin nagant as "Moe" a time or two. It is a bit surprising because I almost always come up with a humorous nickname for my car. I blame my sister for giving me the idea. When we were both still living at home, she named her plymouth "Careful". When I asked, why, she just yelled into the other room and told dad she was going to the store for a minute. Dad hollered back "Ok... Drive careful". LOL

Just for fun, here are some examples:

Grumpy, a 78 tbird wrecked in the front end, to me the front always looked like a face with a ticked off expression.

Safely, a plymouth very similar to my sisters car which she named "careful"

The rustbucket, my old 69 buick, with rust so bad, you couldn't haul watermelons in the trunk, they would fall out, so would the spare for that matter. It got so bad, that the battery fell out...twice.
It always started on the first try, and ran like a scalded dog though.

The mystery smell machine, 96 E350 with 300,000 very poorly maintained miles on it. I drove it for work for a few months, while waiting on another truck to become available. The previous driver had been written up a couple of times over the years for poor hygene. I cleaned it thoroughly the day I took it home, but every once in a while...

Most recently there is "The Hillbilly SUV", which is my jacked up $200 crown vic station wagon. I don't drive it but a few hundred miles a year, and it will go most anywhere and haul most anything I need it to.

At any rate back to the topic of this thread. I can some possibilities for humor in naming a NAA mini revolver, Bertha. LOL!

#13 ·
never could get into the 'naming thing'. my car, i own 8 guitars, my weapons... but it seems to work in your situation. like a needed code word. seems more functional than traditional which is what makes it flow. i've thought about that concept, but it just doesn't seem like it would fit me.

#15 ·
My carry gun is "Miss Anne" -- actually, "Miss Anne Thrope," but we usually just call her Miss Anne. We use the name fairly often.

Best buddy's carry gun is "Sir Jury." He never really refers to it by name, though.

The kids' plinking rifle is "The Wizard." Scary accurate battered old gun.

My NAA mini-revolver with perlite grips is "Mini Pearl."

pax

#17 ·
I had named both of mine after X-GirlFriends, but it was pointed out that they'd both most likely wanted me dead, "My Bad", so I dropped the pet name thang. :smoke23:(also got the wife a might riled)

I then tried just using numbers, but every time I referred to pulling number 1 or using number 2 everybody just looked disgusted. Pointing didn't work either, 1 is IWB front and 2 is SOB. :gah:

I would call them my power-tools, but the wife just giggles and rolls her eyes. (Think I hear a muttered "in your dreams").:king:

#19 ·
Well I'm not anthromorphizing any of my tools, guns or otherwise.
I don't need a name for a drill other than drill, and my guns are either called exactly what the manufacturer named them or something simpler, like my Taurus 85 Ti is called snubbie.
It's all about secrecy not some cute factor when we call my wife's guns by pet names.

#20 ·
My girlfriend calls her Bersa Thunder "Argi" because it's made in Argentina.

I haven't really named any of mine but I guess I would call my Ruger P-95 Billy after the late Bill Ruger. My Super Redhawk .44mag would have to go by William.

Like others have stated my guns are tools, but I have to admit I don't think of my guns the same way I think of my other tools. I have a hammer, drill, chainsaw, and a lawn mower. I don't enjoy using any of them. My guns I enjoy and do have a warm spot in my heart for them.

Reactions: Old Sarge
#21 · (Edited)
I can't pick up or put down my Colt Mustang without yelling, "MUSTANG SALLY!" so that's kind of became the Mustang's pet name..lol

My stapler's name is Alvin and my lamp's name is E.T., my car's name is Pepe and his accomplice is named Red. So why not name my guns?

Darn, now I have to think.

#23 ·
Not sure why I named my guns. I have never named any other property before. I guess my guns just seem special:

Kimber 1911 – Kimberly
S&S 620 – Magnolia
S&W 640 – Maggie
Taurus 85 – Bull
M1 Garrand – Gen. Patton
Yugoslavian Mauser – Shultz

Haven’t thought of one for my AK-47 yet.

#25 ·
Waaaaay back when I was a kid, I saw a John Wayne movie at the local theatre: Big Jake. The Wayne character named his stack barrel Derringer "Betsy."

Years later when I purchased my very first ever M1911, I named her "Betsy." She's a 1911 Remington Rand made in 1943 and "modernized" over time. Served me well as the primary carry gun over many years. Later when I got married, I of course began training my lovely wife to be a tactical partner should the need ever present itself. We created an "immediate reaction" protocol in case one of us should ever be compromised just outside the door and forced into the home under duress. We decided in such a case, the party "under the gun" so to speak, would lightly call out:

"Honey, I'm HOME! We have company. Get BETSY and come say HELLO!" Of course, to an intruder it would seem as if I was inviting helpless wife and daughter to their doom. Or "quavering hubby" (God forbid) depending on the situation.

However it then behooves the "party under the gun" to take any necessary measures to immediately drop to the floor as the other half is going to acquire a target and shoot from cover. That's the only gun I named.

#26 ·
Gun named Big Bertha

In 1900 Alfred Krupp's armaments factory at Essen, Germany, began building a 350-mm howitzer that could fire an 800 lb shell over 10,000 yards. In 1908 the German Army asked Gustav Krupp to build an improved version of this gun with the capability of destroying the heaviest fortification.

By 1912 Krupp had produced a 420mm weapon that fired a 2,100 lb shell over 16,000 yards. As it weighed 175 tons, it was designed to be transported in five sections by rail and assembled at the firing site. This concerned the German Army and they asked for it to be adapted to be moved by road. By 1914 company had produced a mobile howitzer called Big Bertha (named after Gustav Krupp's wife). This 43 ton howitzer could fire a 2,200 lb shell over 9 miles. Transported by Daimler-Benz tractors, it took its 200-man crew, over six hours to re-assemble it on the site.

On the outbreak of the First World War, two Big Berthas and several Skoda 30.5 howitzers were erected outside the fortress of Liege in Belgium. The first shells were fired on 12th August at the ring of 12 forts around the city. By the 15th August all the forts had either been destroyed or had surrendered. News of the success of this new weapon at Liege encouraged other countries involved in the conflict to produce large mobile guns.

#28 ·
The nicknames help with keeping a list at a secure location off site just incase someone happens by my list they just have names and numbers but have no clue what it refers to.

#30 ·
I personally have never given my firearms names. If I called them anything short of their make or manufacturer, it would definitely have been POS as mentioned in previous posts, for the same reasons.

The only name ever placed on one of my guns was the first 1911 I purchased. My friend was a dedicated Glock fan at the time and referred to my 1911 as Cletus. Not sure where he got that from, but when we would go shooting, he'd always ask me to bring Cletus along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.