Defensive Carry banner

what do i need to start reloading

14K views 66 replies 14 participants last post by  friesepferd 
#1 ·
ok. so its getting near christmas time and I have been thinking of what to get my fiance. I think Im going to get him reloading equipment.
Heres the thing. I know NOTHING about reloading.
I dont have a huge budget. under 200 for sure. under 150 if i can.
i know plenty of people who got a single stage setup for under 100. it would be nice if i could get a progressive loader, but if they cost to much, they cost to much.
He will be reloading 45ACP mainly. Although Im sure i will be getting stuff for my 9mm luger.
Can you use all the same equipment for rifle rounds as well?
if it can be done cheaply, he will probably want to reload 7.62x54R later too.
So this is the kind of info I need:
Links to good, but not to pricey reloading stuff.
I want to know everything we need so that if he wanted to, he can try it out Christmas day.
Also, links to good free online literature on how to reload would be great.
thanks a ton!:hand36:

and hun if you are reading this, which i dont think you are since you dont go to this site... im not talking about you.. this is some other girl who wants to get her guy reloading stuff. Im getting you a lump of coal.

See less See more
#5 ·
If he's never reloaded, I would Not recommend a progressive reloader. Too much is happening all at once with a progressive. He should be using a single stage, and do them one at a time so he understands the hows and whys of it all. When he gets bored with a single stage, then move up.

#3 ·
That'll work.

For starters you'll also need a powder measure. You've GOT to have that.

You'll also need a Reloading Book, there are several out there. This has the case dimensions, various bullet weights, different type of powder that can be used and most importantly is the charge weight of the powder for each load...and these must be followed exactly as stated.

You'll need the proper dies. Each caliber has its own set of dies. Lee has dies that'll cost around 20 bucks a set.

Then, you have to buy the consumables...the bullets, the powder,the primers. You can buy new cases, but its cheaper to use your own fired cases.

Thats a start.

#4 ·
The first thing to get is a reloading manual, or two. They will tell you the powder, primer, and bullet to use. The cheapest way to start is to use a Lee Loader. It has the die and powder measure in it. That's how I started 25+ yrs. ago, and it got me going for a bare minimum of cash. But the best(?) way is to get a good used (rcbs,etc.) single stage press off of ebay. O-frame is stronger than C-frame, and they last forever. A set of dies for the caliber you're reloading. Case lube, like Hornady's "One Shot". A case block to hold the cases while reloading. A scale to measure powder charges. And of course, powder and primers, and bullets. I think you'll find that reloading will NOT save you any money. Because you'll end up shooting A LOT more. And it's a lot of fun.

#11 · (Edited)
1. Single stage Lee press & manual :http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690700
2. Lee carbide dies http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690509
3. Lee safety powder scale: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690681
4. Lee powder measure: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690058
5.. Powder funnel: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690190

Total so far: $94.77

6. Bullets: http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|281
7. Brass: http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|282

This is rock-bottom equipment, but it works and it's safe. There are other things you'll need to get (like powder & primers), but because of costly Haz-Mat shipping fees, it's best that you purchase these locally.

I hope this helps you.

#8 ·
Try doing a search of this forum on "reloading equipment". Several threads with lots of information.

Hoss

#9 · (Edited)
A single stage is about 3 to 4 times slower than a progressive or slower depending on the user.

BUT If you don't know anything about reloading a single stage or a turret press that does one stage at a time is the way to go. It will allow you to learn the proper reloading techniques without getting either frustrated or building dangerous or unusable rounds.

After you get good with a single stage or other then you can safely move on to building 500 to 1000 rounds an hour.

Speed for someone new to reloading is not always the best choice.

You need

Books, first and foremost, a couple of good ones.

Press
Dies for each caliber
Powder measure
Scale
Caliper
Solid area to mount press to.
Bullet puller, for when you mess up, lol.

This is a minimum for pistol reloading

If your only going to be doing pistol ammo at first you can get case cutting equipment later.

