Defensive Carry banner

Micro Stamping??

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jmsstnr 
#1 ·
I have used the search feature just prior to posting this and came to no avail for what I wanted to ask so here it goes..

With this new microstamping that is going to be activated Jan 1 2010, What are people supposed to do with their old no "illegal" weapons since the firing pin on those will not be micro stamped.

Also what is to keep people from "breaking" the firing pins on the new and improved firearms.

Just wondering because I have a feeling this is going to spread state to state worse than the black plaque(SP), and because you know all the thugs and gang bangers go through all of the required background checks and fill all of the paperwork out.:rolleyes:

#2 ·
THe MicroStamping law will prohibit any guns from being added to the "Roster" of guns certified for sale in California. Old Guns can still be traded/transferred among individuals. I know that Guns that are not on the roster cannot be sold new by dealers but whether or not a dealer can buy a gun that is already in the state, is used, and offer it for sale, I am not sure.

As far was replacing the pin. According to the law, no one can make alterations to a Micro-Stamping gun without permission. Also, the law requires that the microstamping be done on two places on the brass. Don't ask me how they are going to do it.

It should also be noted that a "non Patent" technology must be used. I don't see how anyone is going to invent microstamping without issuing a patent so we will have to see.

Man do I hate the State that I live in.

#3 ·
There is only one intent for microstamping. That is to make the sale of unmicrostamped guns illegal.

It is nothing more than an incremental attempt to legislate guns out of existance in California.

They cant just go out and get em, so they pass enough law that no manufacturerer or seller in their right mind would be caught dead doing buisness there.

Its just another brick in the wall.

#4 ·
I agree with you 100%. However, that was not the OP's question. At least I don't think it was.

#5 ·
I am just trying to get alot of information about this as I worry about it coming to every state... So what keeps them from buying out of state and having them shipped to a FFL in cali, because technically they are not buying in CA

#6 ·
Cannot import through a dealer from out of state a gun that is not on the list, is the way I understand it.

However, in California, a parent or grandparent can give a gun to a child or grandchild and vice versa without going through a dealer. So if you have a parent, grandparent, child or grandchild who lives in a non stamping state, they could give it to you, as long as the transaction is done in person and not through the mail or carrier.

#7 ·
Stop the "unsafe" list

I think that the law states the technology must not carry a patent burden, not that the technology can't be covered by a patent. That means the technology covered by the patent must be offered "royalty-free" to the manufacturer.

From the law:
"...provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions."

What isn't clear is whether that burden also includes the added manufacturering and tooling expenses that the patent holder will charge to the manufacturers. Will a court consider these necessary peripheral (to the patent technology itself) expenses to be included as a "burden" of the microstamping technology? We may find out.

What I'd really like to see is for CA to remove its LEO exemption from buying firearms not on the "safe" list. The agency must assume some legal liability with police using "unsafe" handguns, as legally defined by the CA Dept. of Justice, when performing their duties. Put in perspective, the new HK P30, will likely be defined as an "unsafe" handgun in CA because it may not meet the DoJ criteria. Only in California... When the LEO exemption is gone and they can't get their desired handguns either, maybe they will stop supporting these idiotic laws.

#9 ·
What I'd really like to see is for CA to remove its LEO exemption from buying firearms not on the "safe" list. The agency must assume some legal liability with police using "unsafe" handguns, as legally defined by the CA Dept. of Justice, when performing their duties. Put in perspective, the new HK P30, will likely be defined as an "unsafe" handgun in CA because it may not meet the DoJ criteria. Only in California... When the LEO exemption is gone and they can't get their desired handguns either, maybe they will stop supporting these idiotic laws.
Amen!!! In response to this microstamping nonsense I would also like to see manufacturers refuse to serve LEO agencies in California until the model they want is on the list. If the State of CA can extort the manufacturers than the Manuf.'s can extort the State.

#12 ·
What firearms manufactureres should do is band together and do what Barret did. You put an unconstitutional restriction on our sales to civilians, then we won't sell to your law enforcement agencies either.

#14 ·
IMHO, this new law will simply ban the sale of all new pistols in California. I seriously doubt many (if any) manufacturers are going to even attempt to retool....it's just not practical.

However, revolvers are exempt from this requirement and don't leave brass laying around. I pity the poor cop or citizen that has a gang-banger pick up their brass at range and then scatters it at a crime scene.

#16 ·
As much as I disagree with microstamping, some variation of it has been around for some time now. Printers, copiers and faxes all leave an identifying mark on the paper used in them. No one said anything about this, however, microstamping shells has created quite a stir. If you use your firearm legally there shouldn't be any fear from microstamping, however, as stated I do disagree with it.

#17 ·
I am not so much worried about me using MY brass legally, im worried about the idiot gang banger/murder that comes behind me at the range, and if I miss one of my brass on the ground picks it up and take it to a crime scene and throws it down instead of theirs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.