Defensive Carry banner

I CONVERTED A FRIEND....Sort of

872 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  peacefuljeffrey 
#1 ·
I didnt really convert him, but I have helped bring him into the Lovely World of 2a.

....A little History....
We have been friends for several years. Me, him, and our friends usually go riding every weekend (when its not raining).

He has had little ' hands on' with guns. I always talk about guns, the ones I have and the ones I want, and going to the range.

When I told him that I was getting my CHL, his responce was "will you carry all the time?" My reply was "anytime/anywhere I can legally do so" He looked at me like I was strange. I asked him if that bothered him. He just doesn't understand why anyone would want to carry all the time but it was ok with him. Then I went through the spill about how you Never Know when Y WILL need to have it. You dont choose to get robbed. And how... its better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. He understood and was cool with it but just didnt think it was needed for him........untill last night.......

I got a call from him today. His first question was...
"what are you doing this weekend?" I told him and asked why.
........we will call him D......

D.....I want to go buy a gun and I need your help and knowledge

me....REALLY???? Why?

D.....lastnight I was in the back yard and heard automatic gun fire just 3 or 4 blks away. Within 5 min the Getto Bird (helicopter) was lighting up the area.

me....I will see what I can do about changing my plans.

......here is the shocker......

D......I want to go to the range with you too so you can teach me how to shoot so I can get my CHL.

me.....SWEEEEET..I can do that.

I did tell him that I felt he needed to get a shotgun first for HD and take a lil more time to find a pistol that FITS, but I left to up to him. He is very excited about it and talkin about goin to the range all the time and even getting into competition in the future. I think it is so great that he is no longer on the fence, but eating in our pasture now.

David

OH YEAH....this gunfire he heard at his house....is only about a 1/2 mile from the albertsons (I think thats the one it was) in south Ft Worth that robbed a few days ago.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good ambassadorial work (is that a word?) and Congrats on your new (first) padawan, jedi master. IMO, I decided to get a handgun before the shotgun. My reasoning being that while a shottie makes for better home defense, it is only good for home defense. As it goes, we can't schedule when or where we'll need to go to arms. The handgun is still useful at home.

#3 ·
LB

Very true on the difference between a pistol and shottie. The reasons I suggested the shotgun first......

It will be for his G/F too...
Small kids in the house and dont need something to penetrate walls...
Both have little hands on....
He has at least 2 more months till he can carry under the travelling law and a minimum of 4 months till he gets his CHL in hand....That gives him plenty of time to choose the pistol that fits him.
It was only a suggestion to him and I will let him decide what he wants first.

**** Any/all feedback welcomed****

#5 ·
Some folks need an incident similar to this to open their eyes. I'm glad he did not get hurt and had the sense to recognize the situation. The sad thing is that some don't recognize the situation and choose to bury their heads in the sand. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Give your friend all the help he asks for or put him in touch with someone who can fill in the gaps. We all were there at one point (just starting out needing guidance).

#7 ·
Sounds like your friend is ready to be responsible for his own safety. Sometimes it does take a bad situation to wake people up.

#8 ·
The shotty's still gonna send lead through walls; keep that in mind. However, within 30 feet the spread is damn near negligible but still wider than that of a rifle. Great home defense choice, but you still need to follow Rule 4 of the gun safety rules (knowing the target, backstop, and beyond).

About the handgun, congratulations on the soon-to-be convert. Just remember to go slow and be patient. An over-eager teacher might scare him away.

BUT... you know, if he heard automatic gunfire, then why not also introduce him to the wonderful world of Class 3 weaponry?

:image035:

-B

#9 ·
I'm sure it doesn't work on everyone, but the best way I've found to encourage pro-gun shooting is to take someone that may be anti, or sitting on the fence, to a shooting range or plinking somewhere. I've done that several times to different people and they get a real thrill out of it. Water filled plastic milk jugs are great targets, shooting stationary clay targets, etc. The new shooter really needs to see some immediate reaction from their successful shot.

As the host you should not be critical of their skills, but emphasize safety, and helpful hints. Don't show off, use the shoot as a informal lesson for them. Be encouraging and mindful of this "new shooter" and they'll buy a gun and join you.

What a great way to strengthen our right to bear arms !!!

#10 ·
Amazing how fast they find the necessity for a gun when something bad happens near them. I have heard of very anti-gun folks doing a complete 180 when something like this happens to them. Up until then they think we are nuts.

#11 ·
Sheep to Wolf

This again is the number one reason more folks need to get vocal
about any OSHA rule changes, gun registy, and the ton of other stuff
we have all heard from the " UNKNOWING" Only takes one bad act
to change a persons mind.. Had to change your mind, if your rights
to own and use are taken away and you can no longer have a gun..
2 cents worth

#12 ·
One more ''recruit'' but also maybe another who can spread the word.

Pity however for so many folks, it seems they have to be ''shocked'' into realization to actually do something about it! Sometimes we attempt to describe possible (very possible) scenarios but with no effect - they need the ''jolt'' of first hand exposure to something threatening.

#13 ·
Glad to read that your friend now sees the value of having a gun and plans to get one (or two).

Hopefully he will not end up being the knee-jerk type who gets a gun, learns nothing about it, never practices with it, leaves it in a nightstand drawer and thinks that it's "protecting" him. Hopefully you can coach him into being a true sheepdog-type. Don't let him slip away...

And I'm also glad that you weren't reporting that you'd converted him to full-auto, as I'm sure there's a BATFE regulation against converting friends to full-auto... :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.