#12 ·
thanks. very helpful.
still havnt decided whether or not to get single state or progressive. im going to talk to a few friends here then make that discussion.
if i were to go with the lee progressive setup from the link i posted before,
what else would i need (besides brass, powder, primers, etc)?
it looks like it comes with this stuff: Kit Includes:
# Carbide 3-die set
# Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure with 4 disks
# Pro 1000 Primer attachment
# Case Feeder attachment with tubes
# Shell plate

what else would i need if all i wanted to do was .45acp.
and what else would i need if i also wanted to do 9mm

#13 ·
You don't really the case feeder, it's nice to have and if it comes with the kit, then o.k. If it was me, I'd also get the Lee Safety Powder Scale. The Auto-Disk Powder Measure measures by volume and not by weight .... and most reloaders end up wanting to know what is the weight of the powder charge being thrown. This is because all powder companies write their loading data in terms of powder weight and not powder volume.

If you want to set up for 9m as well, you would need to buy the 9mm Lee dies and a 9mm Shell Plate.

#14 ·
That's a great gift idea. If you forget something, don't worry, it can come later. As stated, a book or books are key. I have ABC's of Reloading (got it from MidwayUSA.com) and recommend it. I'd start out with a single stage or a turret press - cheaper is better. They're all functional and that's all that really matters. In addition you'll need at a minimum:
Shell plates or shell holders (depends on type of press)
Powder measure
Scale
Dies (carbide is best)
Calipers

As for components, you could get those later. Its almost better that way because you see the savings right away. Buy 1000 primers, 1000 bullets, and a pound of powder and you probably spend less than $150 (depends on bullets mainly) and you'll get 1000 rounds out of it.

Austin

#15 ·
first thing is to get some books on reloading. read all you can. then look at used equipment. ebay has some good deals. a single stage press, scales, and dies along with the other items if found used should be under $150.00. but read reloading books, even the older books have some of the best information found.

#17 ·
Single Stage = Screw-in one die and do all the cases for that operation and then un-screw it and screw-in the next die for the next operation.

Turret = All dies are screwed-in to the turret at the same time. You do all operations of one die on all the cases and then turn the turret to the next die and do the same with that one.

Progressive = All dies are screwed-in and the press has at least 4 stations. You place a case in the 1st station & pull the press handle. If it's an automatic progressive, it then cranks the case to the next station. If it's not automatic, then you manually turn the shell place to advance the case to the next station and put a fresh empty case in the 1st station. When you've cranked through all the stations, the press will spit-out a completed round.

#18 ·
A turret is in between the two.
With a single stage press you would size/deprime all of your cases, then prime and expand the necks of all the cases, then charge all the cases, then seat bullets/crimp all the cases.
With a turret press you can size/deprime a case, (turret rotates) prime and expand the neck of that case, charge the case, then seat a bullet/crimp the case. You spend less time taking shells in and out of shellholders, and make one complete round at a time.
With a progressive press you have multiple shells being worked on with each pull of the handle - while one case is being sized/deprimed, another is being neck expanded/primed, while yet another is being charged, and another is seating a bullet/crimping. You get a complete bullet with every pull of the handle.

So using a single stage takes more time, a turret takes less, and a progressive is the fastest. Of course, with speed comes risk.

I use a single stage - I'll make 500 rounds over the course of a week. One day I'll size/deprime them all, another day I'll neck expand and prime them, another day I'll charge and seat bullets/crimp. It takes a couple hours a night I'd say...but then again I don't shoot 500 rounds a week - more like 50 - so its not a big deal since I go 10 weeks before needing to load more.

Austin

#19 ·
I use a single stage - I'll make 500 rounds over the course of a week
Or you could do it in an hour using a progressive press. The big thing here is... how much is your time worth?

If you can drive a car,you can use a progressive press. Yeah, it costs more, but its well worth it.

#20 ·
This has been beaten up pretty bad this month, but I think that it's one of those "if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" things.

A progressive is good for sitting down and loading several hundred rounds in a sitting. If you need to load up that much ammo fairly quickly, they are the way to go. If however you only need to load up a hundred rounds or less at a time, you're not gonna save much time with a progressive. Of course your needs are dependant on how much you shoot, how much time you have to reload, and how much you like reloading. And of course how tight you are on money. If your beau is only burning a few boxes of pistol ammo a month, I'd say you'd be fine getting a single stage setup, If he shoots alot more than that you may want to look into a turret or progressive setup.

#22 ·
Very true Sunacre, and if you happen to be driving a ferrari 100mph your first time, that mistake is likely to cost you alot more than if you were cruising 20mph in grandpa's old Ford.

It is a whole lot easier to double charge a case with a progressive, or end up popping off a primer that wanted to seat sideways. So if you do get a progressive as a first press, be sure to go very slow and carefully untill you really know what you're doing.

#26 ·
Frieseperd, I am gonna chime in here and give you some of my observations in regards to getting into reloading and the press you stated at top. I bought that very same setup in 9mm to get started.

In doing my research, I got caught up in the numbers per hour a progressive is capable of doing. I then researched the different progressives and they strength/weaknesses. I was told look at Dillon and what it is capable of. I decided I didnt want to spend Dillon money on something that I might not even like doing. I looked at turret presses and decided that it wasnt for me, too slow(numbers, remember). I decided that the Lee Pro would do it for me in terms of cost vs speed. The Lee cost me a little over $200 with the 9mm kit and 2 die kits I bought on my own.

I set up the Lee on a new work bench. It is easy to set up. The instruction manual that comes with it is kind of sparse(as in sux). I ended taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together just to get it to run properly in time. I would say this press is for someone who is mechanically inclined, as you need to watch it to see exactly what it is supposed to be doing at each station.

I have been playing with it all week, and it is finally running almost 100%. I have yet to start making bullets with it, but it seems to be ready to start doing so. I have only done depriming of bullets to run them thru to make sure it is in time. Its up to me now to start making bullets, but at this stage I think I know what it supposed to happen at each stage. To give you an example of how fast this press can be, I deprimed over 80+ cartridges in less than 5 minutes(notice how I come back to the numbers thing again), so that gives me an indication of how fast it might be in the future

Now, if I had to do it again, I would have gotten a simpler press to get my feet wet. Do I think the Lee pro will be a good press, no doubt, but you have to learn to walk before you can run. .

Like I said before I would start simple then work my way up to a progressive. I am even thinking of getting a single stage press, to load rifle bullets in the future.

Hope this helps.

SY

#27 ·
but what is the advantage of single stage vs progressive other than price

TIME

also, if we wanna get into rifle rounds as well (7.62x54R right now),
which of these setups would work and what else would i need to get
DIES

Lets talk about the progressive. There are many many people who's first press was a progressive press. Although it can be intimidating at first, it is not rocket science. If you are the kind of person that risks getting cut every time you try to open your pocketknife, or one that cant do a few simples steps more than one or twice in a row, then you may be the type that needs a single stage press.

On the other hand, if you don't have the ability to reload safely on a progressive press, then I would question your ability to safely handle a firearm without endangering yourself or everyone around within a 2 mile radius.

If you can do any of the above in a efficient manner, and you value your time then consider a progressive. If time is of no consideration, if you only shoot a few magazines full or a couple of cylinders at a time and only do it a few times a year, then you probably wont get your full value from the progressive press...it would be like driving a Ferrari on the freeway and never getting over 25 miles per hour.

Only you can make that desicion. Most presses will handle rifle or pistol. Some will only handle pistol. Just make sure that whatever you get does what you want it to.

#28 ·
ok. so if he goes through 200-500 rounds / month, he quite mechanically inclined (he is an HVAC tech) would a progressive be ok, or is single stage really worth the learning experience? I'm sure he will take it slow and learn his stuff.

#30 ·
A single stage is great if you want to load lots of different calibers and/or experiment with different loads to find the most accurate, powerful, just for kicks, etc..

Progressive is ok. Just be careful you don't double charge a case or make yourself a squib because you can blow your hand off pretty easy that way. Its easy to become complacent using a progressive - you need to visually check every powder charge to be safe. With a single stage its easy to do things safe, it just takes more time.

I like my single stage press because I like to load 6 rounds of this, 6 rounds of that, and 6 rounds of the other thing and take them out and shoot them and see which I like the best. With a single stage its a piece of cake, if I were using a progressive it'd be a pain to break down the press and set it up again. Plus I'm just stingy.

Austin

#31 ·
ok. so if he goes through 200-500 rounds / month, he quite mechanically inclined (he is an HVAC tech) would a progressive be ok, or is single stage really worth the learning experience? I'm sure he will take it slow and learn his stuff.
How much time is he/you willing to spend loading? 500 rounds a month would be roughly equivalent to 10 hours of relaoding time with a single stage press, or 1 hour of time with a progressive.

I've started several people with a progressive. With a few minutes of instruction they take off and have no problems.FWIW, Ive been using a Progressive for 25 + years an not had one single double charge. If anything, the powder and primers will go so fast that you will load one without ethier if you arent paying attention.

Is the single stage worth the learning experience ? One he can say for sure. Talk to him about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.